SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexhouse_gw

Another redesign: Is this kitchen more functional?

Alex House
11 years ago

Hi again, I'm surfacing from my lair with a redesign of the kitchen that I wasn't too happy with the last time we talked.

Here's the new version:

I'm sad to report that one member (at least) here is still likely to get the heeby-jeebies from the orientation of the kitchen but as I've thought about it, I really like it because it feels less boxy (though it's still a box if you reorient it 45 degrees) because this orientation affords me a larger width at the entrance and the island provides a visual, as well as traffic, break.

Here's what I like:

1.) Traffic to banquette bypasses work triangle;

2.) Open space next to door + banquette - I just like the feel of that volume of space.

3.) I addressed the observation that there was too little workspace between the range and the sink.

4.) The raised DW had to go.

5.) Now there is adequate counter space on both sides of the sink.

6.) The prep sink is moved to the baking zone and I'm thinking that it might be useful to have adjacent to the banquette.

7.) The counter depth at the prep sink is 34" which allows me to have room for an appliance garage alongside that wall.

8.) I have 3 very deep (70") drawers, two under the banquette seating and one that runs under the prep sink, then underneath the full height cabinet nestled to the right of the banquette. Does anyone have anything like this, this deep, in their kitchens?

9.) I've surprisingly found myself with a small pantry that I didn't plan on having.

10.) I've moved by bulk storage of potatoes and such to the wall adjacent to the fridge where I can run a small ventilation system through the outside wall if I get really ambitious in my tinkering. You know where I got this idea? I watched the video of the 1950 kitchen someone put up here and they had these bins that recessed into the wall right near the sink. That got me thinking. I had a closet on the backside of that wall, so why not recess some drawers above the countertop into that wall, super-insulate that closet and run it at a cooler temperature than the rest of the house. I still have some more calculatin' to do on this scheme, measuring the pros vs. cons, but I'm putting it out there for fresh eyes to give it a look-see.

So, I open the plan for comments. Does the kitchen look functional, does it improve functionality compared to the previous version? Do you see room for improvement?

For comparison, here's the old version:

Comments (9)