SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

A call for nonconformity.

palimpsest
14 years ago

If you read my responses to posts, its pretty obvious I do have "rules" about doing things and will often discuss why I think the OP should do something or *not do something. So, I think decor should "conform" in some ways, I guess.

On the other hand, I think there is a lot of advice (and pressure, really) to conform to some pretty narrow parameters of design, related to what is currently popular. I think there is a tendency to post a picture of ones own, or one's favorite room, and say "Here, make it look just like that, and its all good."

Right now, I am thinking of the two rooms in here that have 1960s and 1970s paneling, that in their current states need some help. (I think they should try to keep the paneling, the prevailing opinion seems that the more that it can be made to look like another off white room the better. A handsome off white room, but something that could just as easily be drywall as wood.)

Other examples that come to mind are Baby Turtle and Tobacco Road. Out of thousands of colors in the deck, how many people need to use those? (OK there are thousands of colors in the deck, I wouldnt use, either)

Don't get me wrong. Painted paneling, Baby Turtle, and Tobacco Road are all good things,--but does everything really need to look alike? In my next house I want to use antique brass hardware just as a reaction to the current bias against it (beside the fact that its the most "appropriate").:)

I get into a bind with my advice IRL because I will often look at something the client really doesn't like, and thats the thing I want to keep...that thing is often what keeps their place from looking just like everyplace else.

I hope this could lead to a discussion about why we like what we like instead of me coming off like the crank.

Comments (99)

• lindac
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another mostly lurker here....who has read with a often bemused smile about the "dated" look of polished brass, is wall paper dated and people painting really lovely interesting "found" furniture to go with other painted stuff.

I had a house full of good oriental rugs, when other people were worrying about "all that pattern" on the floor....and I still have those rugs, while others have replaced their carpet several times. I love polished brass...I like chrome (good chrome!) faucets and fixtures, I don't know where this "oiled bronze" concept came from.
    I like old subway tile, even if it's got a chip or 2, I love my Mother's repro 1930's Duncan Phyfe diningroom table....and I love my great great grandfather's chest.
    And yes Granite is trendy...just look at all the people here and other places that show you there kitchens and say "we'll be changing out the counters to granites soon".
    And I might just mention that almost all new stuff is cr@&. If cannot spend a fortune, go to the resale shops, the estate sales....and of course Craigs List...
    I think I am a conformist in my decorating....but I really see that I am way out there in that I love traditional....and by that I mean Mid Century Modern as well as Craftsman, Colonial etc etc....
    New just doesn't make it...unless it's BETTER!
    Good post Palimpsest!
    Linda C

• roobear
    14 years ago

This just all seems so subjective to me. If your following "rules" your conforming to something.

Rules/Advice-Who's rules? Where do these rules/advice come from?

What's the reasoning behind the advise offered?

Is it Personal Opinion? Is it based on Personal Experience? Is it Emotional? Is it based on Past Traditions? Professional Opinion? Is it based on Technical Design Rules? Is it based on Financial, Work Effort, Time, or Quality? Is it just Popular Opinion?

• Related Discussions

Your reaction to rose colors?

Q

Comments (21)
    THe color of sunlight where we are makes a difference also. Here in the often foggy and cool northwest, the world is often gray with fog, cold or rain. Even when the sun shines there is a "Blue" quality to the air unlike the warm golden light of farther south areas. A pastel that might look washed out in Southern California or Arizona glows like it was lit from within here. I love all colors, at different times and different cloud conditions. One morning I woke to pink roses poking though enormous plants of Chilson's Pink Dahlias and in the warn sunlight it was ephermeral It was like the dawn of hope to the world. ON a dark moist day like today, South Africa's soft apricot gold glows like a lantern.Climbing Amadeus sparkles like rubies over the arbor. I have a bed of purple and blue flowers that I have not figured out yet how to set them off, but I am thinking of pastel yellow and sky blue with them. I think it is all in the combinations. The reds all got moved to a bed with whites and silvers and I am loving them together!They look so clean and crisp and draw the eye...Besides, crimson and grey are my college colors! I have a bed of white roses and other white flowers that is totally boring and needs those contrasts in Yellow and blues and a bit of pink. Its not soothing, its just glaring and boring in the bright summer light. I have to admit that the ones I love the most are combinations of rose and apricot,pinks and golden apricots like the Lady of Shallot and soft creamy Teasing Georgia, speak to me of growth and warmth, like children. And I love Graham Thomas,And Polka and Medallion and Apricot Nectar. And Summer Wine And South Africa. Then the intense purples like Night Owl and Twilight Zone (That mostly stay deep dark purple here)...passion, fragrance, mystery! What I don't like is any rose that turns brown or gray in the rain or sprinkler. But russet roses that are meant to be brown...WOW! Lady Anne Henderson and Epoque(above) are fabulous roses! I seldom meet a flower I don't like or a color I don't like if it is in the right place. Its OK for my eyes to roam around the garden exploring different combinations, if the garden is big enough. I wouldn't restrict myself to limited emotions now would I restrict my garden. THanks for making me think about this!
    ...See More

Fed Housing News Release- different data than Schiller

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't agree: "This suggests that one of main differences between OFHEO and Case-Shiller was that Case-Shiller included many non-agency homes financed with subprime loans. These homes saw more appreciation during the boom, and are now seeing larger price declines. Whatever the reasons, the Case-Shiller index seems to more accurately reflect the current price declines in the housing market, as opposed to the OFHEO index. And this has significant implications for the economy." See here: http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2008/01/house-prices-comparing-ofheo-vs-case.html OFHEO's own economists agrees: http://www.ofheo.gov/media/research/OFHEOSPCS12008.pdf
    ...See More

Remodeling without a permit?

