SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_ca

strange dishwasher stink question

kate_ca
12 years ago

Our dishwasher leaves our dishes stinky. I've tried everything under the sun and have given up and resolved to buying a new one this weekend. I'm not a fan of the thing in other ways, so it is time for it to go.

But... my husband brought up a question that has me worried.

The stink is a swampy, fishy smell. But, the stink only attaches itself to GLASS or PORCELAIN dishes.

You would think the stink would like plastic more, right? But, it's been going on for months and months and it is 100% only on the glass and porcelain. Glasses are just plain restaurant style heavy clear glass. Dishes are either plain white from pottery barn, or random mismatched porcelain. Nothing unusual.

My husband is worried I'll have my fancy new dishwasher with the same issue, he's just worried there's some odd reason why it is only the "hard" surfaces that are holding the stink that a new dishwasher won't fix.

I'll probably lose my mind if this continues. :) Any ideas why only certain items are holding the stink, and why those are the items you'd least expect? Or is it not weird that the glass and porcelain are the stink-holders?

(No other water-based appliances have any problems with smell.)

Help!

Comments (19)