SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

What to use at joint between countertop and backsplash?

theresse
10 years ago

Hi there -

I'm sick of paying people to do everything though I'm not a DIY'er either. But on youtube there are decent videos showing how to remove old gross caulk or grout so I'm going to try it myself. I wish there were a video on removing and replacing re. an undermounted farm sink, but that's another story!

My backsplash is honed calacatta marble and my countertop is stainless. What should I use? Caulk, sealant (is that different?), grout? It looks like maybe the guy who installed the tile backsplash might have used grout because it's not smooth and doesn't appear flexible, but I'm not sure. It appears to be a sort of tan or sand color, too (which I'm not sure I'll ever be able to match). And the installer was Mr. Inappropriate so I'm not going to call and ask him, not that he'd remember.

When googling options I see "silicone rubber sealant" and "kitchen and bath adhesive caulk." I also see "latex caulk" and "latex caulk with silicone." I see almond and clear and white, oh my. Oh and I also see "sanded caulking. Geez, what to do?

Suggestions?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor