SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Kitchen/Bath Remodel - Cabinets/Countertops that are "Timeless"

intelinside1
10 years ago

Hi gang,

I'm about to remodel my kitchen. I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep the old 1950s cabinets or go with something newer or more "modern".

I think to save money I'll hire people separately, like electric, plumbing, Floors, countertops and try to do as much stuff as I can myself.

Anyways any tips on saving money buy making the remodel nice would help or any pics that you recommend ;)

Also I was wondering about countertops/ cabinets. It seems like all white cabinets were out of style in the early 2000s and all dark cabinets were kind of "in" in the past 5 years. But now it seems like white cabinets with a dark counter is more "in" currently.

Would you say this is sort of a "trend"? What color combinations or styles will be "timeless"

It also seems like granite counters are out and quartz or manufactured natural solid materials are more "in"? Am I correct on this or is this not true?

Do you think that there are certain materials that are truly timeless?

Material options for counters: Naturals--soapstone, marble, granite, slate OR "man made"-- caesarstone, quartz, silestone. I'm in Los Angeles and it seems that granite is a lot cheaper then quartz or manufactured cesarstone options?

Do you think any of the materials could go out of style in a few years or granite might "return"?

I like granites that have lots of veins in them and are different from the cookie cutter spotted types that u see in every kitchen in Los Angeles. I also like dark and light beige/ white quartz but I wonder if quartz could go out of style?

Any other ideas?

Also does it save money to go with the pre-made cabinets from Home Depot/Lowes. Like the 'Hampton Bay' ones or is it just as cheap to order from a custom cabinet place.

Any resources, pics info or advice would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)