Q

Comments (150)
    geoffrey-b "remodeling without a permit." Yes. If you scroll back to the top of this page you'll see that is the title of the thread. This entire page is a series of comments by people "investigating" that very thing. I came here looking to see what other people had said about that issue. I decided to post my story. I don't trust my city planning/building department. They have shown a clear intent to use this system as a cash cow. I can afford $300 for an attorney. More than that actually, because my real estate attorney is $280 per hour with a 4 hr minimum. I don't want to pay him, and I don't want to pay the thousands of dollars the city wants. My wife and I will use that money for a trip to Greece. Believe me, I would much rather be going through the inspection/approval system. My town has taken an adversarial approach and I choose not to pay into it. I have already proceeded. If and when we sell, I will check the Yes box where the disclosure form asks if work has been done without permits. I will show buyers the before and after pictures. If they don't like the quality of my carpentry, they won't buy it. I'll sleep well at night because I know the quality is better than the city-inspected, city-approved new home currently being framed next to a friend's house across town. I'm using 1950's solid Doug fir reclaimed from several different tear downs at the extra expense of pulling nails. They're using wained, scalloped, knotted Doug fir that wouldn't have made #2 and better grade twenty years ago, but which is now proudly sold in all home improvement centers across our nation. Not their fault of course. We've stripped our forests, there are 300+ million of us and we all want nice comfortable homes. That's the quality of material we have left. I'm as guilty as anyone of my demand resulting in the sucking of raw materials from the ground and the woods. As much as we've done to recycle by shopping on craigslist, we've also spent a lot of time and money at those home improvement centers. But that's a whole 'nother thread.
    ...See More

Reconfiguring basement stairs w/o adequate headroom

Q

Comments (19)
    You said the existing riser heights are 4", 7", 7", 7", 7", 7", 6" which totals to 45" but the total height dimension on the photo is shown as 50" which would mean the 7" risers are actually 8" or the dimension in the photo is 5" too tall. Which is it? You give the distance to the wall above but not the total run of the stairs. Judging by the photo the stair run is about 6.5" shorter than the 48.5" dimension which makes each existing tread run about 7". I suspect the 8" +/_ tread dimension you measured included the nosing which is added after the stair rise and run is designed. So the existing stair riser is about 7" or 8" and the tread run is probably about 7". Without the correct information for the stairwell no one can tell you how to fix this stair. But I can assure you that a tread depth of 10" (plus a nosing) would not fit in the stairwell and would require reframing the floor opening to be as much as 18" longer. That might be expensive if the floor framing is not parallel to the back wall and it might create an awkward transition from the upper part of the stairway unless it also has a 10" tread run and a 7 1/2" +/- riser. What you need is properly measured plan and section drawings (or rough sketches) of the stairwell with all relevant dimensions shown to the face of risers and treads ignoring carpet and tread nosings. You need that for the upper part of the stair too. Otherwise, just hire a contractor and tell him to fix it and hope for the best.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I dunno for sure.... but with regard to design (any kind of design) I'm not so sure the word "rules" really fits. Maybe what gets labeled as "rules" is more like theory. Concepts, ideas, general guidance. We were kind of talking about the same thing on the HGTV forum last week. Maybe those rules and theories are more about *what* and *why* rather than a literal *how*.

As one example or for instance, you can hang your chair rail at shoulder height if you choose -- it's your house do whatever you want to -- but in theory there's a more correct height to hang it that is far more logical and makes more sense. The theory gives you a reason not to hang it at your shoulders.

• poshspace
    14 years ago

I LOVE tile but after having granite in the last two houses we have owned I am a granite fan...love that you can put hot pans from oven to counter without batting an eye--love that it is very easy to keep clean and shiny...Stainless--I do think it is a fad-to mimic commercial kitchens-I prefer a furniture finish but that is price prohibitive sometimes...white...off-white...black..not all that exciting..
    We decorate with what we love...textiles, Eastlake, leather, seagrass...country..French and throw in a little English..it is all good..ha!!
    Susan

• natal
    14 years ago

Yup, tile's another ... gorgeous, but not real practical on a countertop and a pain to keep clean in a bathroom ... but can be so beautiful!

• metromom
    14 years ago

I don't know...sometimes I think it just depends on who happens to be reading a particular thread on a particular day and what their own personal preferences are. When I posted pics of my paneling, there was a definite consensus that I should not paint it -- and I felt like I was being nonconformist for painting it anyway.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, rules not such a good word...I think it gets used as shorthand, because "guidelines based upon history, ergonomics, experience, practicality, environment and opinion" is a mouthful :), but I think we have talked about "rules" not being such a good word before.

I think you can follow a lot of---guidelines---and come up with something unique, and on the flipside not particularly follow(or be aware of following)---guidelines---and come up with something as conventional and dull as dishwater.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

poshspace mentions seagrass....now there's a look that is so EVERYWHERE! It is so over-the-top popular it's doomed to disappear before much longer, I fear. I say 'fear' because I do love the look and would have it somewhere, but am afraid of it's fragility ( stains from water, dog's nails, etc.) How DO people live with it. Posh? Anyone?
    As for granite, it's probably too new to predict its longevity. I also agree with sydardev: We don't live in a vacuum and are, most of us, bound to be influenced by the new to some degree...and that's a good thing. The apothecary jars I mentioned in another post are quite in vogue now. I switched out china vases for tall ones with branches, It's a new "old" look and gives my home a fresher feel. I didn't invent the look. I saw it over and over in mags and decor shops, liked it and took it for my own.....for now :>)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Funcolors I agree, I should have said Technical Design Theory, as in the basic principles and elements of design.

That being said, you won't find "dated" or "trendy" listed among the basic elements or principles.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I think that many houses reflect the personality of at least somebody living there. For some, this involves conforming. Many people find comfort in what they think of as safe. Others have an itch that can only be satiated with another trip to Sherwin Williams for something out of the ordinary. Some do not want their decor to be a cliche and others are quite proud of how they have been able to replicate and become that cliche. Where one's decor style falls of course is most important to those who have to live in it.

That being said on a personal level, if I were going to start a bonfire, I know many places where I would have no problem finding fuel but I will keep my sources to myself...

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

"That being said, you won't find "dated" or "trendy" listed among the basic elements or principles."

lol! Never thought of that! Very good point, roo.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree, whether something was "trendy" or "dated" was not something that was ever discussed by instructors in design school. "Appropriate" or "inappropriate" often was. Our resource room was also full of donated samples that were discontined at the showroom down the block--so if you didn't have other resources, you designed with that.

Actually, now that I think of it, we did have one instructor who was trend/status conscious and he rejected someone's entire scheme, laughingly, as "so eighties".
    (Usually we were allowed to do whatever we wanted, and their job was to help us make it work).

Her scheme was heavy on the teal/aqua. The next month, Elle Decor and another mag had trend watches on---teal and aqua.

(I cut them out and snuck them into his mailbox, after the other student had been graded with his approved color scheme)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Where does the chair rail height "guideline" come from?

Is it coming from history, ergonomics, experience, practicality, environment and opinion as Palimpsest stated?

If so, who's history, ergonomics, experience, practicality, environment and opinion?

The answer I'm assuming is going to be in part, famous designers over the years. What makes someone famous? I'm sure popular opinion has something to do with it.

So now I'm thinking these "guidelines" come from ideas and people that were popular. How is this not conforming?

"I think you can follow a lot of---guidelines---and come up with something unique, and on the flipside not particularly follow(or be aware of following)---guidelines---and come up with something as conventional and dull as dishwater."

So if the "guidelines" are really just "timeless" popular opinions or ideas, and someone does not follow these "timeless" popular opinions and ideas, then they end up with something dull as a dishwasher?

Does this mean that the only difference between shag carpeting and hanging my chair rail at a certain height is time? One popular idea that has remained popular over the years vs one that hasn't?

• roobear
    14 years ago

I will admit when I was in design school I did have one instructor who did talk about trends. However it was not something that was ever discussed in my fundamental theory classes.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I think being a nonconformist or standing out from the crowd is a bit overrated. I mean, when I get waited on by a clerk with eyebrow, nose, and lip piercings, as well as a giant visible tatoo, I do realize that his plan is to stand out in a sea of conformity. I get that he sees himself as different and "not your average joe" but that still doesn't mean that I think his look is either attractive nor one eliciting my respect. And for me, the same goes for houses, hair, clothes, cars, etc. While a good friend of mine in her early 30's will sometimes walk into a meeting with high heels, socks, pigtails and a red beret, and still look adorable, it doesn't mean that I want to emulate that look and stand out from the crowd. She currently has a streak of white on the front of her black bob, but I keep my natural color, even though her sense of style is conservatively, ten times mine. I am good with natural color, discreetly applied makeup, black slacks and white shirt. Sometimes I mix it up with dangly earrings and a red sweater.
    Many people appreciate the calm and comfort of having their homes look similar to every other house in their subdivision. That's why so many of us have brown leather sofas and traditional lamps. We could have pink fur sofas with some crazy track lighting hanging down over the windows, but we crave conformity. Tobacco Road is not the only shade of paint that will bring you a warm and softly comforting space, but if you don't trust your own choices or want to have a living room that exudes the same degree of warmth, cohesiveness, and welcoming light as the one in the TR photo that you keep in your favorites, well, it's just a little easier to take the formula and get that one mixed up instead of looking endlessly at chips to find your own perfect LR color. Many of you are carrying big handbags right now I bet? And have you already bought a nice little knitted scarf, maybe cashmere or something just a little funkier to wrap around your neck or trail down the front of your winter jacket providing a touch of color? Well, forty years ago you might have been looking for a nice clutch, or a jewelled brooch. We all have our own level of comfort with conformity. Some of us want something unique that grabs the attention and brings the complimentary comments, and some are happier with a room (or outfit!) that looks nice, feels great, and helps us fit in.
    There's not a thing wrong with that. My friend sometimes dyes all of her hair the same color and shows up in a suit and pumps. And believe me.......that's when she gets the Most attention!

