SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisynot

Dark stained floors in limited light

lazydaisynot
12 years ago

We're gearing up to have our existing red oak floors refinished. They run throughout the main floor and are currently fairly light (and yellowed). I'm interested in going with a medium brown but am concerned about darkening the feel of our home. We live in Seattle and our winters tend to be very grey. We do have plenty of windows, but just standard ceiling height. The kitchen is white with a black island top; living spaces have a mix of woods, mostly medium toned (dining table is a pine farm table). Upholstery and paint colors are serene beachy tones of soft golds, greens; all rooms have white trim and white crown moulding.

I know we can have the floor guys put test patches of stain on the floor to decide how they look in our space, but I'm not sure how we'll visualize how the feel of the spaces will change if, instead of a warm light-medium tone underfoot, there's a rich brown throughout the main floor.

Any advice from those of you have switched from lighter to darker wood floors wood be much appreciated. I love the look of nini804's kitchen which I'll post below (hope you don't mind, nini!), but our spaces are not as large as hers.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)