SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Cold feet about my lights

sparklekitty
13 years ago

I am nearing the end, close to the finish line. Just lights (put in temp lights for inspection for occupancy) & black splash and I am frozen. The light fixture for over the sink sits on my dining room table - I am so scared my kids are going to break it but obviously that is less scary than actually committing to it.

It is a very nice light - prism holophone - but I am not sure I am in love. But do I really need to be in love with everything in my kitchen? I am actually burnt out on looking for the "right" thing. I love the quirky kitchen, where everything looks so carefully & lovingly hunted out at some estate sale or granny's attic. My husband suggested we just keep the temp lights for now and wait until we find the right light - I shuttered at the thought. To have those lights "hanging over" my head literally and figuratively. Though I have enjoyed the renovation process, I think I may have hit my mental limit for decisions, so maybe you can help.

Is the semi-industrial look just the expected/au currant choice? My kitchen waffles between something starting from farmhouse/period (shaker, natural birch and painted, table style island, PN & ORB hardware) - leaning contemporary (pro style stove, stainless, chrome arch faucet, undermount sink). I think kitchens that touch different styles can be amazing, but it has to be done well *ack*. But the lights can the backsplash can send it in so many directions...

I love lighting, maybe more than I love tile (and wood and stone...) I wanted something beautiful and just ran out of steam. I don't think I have the energy to keep looking. Unfortunately this light is not cheap, and it informed the style of the pendants over the table (prism shades)

Large 12" prism light for over sink

Small pendants over the island (2 of them.) These things are only about 4" wide, but nice light. I think they are contemporary with a little traditional style with the shade and fixture style.

I thought the ORB for the large light would provide some interesting contrast against the window and define a basically glass light, I picked SN for the small island pendants so they would not stand out and just blend/accent. Should I stick to it? Should I get a great gittery PN for the one over the sink (my own little disco ball :) and maybe do something a little more traditional over the island to embrace the pseudo farm look? Are there other fixtures you think would be fabulous (note: I do not want large lights over the island)?

I should not be allowed on GW past 10 pm...

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of light and kitchen

Comments (12)