SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gena_hooper

I need some handholding please (backsplash)

Gena Hooper
13 years ago

Yesterday, my dh and I laid out the backsplash. We're designing our own custom blend (the result of buying seconds). Some history. We found this tile early in the kitchen design, and our selections were chosen to complement it. The backsplash pulls it all together: the green of the cabinets, the white of the trim and the marble, the gray of the stainless, marble veining, and cabinets, and the cream walls. Now that it's mostly done, I'm really worried it's too crazy. Then I read the old thread about loud backsplashes and how eye-straining they are, and my worry meter has just pegged out.

Plus, we're just short of tile, and will either make a run to New Hampshire Tuesday or have the tile maker express us more tile. Part of me just wants to run to the nearest tile dealer and buy some simple cream crackle tile. Urgh!!

Comments (47)

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

I LOVE it! The rest of your choices are simple and understated and I think it's going to be the item that puts your kitchen over the top into wonderful. I had a similar concern with a predesigned backsplash I have chosen and I am going to be a bit safe and place the mosaic only in an accent line in a field of white subways but my issue is also expense driven since the mosaic I fell in love with is $24 per square foot. If I were you, and expense was not an issue, I'd dive in. I love what you have laid out. Very tasteful and complementary to your cabinet color.

Go for it!

Rene

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Your tile pattern does NOT look loud to me, at least from the angle of the photographs. I'm thrown off though by the color and pattern of whatever the tiles are sitting on in the first two photographs. Is that playwood? The cool green tiles are beautiful and seem like they work well with the cab color, which is also yummy BTW. Is there a way to see the tiles nearer your dark countertop to judge better how they look with that? (I can't wait to see your finished kitchen!! You've got so much natural light!)

• Related Discussions

I need a backsplash! Please help with design? (pics)

Q

Comments (30)
    Wow. Such great ideas! Love the tiles from sonoma. I am really embracing the idea of blues now, especially the delft. My everyday dishes are blue and white. After looking through a few of my inspiration magazines and photos from when I started all this, the ceramic and blue seems to fit right in with my overall long-term decor theme. I found something blue to put there to help me visualize how well it works, and I think it does! You guys are brilliant! So, IÂm thinking maybe some dark brownish/red field tiles along the inner sides of the cabinets and as a background surrounding perhaps a rectangular insert of blue and cream patterned tiles like in some of boxerpups images above. What do you think? Or would that be too contrasty? I wish I were better at photoshop. Also, what about adding wood corbels under the 2 side cabs? Would that help anchor the hood or just look silly?
    ...See More

some help with backsplash please

Q

Comments (10)
    In my old backsplash(I demoed it last week, so I cannot get a better picture for you), the backsplash ended at the cabinet line, NOT at the overhang. I'm not sure if you can see it all that well in this picture, but it is where the black toaster is located. It is a 6 in back splash and it ends right about where the toaster is, so you can see there is a bit of an overhang where the countertop is, but there was no backsplash over that small area. The only way I think this would look really out of place-following the counter line and not the cabinet line-would be if you have a REALLY busy backsplash. If that is the case, I'd get a large sample and tape them up and step back and take pictures and see which placement is the most pleasing to the eye.
    ...See More

Do I Need BackSplash? Help with Suggestions!

Q

Comments (27)
    Posted by budgeteer_s (My Page) on Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 18:18 Thanks for all your suggestions. I wanted so much to follow with ci_lantro's suggestion because then I'm done. I'll gladly let you snatch that paint brush out of my hand. ha ha. But at the same time if a little tiling will tie up the project, then I'm game. jodi_socal: I'm a little disappointed when you said fire and ice won't work. I just LOVE that F&I BS. But then agin, I think I know all along it's a little too much for my kitchen. Caryscott & petra: Thanks for the picture petra, it says a thousand words. Is spectralight glass tiles? Prices are pretty reasonable. What about that milk green color? will it work? maybe with some garnet pieces sparingly mixed in. I will take some pictures and post two HD Behr's paint card to aid in the discussion of color. Thanks again ALL! Correction: My tiles were Alfagres: Gema4x4: different from what caryscott posted: I loved what caryscott linked:
    ...See More

Advice Needed on Kitchen Tile Back-Splash and LVT/LVP Flooring Color

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Chispa, House is a townhouse built in 1996, trying to modernize the look. As far as decorating style, I like modern/contemporary, nothing too funky. Something that would be cohesive with the rest of the kitchen, and bring the kitchen to life a little. It's very white right now.
    ...See More
  • dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the idea of a line of mosaics in the midst of calmer field tile. If you were gung ho about the style of doing all mosaics, then by all means do that, but I hear hesitation which could just be fear of the unknown or your gut telling you to reign it in. Only you can know which it is...

