SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circuspeanutgw

Copper countertops a resale success! (retroactive reveal)

Circus Peanut
11 years ago

Well, we put our beloved bungalow up for sale last week. (A tip for the wise: NEVER allow 2 weeks to finish painting the exterior of your house yourself.) Those of you who walked me through the remodel of my kitchen 4 years ago know how much I adore it, and it's a wrench to let it go. So, despite my dislike of "reveals", here it is as a last hurrah.

I feared that my DIY copper countertops & vintage stove/fridge would turn people off, but to the contrary, folks LOVED them. We got 6 offers in the first 2 days on the market and were under contract for well over the asking price in 3. I suppose another point of this post is to point out that DIY need not be a buyer turn-off, nor is the dearth of granite and stainless steel -- hopefully a reassuring data tidbit for those considering something new and different but gnawing fingernails over the standard cautious "neutral for resale" advice.

Those who know my kitchen will immediately see that we replaced our O'Keefe & Merritt with a Chambers range for the sale. Great story: I bought the Chambers locally from Craigslist, and as things turned out, the seller was a Kitchen Forum member as well. Small world, even up here in the wilds of the Northeast! We had a laugh over the awkwardness of meeting someone in person only known formerly via an unusual online handle.

And as luck would have it, the house we purchased had a wonderful vintage GE fridge, so we were able to swap that out and keep our Liebherr, too.

Our realtor took great kitchen photos for the listings. For those who've only seen bits and pieces in my posts, here's the kitchen in its entirety:

Floors: vintage douglas fir, refinished with waterlox and waterbased poly

Cabinets: solid cherry inset with inlays, Heritage Custom Cabinetry, recycled from Habitat for Humanity and re-customized to fit the space

Countertops: DIY roofing copper and copper bar

Sink: Whitehaus 501 27" fireclay

All hardware: vintage from eBay

Faucets, main sink: Moen Aberdeen and Moen AquaPur filter in Polished Copper

Facuet, prep sink: Kohler Essex in Vibrant Brazen Bronze

Lighting: fixtures from Schoolhouse Electric with vintage glass shades

Backsplash: New England Art Tile in color Harvest

Stove: Chambers 90-C (formerly O'Keefe & Merritt 600)

Hood: Sirius 901 insert, tile & design all DIY

Fridge: 1950's General Electric (formerly Liebherr 30")

Paint color: BM Cambridge Heights in matte Aura

Again, thank you all, collectively, for the wonderful insights and advice. I look forward to depending heavily upon you as I embark on this next kitchen remodel in our new old house!

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert