SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
absob

Trash. Where is best place for garbage? And how many?

absob
10 years ago

Husband and I are renovating a house. We will be putting in a new kitchen and able to plan all the details. Have and old kitchen now that does not function correctly as far as location of garbage areas to sink or range areas. Trying to determine best most effective location(s) for trash. Trying to determine best most useful tools or cabinetry to make garbage and cleanup easy and effective.

Where do you have your garbage cans? How many cans do you use? Are they undercounter pullouts? Do you have a trash compactor? If, so what goes in it? Do you recycle? If so, how do you optimize disposal?

I am thinking I would like a pullout garbage on the island to the right of where i would likely stand for food prep. My cooktop would be on the perimeter counter behind me. As well, thinking to put in double ( or quadruple, I saw this in houzz) pullouts to the right of the sink cleanup area, which is also on the perimeter to the left of the cooktop.

Currently, my garbage is a walk across from all cleanup and cooktop and food prep. I can not stand dripping food, water, peeling scraps all across the kitchen. I dream of having a can right next to food prep where I can dump my peels and drop my drippy meat packagings.

I was all set on having a trash compactor too. As we have so much garbage, the idea of compressing it by 80% seems fantastic! I worry about odor and heavy bags. Where we will be moving is on a septic (never had one before) so I am told people rarely use their garbage disposals (which I currently rely on heavily for food waste). So I am concerned about where to out food waste and wonder if a compactor is a good idea with more rotting food than I would like to have around.

I was thinking at first, a trash compactor would solve all my issues, crushing everything down to very small. But worry about how heavy the bags are and the distance from kitchen to garage garbage bins is pretty far. I would put this to the right of sink cleanup area, and left of cooktop. Then when do dishes or cooking could throw food packaging and scrape food into very easily. But I worry about odor. Also with compactor feel,like I would not be inclined to recycle very much.

Another thought maybe having two pullout bins in this location might work. One for food waste, one for recycle. The one on the island would be used for food prep waste and miscellaneous. I think though I would probably fill up and need to take out once a day the food waste on on the perimeter and the island once per day, but think I would fill up the recycling one two times a day with oj bottles, milk cartons, boxes, etc. this is where I thought the 4-can pullout might be helpful, as I could use on for waste, one for bottles, one for paper, one for packaging. But I don't think I really need to sort since our recycle pickup can be all mixed together anyway...

We seem to have a lot of packaging in our house (Costco) that I am always quickly filling up our current one garbage can system. I easily fill two bags a day, more likely three if I threw out every bit of packaging and box and bottles that I needed to each day. This is also where I feel a trash compactor would help immensely, but then once compressed...it can't be recycled, is this right?

Your help is appreciated. I have been going over my garbage routines for the past few months now and just can't seem to decide what will be most effective. I hate taking out the trash and our current system is an awful mess. i want to make our new kitchen easy to use and easy to remove. i would rather just have to take out the trash only once per day (or every day sounds even better!) No one seems to like talk trash around here :)

Comments (9)