SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Opinions Solicited: Fabrics to update Dining Room

User
10 years ago

So, I have needed to update my DR for a few years now. We've had so much else going on that this was just a blip on the radar until New Decorator produced these when she was here last week to discuss the brick floor in the basement renovation. She had not been at ADAC shopping for me exclusively, but was looking for another job at Brunschwig et fils and pulled some stuff she thought might do for my DR. So these are from a single rep at the decorative arts center. I am making that point because although I like these (only these out of the 12 brought), they just scratch the surface of what's available--- and very expensively. Other points to consider: the silk curtains in a large plaid are staying, and I am open to toning down the walls of the DR by a few shades to a lighter red.

First up is a fab silk embroidered chinoiserie. It is perfect, yummy feeling and I love it, but it is about $350 per yard. With the designer's discount it would still be around around $240 per yard.

Second is a Kravet fabric that I also love. It is as close as you can get to plaid without being plaid. The background color looks especially wonderful with the pale limestone floor, and I think it plays nicely off the first fabric.

The third is a green tiny stripe with a woven raspberry fleck. I only like this one as a foil for the chinoiserie, as piping probably. I do not like the fabric by itself, it is too dark.

The question is, to use these fabrics or not, and where in the room? After a lot of looking and playing with the calculator I think the biggest bang for the Brunschwig red fabric is on the host and hostess chairs (piped in the green) and as a sideways runner across the table (backed in the green with a fabulous fringe, which would be used when the cloth is not on or when we are using service plates instead of placemats.)

Looks good on the table top and with silver:

The Kravet off white fabric would go on the seats of the other chairs and on the two upholstered shield backs on either side of the breakfront. But--- need contrasting fabric for back of those chairs that can also serve as piping -- maybe a solid in the lighter green? (Do NOT like the other green paired with raspberry fleck with this off white fabric.)

I first liked the idea of doing the fully upholstered chairs in the Bronschwig fabric, but up against the red walls--- even toned down--- they sort of disappear. They look good with the off white fabric, but might look equally good in the Brunschwig if the walls were a different color.

Existing curtains:

Best shot of true color of curtains (previous Christmas table):

Other side of room:

China cabinet at far end of room. The sideways blue runner (from a former DR) is the same size and shape the new one will be:

Note Chinese half lamp sconces, please consider how eitherfabric will look under these lamps:

So... Paint walls green or gold? Use these fabrics and look for one more? Ditch these all and start again? Call previous designer who came up with perfect array of paint colors and fabrics? He would be doing it by photo as he is in NY and I am here (although he has seen house and DR many times and harangued me to change old plaid stuff not chosen by him when we moved here 8 years ago). I am not used to having incomplete choices from a designer. Never had to ask previous one to go back and find other things. But, this one wasn't really looking for me for DR, just grabbing things on the fly from one rep. I do like these but not sure why she would suggest the super expensive fabric because heretofore, $90 per yard has been my virtual ceiling. And of course, now that I have seen it I want it but might be equally happy with something for half that if I knew it existed! :-(

Comments (34)