SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyler23_gw

Butcherblock Countertops - finishing for scratch resistance

10 years ago

Hi All -

My wife & I recently discovered that under our disgusting salmon-colored laminate counters resided butcherblock slabs. We spent a week sanding, staining and finishing them to the desired look. The counters are a very, very dark, almost black, where you don't really know they are wood until you get close to them. This is exactly what we wanted.

Because this is a food prep area (we have NO intention of ever cutting on these), we finished/sealed it with General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. The counters came out beautifully overall, although they are a bit glossier than we would have liked, but can live with it.

The problem is the finish appears to scratch very easily (I mean VERY). Last night we had a pot of water sitting on a folder towel for a couple hours. The edges of the towel actually left marks. They have gone down a bit today, but are still there. (We did not drag anything across the counters; just set it straight down).

We would like to put something tougher over the top of this but we are not sure what. We do NOT want to have to re-sand the counters to remove the Salad Bowl Finish. Looking around online we see some people recommending pretty hard-core lacquers like they use on restaurant tables, others say Tung oil with citrus solvent, and many other things.

I would like to ask for opinions on what options we might have. We don't know if a lacquer or Tung oil is something we could put right over the top of the Salad Bowl Finish and have it stick.

FYI: we finished this project two weeks ago, and while we know a "full cure" could be a month or more, it's pretty ridiculous how easy these scratch. Starting to regret using the SBF in the first place.

Thanks for any help.

Tyler

Comments (14)