SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Are these contractor estimates reasonable? Or wishful thinking?

LoPay
10 years ago

I got my labor estimate from the contractor and I'm hoping he misplaced some decimal points on his worksheet. I live in the upper Midwest, and we are not changing the footprint of the kitchen or moving any walls, windows or doors.

Total labor and materials not including the cabinets and counter tops material and install was over $33,000.
- Almost 6K for drywall and painting allowance - we should only have to take out a partial wall and patch the ceiling where the lights go in.
-Another 6K for electrical rough in, installation, supplies and fixtures allowance.
-Almost 4K for 30 feet of baseboard material and installation.
-Combined charges of $3400 for site cleaning, supervision, and debris removal.
-The cabinet and floor installation were reasonable at around 4K each.

I'm not into nickel and diming, but 6K for a dozen can lights, under counter lighting and putting in GFI outlets seems pretty high. Likewise with 4K for 30 feet of base boards.

The base boards estimate has to be a mistake, but would I get laughed at expecting the electrical and drywall/painting work to be at least half of the estimate?

Also some items were listed as allowance and some not. Thanks to some recent threads, I will make sure that every item's cost is defined as fixed or time and materials before work begins.

Comments (16)