SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Counter seam at undermount sink?

kmcg
12 years ago

Hi all - I've found some old threads on this question that comes up now and then, so I apologize if this seems repetitive. But I'm getting quartz counters installed with an undermount cast iron sink, and I need help evaluating seam placement. Placing the seam at the sink makes good use of the size of the Caesarstone slab, but there is another option that would leave the seam in an area of the counter that one sees from the entire room. The posts I've read suggest that placing the seam at the sink is pretty common with granite. Is there any reason not to do it with quartz?

This is 3 cm material, so there's no plywood underlayment. None of the potential installers have said anything about reinforcing in the sink area. Though the sink does come with a sturdy mounting system that rests on top of the cabinets, should I be worried about the seam weakening the area that holds the sink?

Reading the current thread about the seam over dishwasher, it sounds like the seams in quartz can be very small, and my material is a small-grained black. So should I just play it safe and assume the seam will be fairly inconspicuous even if it's put in a place that's pretty much out in the open?

Thanks!

Comments (3)