SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Window treatments or awning?

SusieQusie60
12 years ago

Still looking to GW for advice and ideas....

The back of my house faces west. Now that the back wall has no cabinets and new windows, I've discovered just how glaring that evening sun can be. We're conflicted (as usual) about how we want to handle it.

One thought is to put some type of window treatment on all of the kitchen windows. I'm thinking roman shades; I want something sort of non-obvious. I'd like the window treatments to almost blend in. (OK - I'll admit it...just not a big fan of window treatments in general.) That being said, I do think there are some advantages to being able to pull down the shades if we want to really have full privacy in the kitchen. And of course, shades would definitely keep that sun from blinding us in the evening.

The second option is to put awnings outside over just the back windows.

Here are the windows in the kitchen:

This one shows what the sun can do - that's the sink window and that's the sun from the other back-wall window over the peninsula -

This double window is on the side of the house. The window to the left of the picture is the peninsula window that really needs something -

This is the bar area in the front of the house. I know it looks like alot of glare, but IRL there is no real issue here -

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks - SQ

Comments (13)