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the green. What you've chosen is absolutely perfect. I hope you don't change a thing. If you have to, duct tape some of it up there and see what you think but like others said above, you have nothing busy going on so you can pull this look off in your space. Just think, you have a mosaic and then you'll put a few large solid things up, like a utensil crock for instance, that will break up the mosaic. I can't wait to see your finished kitchen, this is going on my favorites list already!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the backsplash is laid out on plywood and brown paper. Didn't want to scratch the counters and wanted to be able to move it all for the plumber.

A line of mosaics...I went back and stared at my kitchen for the millionth time. I'm unsure. I want an unstudied, casual look, and a line of mosaics says "designed" to me. For example, above the range, I'm doing a simple sheet of stainless. Of course, my kitchen has been designed to the nth degree, but I want it to look casual. As if I tossed it all up there. Does that make any sense at all? Now I'm starting to sound like a crazy person.

(Disclaimer: This is no way denigrates any lines of mosaics in other backsplashes. This is just my own personal quirk about my kitchen.)

Here's a photo of some tiles with counter (soapstone...not the marble) and wall color.

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And thank you for the kitchen love!!! I love that I can come here and get support and advice and critiques. I don't know what I'd do without you guys.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Especially if you're doing something solid (the stainless) behind the range, my opinion is to stick with the mosaic. Sometimes, having a carefully planned mix of mosaic and tile, broken up with tile molding can look a bit contrived too. Not that I don't love those backsplashes too, it's just that it can look "not effortless". No matter what you do, as long as you use some of that mosaic, it will be beautiful!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I think you're on the right track with your backsplash and I'm thrilled that you're doing something more unique than cream crackle, although that would be attractive. The tones and combination are perfect for your other finishes. I have a couple of questions about your plans: 1) Which wall surfaces do you plan to cover with the backsplash tile and how high up the walls will you go? and 2) Would you consider reducing the number of green tiles by 25%, replacing these with cream, gray, and yellow, as an experiment to see if that makes you more comfortable? (Personally, I wouldn't do this, because I like a lot of color, but what I think I'm hearing from you is a reticence about the amount of color. If you experiment with a defined percentage diminution, that may indicate to you whether your sensibilities will be satisfied with an emphasis on the paler components of your composition. Does that make sense?) Make note of where you are temporarily removing/replacing tiles, even photograph the resulting composition, so that you can re-create the original composition, should you decide you liked it, after all, or want to do a combination of the two versions, following a side-by-side comparison, etc. I happen to like the strength of the current composition because I feel it will stand up to the strength of the black AGA and soapstone. The kitchen is going to be a stunner! Sheesh, this turned out to be long winded.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Your tile is perfect. You've built your entire kitchen vision around it... you HAVE to see it through fruition! It's unique, subtle, beautiful... just like your kitchen. Definitely no field tile. It's not that it doesn't look good... but it brings a more... rookie's description of "contrived" look to your kitchen is a perfect way to express it.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

What if you just ran a row of plainer (crackle?) tiles in a large format at the bottom of the bs and then used the mosaics for the top part?
    If you flip your pic upside down, that would be the look. This way they are not running through the field, but sitting on top of it. I think a quarter round in the field color or 1 to 2 inch bull nose top just to make it a clean edge would be very nice.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I fell in love with your tile when you showed it in the thread the other day. I think it's great. 2 suggestions: Put a good section of it on the wall somehow to see how it looks. IF it's too 'wild' for you, I wouldn't add field tile, but would instead replace some of the green and make it more of a random accent with the colors that are closer together making up more of the total. Hope that makes sense.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

How did you decide where each color goes? I'm leaning heavily toward doing the same thing but in browns,creams,tan,off white and white.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

You needn't worry about a "busy" backsplash because nothing else rivals it and the scale is good. This is going nicely.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I just love it! I don't think it is loud at all, and it will look perfect in your kitchen. Go for it!

• sis2two
    13 years ago

I am coming in here a little late butI think your tile choice couldn't be more perfect with your other choices. When I first saw them in an earlier post, I remember thinking what a perfect combination! And remember I'm a creamy crackle kinda girl so I don't say this lightly. Go with your gut- it is normal to second guess yourself at this point. I did the same thing and am glad I stayed my original course. Good luck.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Put up what you're planning. It will look super. You've got a good blend. Don't overthink it or get too clever by half.

Usually the tiles that become problemmatic have one/more very dark elements that creates the buzz. Yours doesn't.

If you're really concerned, create a cartoon on 11x16 paper taped together. Trace the outlines and color it in with colored pencils then tape it up. You'll be able to see exactly how it will look.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I don't think there is any question the colors of this backsplash go with your cabinets/countertops. These tiles were the inspiration that got you to a color palette and materials that it sounds like you love (yay!)

Does that mean you have to use the tiles? Not necessarily.

It sounds like question now is-does this tile and this backsplash design still support the vision you are going for in your kitchen? Have you modified your original vision or has it evolved in some way since you found that tile at the beginning? Is what is bothering you perhaps that the colors are right, but the "feel"/style is now not quite right? (Not trying to lead you to that conclusion-I certainly don't know-just trying to explore whether this fear is something to dismiss or something to listen to.)

These are just my projections/assumptions, but when I saw the color/style of your cabinets (which I LOVE!) I thought you were leaning towards more classic/"old house" (which I also love) details. To me this backsplash is more modern than I expected, but perhaps that is just the counterpoint "edge" that you are after to have your kitchen stand out. (In my case, we're also doing a very classic/old house kitchen and our counterpoint will be more industrial faucets)

My "everything can't be the star" philosophy again-do you want the backsplash to be the star? Or did you want your counters or cabinets or ... to be one of the first things that you notice when you walk in your kitchen? To me that backsplash would be (at least one of) your stars-which is great-if that is consistent with your vision.

I did have the same idea that kitchendetective mentioned above-maybe reduce the number of green tiles and see if that gives you the...calmer? feeling you're after by having just a bit less contrast?

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I like the idea of something more muted.
    I think what you have chosen has WOW factor but it definitely BOLD and you may want something more muted/stylistically different later on. Having a more muted/toned down backsplash would allow you to accessorize with items on the counter, fabric etc and change that when your taste/decor changes.
    Just my opinion. I tend to be much less bold and more neutral in my design and color palatte.

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

pickle2,

again, i hope you don't cave in. go for it. it's lovely. stick with your instinct and don't overthink it. if you are using a stainless sheet for the stove back then it'll be just the right amount of wow to make the kitchen yours, spectacularly yours!

Ne

• stevie_2010
    13 years ago

Wow, I had a really similar dilemma. I fell in love with a backsplash a lot like yours but in different colors. I have a small kitchen with most other elements subdued, and the KD wannabe in me really thought I should just go for it. But I was worried and had seen so many threads about people hating busy backsplashes and I was afraid I was about to ruin my new kitchen. DH was even more worried than I was. So we "tamed" it a little by bordering it with marble tiles above and below. Here are some pics in case that helps. I like what we have, but also wonder how it would have looked if we'd had the guts to do it all.

I think your choice is gorgeous and you will love it. But I'm posting mine just in case it helps you to see this option.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I think you're going to be fine and you'll love it. Everyone second guesses everything and I think that's all that's going on. Your colors will have just enough difference to look good on the wall - you don't need no stinkin' wax paper.

The only thing I can think of to do a good preview is color copies of the tile mix.

• cindaloutx
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, and so is your tile. I think it would be beautiful as the whole backsplash, but like others have said, only you can decide if that's what you want to be the "star" of your kitchen.
    Blending some ideas here, can you mock up a stretch of backsplash with the tiles all the way up and take a picture, have a band of the beautiful finger tiles with some plain field tile and mock up a small area and take a picture. Move the band up and down and see how that works. (If you can't tape the actual tiles in place, for my bathroom I ended up scanning my accent tile and using photo-shop to make big sheets of it, then pinning those papers all over the bathroom to decide the pattern)
    My personal idea - how would it look to keep the mosiac below the windowsill and then a more neutral tile above?

• cindaloutx
    13 years ago

Whoops, left something unsaid:
    By "and take a picture of it" , I didn't mean to let strangers vote, but for you and your family to set out side-by-side and see which you like best.

• gypsabelle
    13 years ago

I think your tile is beautiful and not at all loud. It would give your kitchen nice visual interest without being too busy. Can't wait to see the final result, however you decide to use it!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I would photocopy it or tape it up (as suggested by several posters). I love your colors--quite muted and very harmonious--and don't think it will be too busy, but taping it up would be the best way to make absolutely sure you'll be happy.

Pickle, your instincts have been absolutely correct thus far--trust your instincts on this. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen--I know it's going to feel like home. :)

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

I love those colors and the tiles are beautiful.

If you are comfortable using Google Sketch-up, you can take a picture of your layout, load it into your computer and use it as a "paint" for your backsplash. The 3D view might be helpful.

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Tust your gut feeling pickle2 and go for the backsplash you envisioned. They are gorgeous colours and the backsplash will be the 'jewel in the crown'.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Just one more vote -- I think your backsplash will look wonderful in your kitchen -- they look like they were "made for each other" --which they were! I don't think it is too bold or noisy at all -- and I'm someone who always leans toward quiet.

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for handholding. I put up some of the tile with painter's tape and looked at it. Over and over. A bit obsessively. And decided I like it. The colors are really soft. I may pull out the very darkest green tiles, but everything depends on what Trikeenan has in stock. It's handmade tile, and they're a small company so we shall see tomorrow.

I don't know if I have a look I'm aiming for other than happy, relaxed, slightly vintage, slightly English, slightly eccentric. Vintage English Eclectic? Random Stuff That Makes Me Happy?

We've started putting in cream and gray checkerboard Marmoleum Click in the nearby mudroom. There's a line of sight where you can see both the Marmoleum and the backsplash. There's a nice interplay there too.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Not to be a wet blanket, but people do need to be aware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just an FYI

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yikes!!! I had no idea!!! Well, I'd better run to NH tomorrow and get all the tile I can then, just in case. That's just too bad. They were the nicest people, and their tile was absolutely gorgeous. Plus, they reused glaze and had other eco-friendly practices. It's still such a difficult economy. I hope that they manage to get through this somehow.

• dkbc
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the colors of the cabinets and think you should go for the backsplash you have laid out. Could you show a pic of the taped up pieces of tile? Someone else asked how you figured out the lay out with the different colors-I would like to know too. How did you make it look random and flow so nice at the same time?!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I know I am late to the party, pickle, but I love what you are doing with your kitchen and could not help chiming in. What you have picked looks lovely and soft and a sweet transition to the contrast of your kitchen, the counter & stove. I don't know what you decided on for the walls - I recall a soft yellow retro feel was considered and with this tile I would probably go in the direction to add another "color" albeit soft color, for accent that connects the BS and the rest of the kitchen together. I would avoid the mushroom color for fear of being monochromatic with that BS, but only you can tell in person if that would be the case.

I tend to prefer mosaics low on contrast (different shades of similar colors versus the bold constrast) so might consider pulling some of the darker tiles, but honestly in the photos it is really hard for me to accurately tell what is darker and if it really matters, especially at the natural distance any person would be from the tile, even when cooking.

I understand the desire to want your kitchen to look casual, like it just came out that way but I hate to tell you that yours is going to look casual, natural but not accidental (and I mean that in a good way.) To me it will have the old school euro/english feel to it (I love it as well) but honestly the tile you choose, being small scale brings it a little contemporary, in a good way. The material choice does keep it classic. If you really wanted to go classic you would stick the the regular shaped subway (no way am I suggesting you do that.)

I only go into detail on analysis of this because I am struggling with the same questions regarding a traditional feel or a splash of "today" in the back splash. I obsessed for a bit of wanting a kitchen that would look amazing 20-30-40 years from now. Classic, but not dull, serene but exciting, casual but with some panache. I think your BS does that.

Please feel free when I start panicking to give me a clear view of what you are seeing & an opinion.

My opinion is lovely, warm, soft, classic, unexpected and unique. A kitchen to cook in :)

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I forgot to address the blend creation question. My dh and I work very differently. I just eyeball an area and move pieces about to create what I feel looks pleasing and random. My dh divides an area into equal sheets and creates a mathematical proportion that he feels looks good. For example, each 18-tile sheet will have 5 white, 5 gray, 4 green, and 4 cream. Or something like that. The ways we work complement each other. He'll look at my work and do the math to make sure that I'm staying relatively consistent. I'll look at his work and rearrange some pieces to create more flow.

I'll try to post a photo tomorrow of the tile stuck up with blue tape. Big day tomorrow. My son's first day of middle school and my call for more tile to the declared-bankrupt tile manufacturer. We may have to get creative. Eek!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I'm freaking out a bit. Trikeenan is not answering their phone. I don't know if they're having an "all hands" meeting because of their situation or if they've closed down. I think I need a fallback design. I hope they're just busy or in a meeting this morning.

What about doing the full design on the Cooking Apple run (the L), and then doing white subway with the mosaic as a detail on the Old White run? I know I said no designed line, but we may be in a "be creative with what we have" mode.

Here's the tile on the wall. Love blue tape! As my husband says, who needs mastic? The cream paint is less goldenrod and more cream than it appears on the photo. It looks almost just like the tile.

If I don't hear from them, I may start a new thread because I need to figure out the best thing to do with the tile I have. Eeeek! Nothing like a little Tuesday morning stress!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to add a quick update. The tile is up and grouted, and it looks exactly as I'd hoped. Thanks to everyone who held my hand and reassured me that all would be well. My neighbor came by, and the one thing she singled out was the backsplash.

I think we'll be doing the painted panel for the Old White cabinets.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

What a tease you are! You cannot just post a foot or 2 of it! We want more..............

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Sometimes you just need to pay with angst up front to get a good outcome. You ended up with a smashing outcome, and I hope you conclude that it is well worth it. Congrats.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Cool. I love it.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Very nice pickle2, I am so happy for you that everything came out so pretty and how you wanted.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

It reallly turned out great. I wish I could put the tile colors together like that and have it look right.
    What happened with more tile? You must not have gotten any? Are they closed? I missed out on the plan for the Old white.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

It really came out spectacular. I'm so glad you didn't back out because this I'm sure makes the kitchen "sing."

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I'm with Dianalo...I want to see how it looks in the kitchen, not just the tiny closeup. Looks great. Glad you love it. Also wondering whatever happened with Trikeenan.

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Lovely tile, lovely close-up. Now we'd like to see more!!!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

pickle, it looks wonderful. I can't tell, but it looks like you left some of the darker green, which I think tie in the cabinets so wonderfully.

I'll add my two cents for more pics --it would be great to have a picture of the kitchen from the same angle as your third picture in your original post, so we can see "before" and "after"!

And I love the idea of Relaxed Vintage English Eccentric Eclectic : ) -- I'll have to remember that when I start this process.

Becky

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

LOL, a new acronym for the 'Read Me' thread. RVEEE--your kitchen will be cited as a perfect example of the style! Everything looks wonderful!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! We're still in the moving back in stage, and we also don't have a pantry yet. So everything is on the counters. I don't know if you can even see the backsplash anymore! I'll take more photos once things have settled in.

(Oh, and I realized after re-reading my post that it sounded like I was only thanking those who assured me things would be well. Poorly written. I meant to thank everyone who responded with other ideas, etc.)

About Trikeenan, they did answer their phones, but didn't have tile in stock. I believe they're still in business though I'd definitely talk with them to confirm their current status. .It's so sad the toll the economy is taking on these cool small businesses.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths