SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

It has been all about compromises this week...

babushka_cat
12 years ago

hello community who is saving my sanity! figured i owed you an update given i am on month 4 of construction now.... the wind is a bit out of my sail, hope checking in might help.

this week it has been all about making compromises. the major one was how to deal with a very crooked ceiling (old house, the little lady sags!) and the impact to crown moulding. we knew the ceiling would be off but it was worse than the pre-demo measurements (thought it was 3/4" off but it is 1 1/4" off over a 6 foot span). as a result in addition to some creative crown moulding techniques we had to "hover" the cabs below the ceiling a few inches as opposed to touching the ceiling to take advantage of the fuzzy shadow line to help mask the problem. this was not the look i was going for and this is a compromise i am making very grudgingly. we investigated leveling the ceiling during construction but the whole room is off and leveling the ceiling would have thrown off a very visible sight line along the major wall and that was not desirable either. the ceiling is so off, no amount of fudging could cover it up and after mocking up many options this was the option that minimized the problem most effectively. i am bummed out as this is not the look i prefer (hate the hovering cabinet look) but did not really have much of a choice.... this is the first time i have had to live with a design choice i am really not very thrilled with. dissapointing but overall the kitchen is looking pretty good and by the time the countertops, appliances etc will go in i am sure it will be lovely.

compounding it, the benjamin moore white dove that i have planned for months and that is used throughout the trim in my house for some reason looks like a dingy mess in this room. have no idea why, but it does not look good and i need to find a new white! by monday as cabinet painting begins monday! aaaaak!

i am sure it will all be ok.... i keep telling myself that.... will be glad when this is done....

Comments (5)