SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_ending_gw

Restor A Finish questions..

never_ending
14 years ago

I have seen some really fabulous makeovers from you guys using this product and now I may have an opportunity to use it but have questions, please help and tell me what you know.

First of all-

Over on woodworking they claim in a few months the beautiful finish disappears, and you have to start all over again-it is simply a glorified polish with a bit of color, have any of you found this to be true?

Okay-have any of you used several coats of this stuff to build up color, say to bring a medium oak up to mahogany, and do you think this would be possible on a good condition dining table and chair set?

For those of you who have done Restor A Finish, was the feed and wax enough to maintain a nice rich sheen or is it worth it to find a top coat (I know you can't use poly) especially on a family dinner table?

I like my set well enough, but it was a CL purchase, and looked much darker and browner at it's previous owner's house. Most of my furniture is cherry and mahogany, and this sticks out like a sore thumb! (to me only, and but enough so if I can't darken it, I will be bringing home a new one/old this weekend (has to be this weekend) from a new spot I found!)

I will fess up, I would in a heart beat get the new one, but DH will have a small seizure, since I only dragged this set home a few short months ago,and I cannot start bringing home tables like I collect them.

So I guess the question is- keep the round medium brown blucky oak pedestal table and pressback chairs and try restor a finish, or spend $100.00 (bargain) dark mahogany duncan phyfe type table that is a bit darker than I like?

If I could sneak the new table in without having to explain what on earth is possessing me to drag home random tables, I'd snatch it up without blinking and kick it to the curb if it didn't work out but I am afraid a pattern may developing!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: table that is like the one I may bring home but lighter, and could restor a finish turn oak into this color?

Comments (13)