Red

• segbrown
    14 years ago

"In my next house I want to use antique brass hardware just as a reaction to the current bias against it (beside the fact that its the most "appropriate").:) "

I just finished a main floor remodel where I surprised myself by selecting almost all antique bronze hardware and lighting. There is also some ORB thrown in, mostly on the doors (I just like the way it looks on the white), but some cabinet hardware and lighting.

When we moved in here 10 years ago, the first thing I did was remove the AB cabinet hardware and replace with satin nickel. I'm so tired of satin nickel now, though; polished nickel didn't seem quite right for us, and I thought I'd do ORB, but the brass just seemed to fit better. I really like it, partly because it's "different" now. ha, to think of it as different.

We did paint most of the walls greige, though, which I guess is trendy -- but I like it a lot. I've lived with nothing BUT saturated color for a while, and it's a nice change. Upstairs we still have red, blue, and yellow rooms in the house, and the new dining room is a deep deep blue.

To the point of conformity, I agree that many if not most people just don't "see" things without really truly visually "seeing" them, first. I've been in charge of remodeling/decorating a family-owned mountain condo, and it's been tough to do with four different couples as owners. I have a vision, but I see a lot of resistance -- until I've finished railroading my ideas through, and then they love it. My cousin realizes this, though, and admits that she just can't picture it until it's done. She usually wants to copy what someone in another unit has done (the last thing I want to do, of course).

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chair rail, wainscot and such predate "designers" --who've only been around for a century or so as we think of the profession now.

Furniture was moved around a lot until towards the end of the nineteenth century, and placed against the wall. The height of chair rail corresponded with the typical height of the back of chairs so that the plaster or wall finish didn't get so chipped and dirty.

Then people noticed that if proportionally it stayed in that area on the wall it looked better to most people whereas if it cut the wall in half...it might not look so good.

"Who" for some things becomes a matter of consensus.
    So if one wanted to hang chair rail 15 inches from the floor, you could do it, but it wouldn't correspond to its original function, and That is why it wouldn't look like chair rail, as people perceive it. Its also why it looks "better" in a dining room (or hall that gets traffic but no chairs) than it does in a room without this type of furniture --say a bedroom that has a headboard that goes beyond the height of the chair rail and one upholstered chair--its divorced of its "function". Now, that function could be purely decorative, but I think innately we want something to have a reason, deep down, at least a little bit.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

LOL, I typed antique bronze, but I meant antique brass. That's how dated it is?? ;-)

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I am alternately educated, angered, frustrated, enlightened, disappointed, horrified, and inspired by this thread, but I am always entertained, I guess, or I would not keep returning to lurk here.

The word "conforming" has such a negative connotation, but it's funny, people who don't 'conform' are variously seen as either bold and creative, or as odd and a little 'too' unusual. I believe that this world offers so many more opportunities to express individualism, that the two polarities of 'conforming' or 'non-conforming' are much too limiting.

For example, in kitchen design, the styles and choices are almost endless, and, even if you are following a specific style (i.e., mid-century modern, Victorian, Tuscan, the very ubiquitous "white kitchen with soapstone and marble"), there are still many areas where people can express some individuality: color choices, backsplash design, window treatments). I think that some people follow those styles so very closely, and then do not inject ANY elements of surprise, or anything that can be pointed to as their own individual style. Their kitchens can be absolutely and unquestionably BEAUTIFUL and STUNNING, but they are undoubtedly 'conforming,' (and possibly, a bit generic to the style).

As for granite, I looked through some of my Traditional Home magazines from 10 years ago (I finally threw out the ones from the 90's). Kitchens that are featured show granite, stainless, butcher block, tile, quartz, marble, and soapstone counters. My MIL put in granite counters in her kitchen and bathrooms about 20 years ago. My point: I don't think granite is 'trendy' or 'dated;' it is another, viable, option from which to choose. Do many choose it? Absolutely! Do many choose hardwood floors? Absolutely, but I wouldn't call them trendy or dated, either. AND, I wouldn't say that either choice (granite countertops or hardwood floors) would be any indication of either being a conformist or a non-conformist. They are the materials that do their job well, last a long time, and look good doing it, which is not a bad way to evaluate good design, in my opinion.

• roobear
    14 years ago

Palimpsest, oh yes I always have to have a reason to justify anything I do. LOL. I meant to tell you earlier, I really have enjoyed this thread, thanks for starting it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I think this is brilliantly stated from Palimpsest:

"So if one wanted to hang chair rail 15 inches from the floor, you could do it, but it wouldn't correspond to its original function, and That is why it wouldn't look like chair rail, as people perceive it. It's also why it looks "better" in a dining room (or hall that gets traffic but no chairs) than it does in a room without this type of furniture --say a bedroom that has a headboard that goes beyond the height of the chair rail and one upholstered chair--its divorced of its "function". Now, that function could be purely decorative, but I think innately we want something to have a reason, deep down, at least a little bit."

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Which is why I'm not into accent walls unless there is some reason for them, e.g. architectural, functional, etc., btw.

• rucnmom
    14 years ago

My nod to noncomformity is wallpaper. (I figure if it's good enough for Charlotte Moss - it's good enough for me).

I just got a quote to hang my paper (kitchen and a half bath) - $1300. That would buy a lot of paint. But I don't want paint.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Funcolors. I think it is important to try to get to the root of "why or why not" and this is sort of what the thread is about. I once had a client who became attached to a particular kitchen cabinet, and afterward there was a lot of evidence while picking other elements, that she didn't like a number of things about the color, doorstyle, etc.

She liked the *name* of the color of the finish, not the finish itself, nor the doorstyle it was available on. Luckily, I wormed this out of her and got her to pick something she liked, regardless of the name. When I had first asked her what she was thinking about she said "cherry cabinets, a black granite countertops and ceramic floors" --also nothing she seemed to have a particular affinity toward, but it was what her friends told her she should get. We ended up with a little of that, but mostly something *she wanted...really.

I think "rules" "conformity" and "nonconformity" are all problematic words and I apologize for using them, but they were close to what I mean.

This thought started with the painted paneling, but in my mind I jumped to kitchens, and I wonder why we rarely see a kitchen with blue or green cabinets, most of the colors of Zodiaq, or lots of other things. At first, I thought it was because they are not available from most manufacturers, but it seems a lot of people use custom, so anything should go, really. So why is the $100K kitchen the same white as the $20K kitchen. (And I *really *like *a *white *kitchen)

I also just completed a wall of custom paneling and painted it...white. It could have been stained--- it could have been anything the doors and paneling were both full custom. So why why isnt it something other than white? I dunno.

I don't particularly hate *any* material, nor do I think any material in and of itself is *dated...its a combination of things that make it fresh or stale. I like wallpaper, wall to wall carpet, white/ black or stainless appliances, Corian (a major sin, depending upon region), granite, and Formica.
    I did a minor update on a kitchen once, and was actually kind of sad that the harvest gold appliances were failing and had to go--we went with black, but black, white or stainless, none of them looked as good *with that kitchen, *in that house, than the harvest gold did.

So I am not suggesting that we dismiss the next white kitchen and embrace one that is lavender and has mirrored backsplashes (seen it), but that we *each think about what *we respond to internally and go with it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Is this synchronicity?

My color friend Jane Hall has a new blog and guess what she's talking about? Conformity in design. Yet another point of view I love on the topic:

"What we have lost and need to recover, is that which should be most cherished; our own vision, our ability to stand up and live our lives out loud in lilac, watermelon, pumpkin, buttercup, lipstick or whatever colours reflect our passions, our dreams."
    ---J. Hall

Here is a link that might be useful: Jane Hall Blog

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

FC, I checked out your friends blog. Not a big blog follower myself, but will be going back to watch hers unfold.
    I liked her as soon as I read her quote in your post. ;)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

When I was a kid, I was surrounded by preppy, private schoolgirls. We all wore uniforms, but the marks of class distinction were still there. Those for whom tuition was a drop in the bucket made it known through accessories, shoes, coats. Those of us on the Tuition Plan or financial aid, we had to be more creative, perhaps even non-conformists.

I didn't have the money to buy all those fair isle sweaters and LL Bean boots and after Middle School, I didn't have much interest either. So, my friends and I haunted the thrift shops and braved the wilds of downtown Baltimore to raid Veteran's Warehouse, the mother of all second hand stores.

Before my senior year, I realized one day that several of us had these shabby soft suede jackets. I actually had one that went to mid-calf, my "pimp coat" as my father called it! We all wore embroidered jeans and bandannas and dangly earrings. By age 16, with great sadness, I realized that by being a "non-conformist" I was simply conforming to a different standard.

Yes, I wore a crazy red hat and giant amber sunglasses. There was that long coat. But really, it was just another way to feel comfortable...the kind of comfortable Red is talking about. I was labeling myself as a certain kind of person and thereby carved out my niche in prep school. The "normal" girls feared us a bit and we were "safe" from them in our little non-conformist pack.

So, now, when we decorate, chances are we are still picking sides and finding our group. We go for the Mariette Himes Gomez look, or maybe Diamond & Baratta (though I rarely see that going on here). Between those polar opposites there are a few who stand out as distinctive (Miles Redd or Muriel Brandolini, maybe?) but I see the middle ground as a blur of overlapping patterns and we all trend toward something on that blurry continuum.

The blog that funcolors linked was bright and colorful, but I don't see that using all those colors is necessarily a sign of non-conformity -- not that anyone is necessarily suggesting that. It's just another place on the spectrum (if you'll pardon the pun) a place where the likes of Susan Sargant and Maine Cottage live, too! I love all that color, but it is most certainly a look.

I can't help but think that we are a largely self-selected group of conformists here at this board. The true non-conformists probably would never bother passing their days in our company. I like to think of myself as a non-conformist (nothing ever changes!) but I am drawn to this place, to the ideas and input I get to play with. Nothing wrong with that. I value the opinions of my peers here, and take their advice, and in that sense I am conforming to something.

I also think that validation is a basic human need and we must "find our group" to get the validation we need. I am not saying we're all here because we are needy! Please don't get me wrong. This place is really fun. It works for absolute beginners and professionals alike. To me it's a "take what you like and leave the rest" situation. There will always be a majority opinion and sometimes it starts to feel like it's all about Tobacco Road and Baby Turtle. But, seeing what you don't like is just as instructive as seeing what you do like, on the road to self-expression.

• sedeno77
    14 years ago

I should have kept the cow rug! Now I see it in the Ballard catalog...but I was swayed to not keep it -

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I love all that color, but it is most certainly a look. I get you amy. I'm not into the vibrants, but do the the serenes and classic palettes and would like to see more of where she goes with those as her blog unfolds. Definitely what drew me was her words, and that we could all put our own ending on them:

What we have lost and need to recover, is that which should be most cherished; our own vision, our ability to stand up and live our lives out loud in___________.

BTW, I had that same coat. It was new, my first purchase with my first after school job, weighed a ton, loved it tho. Did the bandanas in the side jeans seams, the dangling earrings with single star, the macrame belt. (Passed on the hat n sunglasses ;) I also went to a school in an affluent area (public, tho). Some of my peers had generous seasonal wardrobes, all ensembles changed with each fall and spring school term, the prior term's ensembles never to be seen again, not even on a younger sibling. Many were handed keys to new Cadillacs or Trans Ams just for turning 16. In my house it was different. My father's dirt poor rural upbringing after the Depression kept him grounded and humble. He worked hard for his promotions into and up through the corporate ladder. He took night classes from before I was born, graduating with his MBA from a Big Ten school when my younger brother graduated H.S. Displays of opulence were not encouraged. Humility and achievement through self-improvement and hard work were. Tho I had friends that had a lot handed to them, my closest friends had parents who shared similar viewpoints afa material possessions and their kids.

Never gave it much thought till now. Even tho in my artsy/hippie crowd we were dressing to be noncomformist within relation to the bigger picture, we were still dressing within our own dress code. So yes, to that extent, we as a smaller group were conforming in our own way to guidelines that conveyed a collective statement. I guess we like to think we follow our own path, but still something inside us needs to know we're on course. I can think of one guy, a friend from my 20's, who was about as individual and genuinely noncomformist as they come. What set him apart was not a high self confidence level, but rather a very deep sense of being completely comfortable and at peace with himself. He was truly a rare and inspiring person to be around.

• User
    14 years ago

Just do what makes you happy...whether that is making your room look like everyone else's, having a room that is unique and stands out from the rest or something in between. There is no right or wrong, you must please yourself.

• parma42
    14 years ago

"This forum is for the discussion of issues related to home decorating and interior design, like how to tastefully incorporate the wonderful antique commode you inherited from Aunt Martha into your thrift-store decor--without it looking totally declass"

This quote is on the top of the Home Decorating Forum and while the word "declassé" might be a bit strong, the rest is pretty accurate, IMO.

I'll start with Baby Turtle. It's interesting to know that this paint is nowhere near the top in the rankings of popular Ben Moore colors. I've never seen it in print (though it could be floating out there, somewhere).

Many here have tried it and not followed through, for one reason or another. Perhaps, it's because they've seen it in conjunction with ttodd's great accessorizing or Red's beautiful vintage furniture, and that's what really appealed to them. Me, I love dirty greens and may find a place for it, in the future.

As for why it's suggested, most don't have color cards from all of the paint manufacturers but they do remember what they've seen, and liked, here.

Amy said "I also think that validation is a basic human need and we must "find our group" to get the validation we need." This is so true. For me, it helps when I have people here who know what I'm trying to do when I pair some bold ikat WTs with more traditional items. That I'm not nuts to put my strange looking big mirror over my server, and, that my rugs don't need to match.

In the beginning, DH had the mindset that people would think we either couldn't afford, or didn't know how, to decorate in the proper way. Now, he can't wait to see a new addition.

Conformity is such a BIG word, with many connotations, both good and bad. I almost wish the original post had been broken into two or three separate questions. Trends are a subset of their own. No, not everyone has to have crisp white, mirrored pieces, Belgian furniture, or anything else that is currently being shown. Does it make those things bad, certainly not. In my own decorating, I'd rather pick one thing that catches my eye, and add it to the rest, rather than do an entire room in one style, but that's me. It's only decorating.

Preservation of a beautiful old home with great bones is a different matter. Gutting those types of places, to conform with a picture in a magazine, would bring tears to my eyes.

One of my favorite spaces, on GW, has a mix of some traditional furniture (Ethan Allen) paired with red Billy bookcases, fun rugs, beautiful art, lovely wall colors, interesting accessories, contemporary kitchen and even, I believe, soffits (which would get someone thrown off of the Kitchen forums, :) ). These room are truly unique, nonconforming, in one sense, while conforming to the architecture of the home, in another.

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

It has been an interesting read.

I know that this board has changed over the years. When initially I shared my projects, I got many more replies and input than I have gotten recently. I know my style has not changed, so it must be the board and the members themselves. It is OK, everything changes.
    To those who advocate "do what you like and the hell with it", we live in a real world where we might need to sell our houses, so in that regard, you do need to at least know where the conformity lies and how much is advisable to divert from it.

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Another mostly lurker here ... I AM a lover of vibrant, in-your-face color. Teal green family room, cobalt blue kitchen with white cabinets and white solid surface formica with colored speckles in it, turquoise bathroom, lavender bedroom, royal purple barn and royal purple accents on the house.

Mixed with family antiques and other things I like to have around me, my house is my home. My pets and I live in my home. It is not decorated to be viewed by visitors, it is decorated for me and my pets to enjoy. If visitors like it great, if they don't, who cares.

It also helps that I am in my forever home ... by the time I have to sell my home, or my estate has to sell my home, who knows or cares what the styles will be then.

Great discussion ...

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

pamghatten, I wanna come live with you!!! Hehehe When/if they do start the thread where every one posts their houses I do hope you post views of yours. I so want to see it.

And is there going to be a thread where we do post our houses. I would be curious what my style really is. I seem to fall somewhere between the lavender with mirrors kitchen and thrift store junque. Rarely buy anything new although I did get rid of the family couch of over 65 years for a new love seat because it fit our space better.

This really has been an interesting thread.

Chris

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I haven't read every post here, but after gong to a Holiday Home tour this weekend where 4 of the 6 homes were carbon copies of each other I totally agree!

I was so relieved when the 5th home I saw on the tour gave us a rest from travertine, hand scraped wood floors and "Tuscan" decor! They were all "professionally" decorated for the holidays in the same color palette The 5th home was a 1950's built home with original tile in both bathrooms. Blue with burgundy trim in one and light green with dark green trim in the other. The home was decorated for the holidays, but not overly done. It was the only home that I got any holiday decorating ideas from - they had simply draped table runners over the doors and placed wreaths over that - a very easy and inexpensive idea.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

they had simply draped table runners over the doors and placed wreaths over that - a very easy and inexpensive idea.
    oh my gosh, what a cool idea! Thanks for sharing that terriks!
    Back to regularly scheduled programming. ;)

• mjsee
    14 years ago

As someone who kept the original 1960's tile...and is intending to replicate it when we CAN re-do...I gotta be me!

From fall photos and pink bathroom

Only the paint and the pulls are new. Please ignore the sponge painter drying on the faucet handle!

Master bath...same is true here, though finding a paint to go with the greens in the tile was a CHALLENGE:

From fall photos and pink bathroom

I WOULD like to replace the waterhog toilets. And I'm going to need new sinks. They are starting to rust at the drains. :^( I've had the water taps re-packed...but I don't know long I'll be able to nurse them along. I hate to get rid of them...vintage kohler. VERY atomic!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those faucets are Kohler Triton and they still make a version of them. (My parents have had them for forty years, but their water is soft so they still don't drip)

I just got the current Triton for my bath reno, because I didn't want the new bath to look too easily identifiable era wise (its a 1965 conversion of an 1840 house...almost anything would be right or wrong at this point)

Just look with the commercial faucets or by the Triton name on the website if you want to replace.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading every post. I have a lot of things in my home that are considered by some to be outdated or not fashionable, but they suit me, my life style and they please me. I'll always have ceiling fans, I live in the hot humid south, and I do like brass... There are so many good ideas to be gleaned from the suggestions thrown out here, I think you just have to be comfortable enough with your own likes and dislikes to incorporate what works for you and your home. I think it's kind of like clothes, I am a bluejeans, boots and comfortable clothes kind of person . I admire and love to see someone in high heels and dressed to the nines in a New York chic kind of way but it's just not me so I choose what makes me comfortable :-)

• mjsee
    14 years ago

Those faucets are Kohler Triton and they still make a version of them. (My parents have had them for forty years, but their water is soft so they still don't drip)

You made my night. Thank you! They are in every bathroom in the house...and I really like them. Particularly in the tub...I can turn them off and on with my toes.

*does happy dance*

• User
    14 years ago

Pamghatten sounds like a decorator after my own heart!
    :-)

I don't try to conform or be non-conformist. I simply do what I like, both in terms of my home and my personal appearance. I'm not seeking anyone else's "respect" when I do what I do ... I'm after my own comfort and self-satisfaction. At the end of the day, for any of us, I believe that's all that truly matters. If we don't feel free to express our innermost being, then why even bother going through the motions?

• parma42
    14 years ago

This is a bit OT, but will somebody tell me what the big deal is about Burberry?

I was just looking at the Neiman Marcus midday dash, and all of the Burberry is sold out. Happens every time.

Who the heck wants to wear the exact plaid as everone else?

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

What auntjen said +1

Also: I really try to use the phrase "If it were me..." prior to giving an opinion on this board, so that everyone knows this isn't what the OP necessarily should do.

RE: Ceiling Fans - I have a 2500+ SF home (in TX) that sports 9, count'em, nine ceiling fans, LOL! Just replaced the kitchen brass & glass with a double globed stained glass one I found on CL for $25 - what a deal! Now I just need an indoor/outdoor for the patio. Could never give up the fans for chandies.

RE: Kinkade - what bumblebeez said +1.

Great topic, pal.

