SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Refurbishing a kitchen in a 1925 home

JHZR2
9 years ago

Hi,

Were renovating our kitchen in our 1925 home. It was last refurbished in the early 1950's based upon the age of the stove (electric).

I am really torn, Ive searched on here, seen lots of discussions and lots of pictures. But we can't decide what are the right design cues for what we desire to be a "bit more" oriented to the original design of the home, yet retain modern efficiency and convenience.

Our kitchen isnt the largest, but regardless, we cannot get our heads around the cabinet colors. We have a baseline design and a selected cabinet in white painted, and another in a medium stained color. We love both, which makes it harder.

Ive heard that white is better in a smaller kitchen, and it also seems to me that NO images Ive seen of 1920's era kitchens show wood cabinets. Now, we do have one original piece in our butler's pantry that IS wood, but it seems that the cabinets typically used in those may have been more formal and more commonly wood, while the kitchens themselves were more sanitary and white/enameled with maybe a rubberized floor (which we do have affixed directly onto the wood beneath).

Were not looking to do a true 1925 kitchen with 45" stove, hoosier cabinets and other such things But we want to make it look reasonably realistic to the era WRT the cabinets. Any guidance?

I know some of these things may also not be true to 1925, but we are thinking checkerboard cork floor, some variant of tan granite counter, and perhaps tin ceiling.

So just looking for some thoughts and guidance, because my wife and I are going to go crazy if we dont start hearing some thoughts from others... We can only bounce our ideas off each other so much...

Thanks for your guidance!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor