SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyz_gw

Kitchen Cabinet Refinish/Reface Options

lindseyz
9 years ago

Hi All -

This is my first post to the forums but my husband and I are avid DIY-ers and we are finishing up renovations on our first home.

A few months ago we tiled our kitchen floors and backsplash and had new granite installed. We also added a large breakfast bar peninsula where there was previously a pony wall. We knew at the time that replacing the cabinets would have been cost prohibitive ($6K+) because it's a first home that we expect to turn into a rental in 3-4 years. That being said, we know that the honey oak and dated door style will not work either so we are contemplating options.

1. Cheapest - Use walnut/java gel stain combination to refinish existing doors to a nice medium brown, replace hinges with concealed hinges, no hardware (The current doors have grooves at the bottom for opening so we can't install knobs) Approximated cost for materials (my labor is free) = $500

2. Mid-grade - Order unfinished doors from local millworks and install with concealed hinges. Then use walnut/java gel stain combination on frames and new doors to match. Install hardware. Approximate cost for materials:
New Doors $1800-$2000
Hinges $250
Hardware $100
Stain $150
Total = $2500

3. Professional - find a refacing company that will order new doors and veneer the existing frames to the walnut look that we want. Includes concealed hinges and knobs. After some preliminary research this seems the least likely option since tons of reviewers have complained about the quality and longevity of the refacing materials as well as really high prices. I've heard of bids approaching the $5K range which won't cut it.

Budget is $2k-$2.5K

We are leaning towards the second option.. but then another question that I have is:

Since I'm going to spend the money to order new doors, should I order them in a more attractive/less grainy wood like cherry or maple and then just stain the oak frames to match? Will this look really bad or will it be hard to tell with a dark cabinet color? I'm very handy and don't think the labor/skill is a problem, but wondering if anyone has experience with this in the past?

Will post additional photos in comments.

Comments (16)