• trk65
    14 years ago

I think the big deal about Burberry is the fact that it is instantly identifiable as something expensive and some people want to project that.
    I have found a lot of good ideas in this forum but I always try to incorporate them into our home with respect for everything that is already there.
    Our home is only two years old and part of a 190 home subdivision. It's hard to avoid cookie cutter decorating in that type of environment but we do our best.

• courtney134
    14 years ago

There's a bias against antique brass hardware?? Then don't come to my house!!! ;) Obviously, I pay no attention to this stuff.

I also do NOT like granite or *gasp* stainless steel appliances. Quick, somebody bust out the straight jacket and toss me in the looney bin.

Oh, and my Christmas tree has 1000 COLORFUL lights on it. :)

• naturesjuice_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Wow, really interesting reading all the posts. Re: ceiling fans, I haven't found them to be as functional in some rooms...I bought a house that had so many fans it looked like a fan factory - two in the living room, one in the den, two in the kitchen, fans in each bedroom, and one in a bathroom. Of all those, I've only used the one in a bedroom at night when it was hot. The rest of them I've turned on maybe ONCE. So, definitely fan overkill and I'm planning on removing the two in the kitchen. One is so near the stove it blows out the pilot light near the stove if I have it on high. Frankly, when it's hot enough to need them I turn on the AC. When it's cool enough, I don't need the breeze except in the one bedroom it's nice. So, fans are definitely something to think over carefully. They have their place but they should be truly functional and also I do prefer the sleeker looks, In the right setting, anything can work, but it has to be done right. As for non-conformity, I agree, we've become a nation of followers. I'd luv to paint one room in a pale lavendar/lilac with sheer white drapes, but a younger relative of mine shrieked and said, "omg, lilac? that's so oldddddddddd!" C'mon, violet and lilac can be exquistely elegant. I mean, what's "old"??? So, we all come up against these people who have a very narrow vision of design. I've also had a yen sometimes to be very Jayne Mansfield and do a room all in pink shag, very plush pink. I have a 60's era pink swag lamp that's awesome, and again I think if you want to do it, go for it. Sure, when you sell, you'll have to go "neutral", but it's YOUR house, so unless you're gonna sell in two years, decorate to fit your heart and vision. I have nothing against neutrals or contemporary....I also prefer carpeting to hardwood. I think hardwood is nice to look at, but horrible to walk on and slippery. Also, for older folks, hardwood can really be a tripping hazard, with area rugs that can be a problem, and if you fall and land on hardwood, OUCH, but carpeting has a warmer feel, and I've always preferred a nice plush carpeted room (especially bedroom - HATE hardwood in bedrooms). I had to almost beat my realtor over the head and told him repeatdly NOT to show me homes with hardwood, but he never got a clue and I fired him. So, I've had my share of dealing with the fashion police or whatever. I also freaked out my relatives by painting a very drab stone fireplace all white. They seemed addicted to the stone, even though it was worn and didn't do anything for the room at all. Once painted, they looked at it and went , "wow", although rather sheepishly. They couldn't believe how bright the room became and you could actually SEE the fireplace as a centerpiece instead of a bleh nothing that blended into the rest of the wall. So, just be yourself, use the best of all worlds and make it your OWN!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I am a non-conformist, much to my husband's dismay. I tell him that it's not because I go against the grain just to go against the grain, but because I happen to be different from the norm! (OK, so we do have a wall full of IKEA bookshelves, but that's all we could afford!)

That being said, I have definite ideas about what I like and I tend to stick with them. I go for the "feeling" in a room more than its style. I like cozy. If a room gives me that feeling, I love it. That's why this newer "open concept" floorplan doesn't really work for me. (If someone can manage a cozy look, I would like that!) People on home shows (though all the home shows seem to be about people buying a new house these days!) seem to think several smaller rooms are no good, and plan everything around "entertaining." Personally, there is no way I would want to be in my LR and see my kitchen (though unfortunately, I sort of can in this house, though it's from the 50s). Or the bathroom attached to the bedroom? For me-- YUCK! I prefer the bathroom to be as far away from my bedroom (well, but on the same floor) as possible.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I just hope my many splashes of Leopard Print don't scream "poor taste"...too bad, keeping 'em. I don't know why I have to do a different theme in every room...I really need to check in with a design shrink some day. ;-0

• gmp3
    14 years ago

Thanks Palimpset, you are totally correct! I am a bit sick of homes that all look exactly alike. I am amazed when I walk into a person's home and they have nothing "old". I have many family antiques and other items that I've incorporated into my decorating scheme, they are meaningful to me and my family.

Form does follow function, so we have ceiling fans in our bedrooms and we use them to redistribute air flow even with the AC on. They aren't overly beautiful but they are functional.

Okay, I admit I painted my bedroom Baby Turtle, but when I asked for color ideas here I had never heard of it - it was original for me, and I do love the color.

• User
    14 years ago

Interesting posts.

I like a statement from the Jane Hall blog: "Taking emotional possession of your home and making it reflect it who you are is a lot cheaper than moving."

She's a bit over the top for my tastes, but I'm ready to barf all over the next seagrass rug I see.

Here is a link that might be useful: The tyrrany of