SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Gumwood Kitchen -- Attic Mag

sayde
12 years ago

Our gumwood kitchen has just been published on AtticMag. Allison did a lovely feature and I am thrilled! (If anyone would like to post the link I would be grateful.)

Since I knew this would be published I have postponed posting updated photos here.

Thank you Allison! And thank you to all of you who have been so supportive and helpful along the way. We could not have done this without Garden Web!

Comments (33)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

What a wonderful write up for such a special kitchen! Such a special reveal as well--on AtticMag!!!!

I've added the link for you. Don't know how to change it once it is not the day's featured article though.

Here is a link that might be useful: sayde's kitchen on AtticMag

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sayde and Cat Mom. Sayde, the kitchen turned out wonderful. Such a nice thing to not send the cabinets to the dump! Your DH did such a great job. Hope you'll post a picture of the radiator cover when he gets it done. Everything you've showed me he has made around the house is just beautiful! Lucky you!

Thank you for allowing me to write it up. I hope you are both happy with the results.

Cat Mom, if you click on the post title, it gives a different URL to just that post:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Gumwood Cabinet Kitchen

• Related Discussions

Eye candy kitchen on AM

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow! You're right that this is a serious eye-popping kitchen. I can't even imagine how much this cost. The details are just amazing. The under cabinet dog feeding station is really interesting. I have been contemplating what to do with my dog's food and water bowl when I remodel and I hadn't even thought to use the space under a sink, but it's an interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
    ...See More

How many years? Life expectancy of Kitchen

Q

Comments (18)
    My kitchen still has the cabinets, counter and backsplash that were installed in 1950 when the house was built. The cabinets are solid wood, were painted when we bought the house in 1989 and I repainted them in the early '90s. They are still functional although the the drawers have no glides so sawdust now sprinkles the pots and pans below. No dishwasher of course and there are corner cabinets that are a real annoyance in terms of layout. The countertop and backsplash are tile. Some chips but still in decent shape. The grout however is tragic. Stained, chipped in places, impossible to clean. Here is a picture. Everything on the right is original except the drawer/cabinet pulls. Well, and the mess: I'm hoping to demo at the beginning of August...RIP elderly kitchen.
    ...See More

Whose kitchen is this?

Q

Comments (4)
    I remembered it was "claudeliz" while away from the computer (didn't see it on AM in the house tour). Searching for her name came up empty - probably scrolled off. It's been awhile since she's posted. Sorry.
    ...See More

Attic mag 'sinks we love' page gone - looking for sink reveal inf

Q

Comments (3)
    They redid the site. This should work. Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Mag Farm Sinks
    ...See More
  • schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

It is special, I like very much. The space and those windows are so nice. You'll probably think I'm fibbing, but as soon as I saw it, it reminded me of a 1911-12 Tudor mansion kitchen. Then I read where your house is a Tudor revival.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Congrats on being featured in such a special way. Your kitchen is very deserving of being shown off. It's just so....so....lovely? Yes, but that word isn't good enough. Stunningly lovely? Stlovely? LOL! I think about your kitchen often, especially the butterflies which so befit your space.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It does look like it's been there since the house was build, *and better than the original. Very nice job.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Thanks Allison--learned something new!!!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Fantastic!! I mean really fantastic! I am not exaggerating when I tell you that your kitchen has definitely landed a spot on my GW All Time Faves list! What a magnificent job you, did. And extra special kudos are due to that master carpenter, Don. I love everything about your kitchen. So much so, that I can't even pick out one aspect over another. Everything works together as a seamlessly gorgeous whole that pays due respect to the old even as it enhances it with the new. And, to think --as I look at these photos, there's nary a hint of all the changes you went through in order to get to this place! Woo hoo! Be very proud and enjoy!

BTW, hats off to Allison as well for that great write-up in Attic Mag! I guess when it comes to naming favorites, I'll have to nominate AM as one of the overall best design blogs to be found anywhere on the net!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Deborah and Don, Congratulations again on your so so beautiful kitchen and the article in AM.

It's a kitchen which has luxurious surfaces that scream out to be petted, fondled. Everything is so perfect together.

Especially that sunlight sparkling through. Enjoy. Westsider.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

When I first conceived of our new kitchen, I wanted stained wood (old style) with a wood (probably mahogany) topped island and marble counters. I searched high and low and never saw the kind of wood I had in my mind for the cabs. It was either too rustic or too fine. I had never heard of gumwood. Now I know if I ever move and do another kitchen, this is what I will strive for!

I love how your new kitchen looks like it belongs and has been lovingly providing meals since the house was built. It is stunning!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! It has such character and charm and I love those cabinets. Congratulations on being featured on attic mag!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

One of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen here, just charming. It's outstanding.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

One of my favorite kitchens; I never tire of studying it. Congratulations!

And that's a great article, Allison!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

It turned out TERRIFIC! Love it. So much character. I loved those gumwood cabinets as soon as I saw them and think you did a great job restoring them. Gotta say, am a huge fan of your tile and BUTTERFLIES!Congrats. The brass looks great!

• User
    12 years ago

sayde-

Beautiful, stunning transformation, and good on you for reusing and repurposing those gumwood cabs. I love all your choices, especially the Danby marble, range hood and counters. You have created a truly warm and welcoming space.

Waving at ya from the North Country-

sandyponder

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thank you, Marthavila and Flwrs n co. :)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Breath taking kitchen and one of my favorite blogs! You deserve the recognition... Enjoy it, and that awe-inspiring kitchen!!!!!!!!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

• sayde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I so appreciate them all!

Am just thrilled to have had the opportunity to have a tribute to my DH's long labor of love via Allison's lovely AtticMag feature. It was a perfect finale to our long DIY kitchen saga.

• laurielou177
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Love the checkerboard floors and walnut island. What did you use to finish your island countertop?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention, I love that you did the floors in brown and white, rather than black and white. It's a little bit unexpected.

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Darn! I dearly love this kitchen. It just makes me melt. I even love the "befores," but I really, really, really love the after!

• sayde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi laurielou, We used Waterlox on all the surfaces including the top of the island. Then we put paste wax on the island top. I'm nervous about scratching it, but it is natural, not stained, and the Waterlox surface can repaired without stripping.

• laurielou177
    12 years ago

I'm curious as to why you put paste wax on top of the waterlox? Was this for the look or function of the island top? We are still deciding on waterlox, or some of the plain oils (sometimes mixed w/beeswax or citrus)for our general food prep countertops. Thanks. And, I do wish we'd had your cabinets to start with!

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

From a fellow Upstate New Yorker....Stunning....absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

• Orlando1
    12 years ago

Sayde! Congratulations. Your kitchen is so inviting, and warm, and beautiful! I simply love to look at it.

I have wondered: what kind of tile did you use on your floor, and how big are the squares (9x9?).

• sayde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The floor tiles are Seneca Select Hand Mold tiles. They are 6x6 and the colors are Espresso and Cappuchino. They have a hand made feel to them-- both the glaze and the form of the tile, with random little divots that made them feel right with the old gumwood.

We used the wax as extra protection and we just like the look of a wax finish, but over four coats of Waterlox you don't really need wax.

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Sayde,

How exciting to finally see your beautifully restored gumwood kitchen! It is a real treat!! You and your DH are so very clever and have nailed the period perfectly! I know you had some bumps along the way but what a fabulous finish! The cabinets, the leaded panes, the island, the Vermont marble, the hunter green Blue Star, the sink and the windows and on and on....WOW!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to both of you!!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

That kitchen is outstanding. Looks marvelous!

• Orlando1
    12 years ago

Thank you for the reply about the tiles, Sayde. I realize I should have read the AtticMag article more carefully, since it says right there: "Seneca Select hand-molded 6�6 tiles in Espresso and Cappuchino were chosen for the flooring." The information about sealing the tiles is especially helpful! Congratulations again!

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

I echo all the above praises for a brilliant and sensitive kitchen design that absolutely maintains the integrity of an original period kitchen. I think you have recreated a period working kitchen more closely than almost any other I have seen and you cleverly resisted over-adorning the design. I adore your backsplash/hood wall in its simplicity and functionality. Amazing how the new kitchen basically maintains the previous layout yet is transformed in the feeling of space and light. Great to see the cooking appliances being the focal point now. I love how the shape of your hood echoes the pot rack. The island is simply stunning and it looks really functional. Congratulations! Enjoy!

• sayde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, Beachpea, and everyone else who commented-- thank you so much! It has been so gratifying to read what everyone has had to say -- and especially to have Don see the comments. (He is still working on all the remaining details).

Orlando, I think my response was confusing -- the wax and waterlox was used on the wood island top. I wrote about this in response to laurielou's question. The tiles were only sealed with tile sealer.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

What a wonderful job! Amazing craftmanship and such a loving eye! One of my all-time favorites.
    Lynn

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Orlando, I edited to add "6x6 tiles in Espresso and Cappuchino" after Sayde posted the info here. I went back and asked her name/color of many things but the story is so long I missed this. (So thanks for asking!) It takes time to crop/resize pictures and write a post so the story goes along with the photos. I decide on pictures first, then what order, then I write.

Glad everyone is enjoying their kitchen. :)

• Orlando1
    12 years ago

Thank you for the follow-ups, Sayde and Allison! They are helpful!