SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

choosing a grout color for tile

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

I am picking up a discontinued rectified Porcelain 18" tile in shades of white, beige, some gray veins and taupe for my kitchen tomorrow. I feel in love with this tile when I saw it in my neighbor's home and when I called, they told me it was discontinued and they had only so many feet left. It is 6 square feet more than I need at the 10% extra but I decided to buy it since I loved the look of my neighbor's floor and they have the same kitchen as me but they have prettier cherry cabinets and granite counters in their kitchen.

I will post pictures when I have more than the tiny two samples here. I know when I chose the grout for my Akoya Bone tiles in my two small foyer areas, I chose as close to the lighter color in side the tile resulting in choosing Laticrete Spectra-lock Mushroom (looks like a light taupe to me). Since there are so many neutral colors in the tile would I be better off choosing more of an off-white or a Mushroom or a darker toasted almond color? My neighbors chose an off-white color but they are not sure of the name and it is staining since they never sealed it. It is very pretty and keeps the floor looking more on the lighter side but I also know too light of a grout is difficult to keep clean.

Hence, how does one go about choosing the grout color and grout brand when choosing tile floors instead of wood floors for the kithen? I chose tile since I have a sliding door in the kitchen and I let my little dogs in and out of the kitchen so I feel tile can handle the snow better in the winter time and wet little doggie feet.

The Laticrete Spectrolock grout has been staining when it was supposed to not stain so I am wondering if I am better off going with another brand and sealing the tile instead.

Comments (5)