SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdc08

Round dining room table

mdc08
15 years ago

Looking for a new dining room table. I love the new round ones, but wonder if anyone out there has one. Do you think this is a trend that will go out soon...or is it even a new trend? :) Got any pictures of your dining room table?

Comments (39)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I have two of them in this post. I never thought of round tables as being new, however. Old oak round tables and many other styles have been around for ages.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR tables

• shellfish
    15 years ago

I have a round table-it just fit better in my room. I can take the leaves out and make it smaller, but I usually leave all of the leaves in, to make it the size you see in the pic

• Related Discussions

Any ideas for a warped dining table top?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'd post a pic but there is no possible salvation for my Thomasville 48* round dining room table top. The cherry veneer is completely separated and the finish is shot - all due to a potted plant I left on the table when I was away from home for a month. Ugh! So does anyone have any ideas for a fix (beyond using a tablecloth, which is what I've been doing)? Removing the existing top would be major surgery for which I don't have the tools or expertise, so the fix has to be something that would be on top of the existing surface. Any ideas appreciated!!!
    ...See More

Help choosing chandelier for dining room

Q

Comments (21)
    This is helping. I agree with the advice you’ve given so far. So, I need to introduce life into these rooms by adding accent colors. I’m stuck here too. I had water damage claim and as a result changed my brown/beige scheme to gray. I like the gray wall color but I’m intimidated by it. It was not an easy dealing with my insurance company and contractors so the project dragged on for months. Somewhere along the way it became less fun dealing with the change. One more thing - my best friend passed in her sleep 3 weeks ago at the age of 37. It’s been sad and depressing. I want and need color and life in these rooms and need to keep busy too. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I like blues more than going with red accents. I also think I need to find a different rug for living room. Should there be a rug underneath dining room table?
    ...See More

Square or round dining room table?

Q

Comments (10)
    Your space can handle it! If you go for round I suggest a pedestal so no issue with legs. Large square tables are rare and I view them as a more modern or casual look. We have a round that is 54" that has casters for ease of moving / cleaning. 6 chairs around it at all times. 4 use it regularly (we have only ONE dining area in this house) and sit next to one another so it takes some getting used to - imagine talking to someone next to you at a wedding reception. We have a 22" lazy susan which makes it easier to pass a serving dish. If we bring out our folding chairs (those white ones in a banquet hall you can get covers for) we can do 8. We have a 8' round rug that I wish was a little bigger.
    ...See More

Help with finding dining chairs for a modern farmhouse round table

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi :) Have you already selected a rug for your space? If you have, it would be great if you could share pictures or a link to the rug. That way, I can provide suggestions for chairs that would work well in your space.
    ...See More
  • Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I do not have one but have always been envious of the table that Charlie Rose uses in his TV talk show. Large round Oak table.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I've had 3 round tables (extending to ovals) over the past 30 years. If they're a new trend I guess I'm in again ;-)

There is something wonderfully equalizing about a round table, & if it fits in the space, that's always the direction I would go in. No sharp edges is a big plus. And if I had a space that fit one of the round tables that extends to still be round, I'd love that! Maybe that's the kind you're talking about?

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My dining room is 13 x 14 and I want one that will seat 8. Are those out there?

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

A 72" table will seat 8 comfortably; add the chairs & you might be a little bit tight in a 13 x 14 room.

A 60" table will seat 8 w/ a little tightly, but would probably fit the scale of the room a bit better.

What other furniture will you have in there? If there's not much else, the larger table could work, depending on door placement, etc. Still tight though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round table for 8

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the room. The only other thing I am putting in there is a small antique hutch. What ya think?

This is a new construction....so please excuse the mess. :)

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

Here's another thread with pictures

You can find round tables that were made 100 years ago and ones that are going to be on sale next season at the big shows. I don't think they're necessarily trendy.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

we just purchased a round table for our breakfast room. We too are finishing up construction, so please excuse the lack of trim around the windows......

I love the round. It is such fun to sit and really be able to "visit" while you dine. Our formal dining room is a large rectangle, so we do have a long rectangular table in that room. I prefer eating at the round, if that's any help. :o)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed, I'm on a DR chair hunt. Yours are lovely. Would you share the maker, please?

Thanks

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I love round tables and don't thing they are ever out of style.

• meg711
    15 years ago

We have a 60" diningroom table that we bought when we were living in an old Victorian apartment with a huge diningroom. It expands to about 10' long.

Our current diningroom is about 12'x12', and so we've decided not to have any other furniture in our room--for now anyway, because we didn't want anyone to feel cramped. One other issue that we didn't anticipate is the tray ceiling and the perfectly-centered chandelier and window. So even if we decide to move things over a foot or so, to fit a buffet or shallow console table, nothing will be centered properly. Just something for you to think about since you're in the middle of construction. Good luck!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

parma~ I just looked under the chairs, and it doesn't say. WE bought the table and chairs together end of September. I just saw this set at another furniture store a few days ago. I've bought furniture from them as well, so I'll try to call my sales gal and ask her to see who made it. I'll get back to you. Wish I knew. The delivery men delivered it, set it up and took off the tags for us. I just asked them to leave the plastic seat covers on for now. Tacky, I know. But trying to keep them nice for the upcoming holiday when we will have many guests.

For what it's worth, they are super, duper comfy. We just sit around after eating, because they are as comfy as a sofa. We love them. :o)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! I've been going crazy for over a year now. I loved shellfish's, also, (different direction) but the maker must have discontinued them because they didn't show up on their webpage.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I spent hours today trying to find your chairs, online, totallyblessed. I see that you are in zone 5. Anywhere near Illinois? If you could give me the name of the store you saw them at, I might be able to do some more digging.

Thanks!

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

I have three round tables including the one in my dining room and I love them. My dining room table is about 48" and I have four leaves that extend it to about 96X48. If we use all four leaves we need to remove a few small pieces of furniture out of the room so everyone can get around easily. To allow room for the table, I am planning to add one or two wall hung cabinets for storing wine glasses, dessert plates or coffee/tea cups but I haven't yet found anything that I like.

One reason I prefer round tables is that they facilitate conversation. Seated at a round table you are more easily facing everyone else. Another reason I prefer round tables is that I love to layer tablecloths - square over round or square layered diagonally over square. I have a collection of April Cornell table linens that are really easy to mix and match.

My dining room table is an antique. I have a few other antique pieces in the house but overall I am going for a coastal/cottage eclectic look. There is white wicker in a few rooms but none in the dining room. The table is the largest piece in that room and pretty much defines the room. It has never occurred to me that round dining tables could ever be out of style.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Hi Parma,

I just saw them at Akins Furniture in DogTown, AL. I haven't had a chance to call my salesgal yet. I'm sorry. Her name is Sonya, of you find their number before I get a chance. Was taking puppy to vet (drop off/pick up) and Christmas shopping all day today. Will try to call her tomorrow to ask. :o)

I know the town I bought mine in, but don't recall the store name. But I know the one I just saw in Dogtown is exactly the same set as my table/chairs. There was a Hooker round table right next to it, so you could tell Sonya that if she needs to run out to the showroom and check it out.

It's a large store, and has several galleries and rooms. They've been remodeling, so I don't know how to tell her where the table was, other than to say it was in the lower level, before you step up into the room that has the Habersham entertainment unit. :o)

I promise I'll try to call her tomorrow, and will let you know asap. :o)

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Shellfish, that is a really lovely room. I hope this is taken as the compliment it is intended to be, but you know how sometimes you see a room that you personally wouldn't have picked many of the items in, but you still love the room and think it works perfectly? I think that's good design. You have excellent taste.

• segbrown
    15 years ago

Ours extends into an oval, with two 18" leaves.

(I thought I posted this before, but I don't see it. If it's a repeat, I apologize.)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Parma,

My salesgirl is off on Thursday's, so I ran over to the furniture store where I saw my table/chairs last week. It ALREADY sold. :o( One of the other workers was there and he remembers the table. He said it is made by Samuel Lawrence, and it is discontinued. Maybe if you call around, you can find the chairs in a showroom that would be available for purchase. Good luck!

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

If you Google "Samuel Lawrence" + Viliana you will find chairs that are very similar if not the same.

They are very attractive chairs. Good luck.

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

segbrown:

Where'd you get your set and who makes it? What's the wood? I'm assuming you have a 6th chair. It's cute.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed-don't want to hijack the thread, but it's good to see you again and in your home finally! Can't wait to see more pics!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed, thank you so much! I should have figured they were discontinued, all the good stuff is, lol, and they wonder why people stop buying...it's not just the economy.

I was out of town today and couldn't find much in the way of decent clothing in the stores, either.

Thanks again!

• blanche65
    15 years ago

Those chairs may be discontinued, but they are still featured in the Samuel Lawrence online gallery. I love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining chairs photo

• texashottie
    15 years ago

TB, great taste! Love the table! The home looks wonderful--it's good to see you back here!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

parma, I hope you find the chairs. They really are SUPER comfortable, and always get compliments. DH and I just sortof smile at one another each time a new person comes to our home, because inevitably they comment on the awesome round table/chairs. :O) Then we giggle because we still don't have trim on our windows, so it keeps us humble. Ha, ha

Superchick and Texashottie, thanks. It is great to finally have a bit of spare time on my hands to get back to GW. I've missed you all. It's been fun catching up, and seeing what ya'll have been up to while I was gone. Everyone's homes look so fantastic. I'm getting motivated to start working on ours again. :o)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Totally, I'm really sorry for being a pest. :(

Could you tell me the colors in your chair fabric and whether they are warm or cool tones? Also, is the wood distressed, shiny, or anything else you think would help me?

Illinois doesn't have these chairs on display. I hate to order anything sight unseen as have been burned in the past.

The sites that show the chair always have the pics on rugs with decidedly cool colors. Mine are very warm with rusts, golds, greens and a bit of red and blue.

Thanks again, you're an angel!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Parma,
    I'm wondering if he just means the ROUND TABLE is discontinued, because I didn't notice it on SL website that was linked, but did see the chairs with rectangle table. Maybe you still CAN get the chairs?

Mine appear to be a different color way than the ones they show. I think their have red? Here are mine close up. I have a bit of a deep brownish-burgundy, but not red. Theirs in their photo look different to me.

Here's one shot:

and another:

Hope this helps. Let us know if you do find them, and what you think. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They look better even IRL than they do in photos. ;o)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Parma,

You're not a pest at all. I know, it is so difficult to order site unseen. I've been there, done that too, with much your same disappointing results.

You know, these chairs have sortof a blackish/brown weave, a very nice rich camel, the kindof burgundy-brown color, and a lighter, slightly cooler tan.

My house colors are very warm. And it looks perfect in here, so I believe it would look great in your space.

The wood is very warm and rich. Some distressing as in a few knicks and gauges, but not severe, and has a glaze rubbed over all. Honestly, I can not tell you how much we LOVE this set. Everyone loves it. The salesman yesterday at the store said that table was gone the first day they put it out, so I must have just caught it.

I don't do cheap. I just don't like cheap looking things, but I do love good prices. This set was a reasonable price, and our formal dining set was not shipped out here until a few weeks later, so we indulged and got this. So happy we did. It's now one of my favorite spaces in the house. Now to put up window trim and maybe put up some type of window tx.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask. I understand your indecision in not being able to see/sit on the chairs. But I swear you will be singing my referral praises if you get these chairs. They really are THAT awesome!! :o)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Parma,

You have many of the same colors in your home that I have in mine. If you look on the thread about "show me your sofa" (or something like that) you can see my greatroom furniture. That is our tv viewing room, so is more casual. The room is still fairly empty of decor, but you can see the warm walls (Bassett hall gold by Porter Paints... thanks to hollygolightly on here) and the rich colored furniture. Our breakfast room is off of the great room, and the table looks perfectly at home.

Not trying to hard sell you. Just trying to help, since I know you can't go see the chairs yourself.

• parma42
    15 years ago

You're not being a hard sell, lol.

I'm just terrified that it would come with purple or a strong burgundy color. You said the fabric didn't look like the one you had. I wouldn't be so finicky if it were for my breakfast area.

It's such a crap shoot ordering online. I did get a very good quoted price. As you can see from the rug, everything is so warm except the LR rug which turned out to be cooler than they said it would be (also an online order).

The chair I have on the close up is a Century chair that I got at a huge discount but only have one. :( It's just used as an accent.

• shellfish
    15 years ago

raenjapan-thank you very much for you compliment. I completely understand what you are saying-so many times I see something that I never would have chosen myself, but the room is beautiful. I appreciate your compliment. The DR is still a work in progress as I need to add drapery and artwork, but we'll get there.

Parma and totallyblessed-your rooms are beautiful. TB, I love your kitchen! Is that black cabinetry? I have always wanted to use black cabinets somewhere. Our house is a bit dark, so I am not sure it would work, but seeing yours gives me hope.
    Parma, I live in IL and purchased my DR chairs and table through Walter Smithe, if you are interested. However, TB's chairs would look amazing with your table.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

HI Parma,

your dining room is beautiful. I really like your table, the rug, and your accent chair.

Upon seeing your rug, I would have to say that I don't think my chairs would go well with that rug. It's hard to tell onscreen, but I tried scrolling back and forth and I just don't see the two being the best fit. Are you planning to keep that rug? If so, I have to say that I would keep looking for a different chair. :o(

It might be easiest to find a chair you like first, IF you are wanting a patterened (sp??) chair. And then find a complimentary rug after that. I do love your rug, so maybe you have another area you could use that rug in??

Of course, those are just my thoughts. I am by no means a professional. I just know that when I was shopping for a set, it was difficult for me to find chairs that I really loved. So I found them first, and will get my drapes and wall prints to go with. But that's just my process. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong. LOL! :O)

So what do you think? Are you going to take the plunge and order? I'm so happy you found a good price. Let me know if you do indeed order. And who knows. If you get the chairs, you may find that the rug and the chairs look great together in the end. Things DO look different online than in person, that's for sure. :o)

Keep us posted. I can't wait to see your finished room. It's definitely my taste, and I can surely see "my" chairs in your space. :o)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Yikes, I have your chair (TB) shown on my dining room chair thread and I think that Amy picked it as her favorite with my room.

Is it the color that would be wrong? I'm not afraid to mix patterns. The rug has to stay. DH and I already had to return another one and he loves this one. I wanted a less traditional interpretation of a traditional rug (if that makes sense) but the first one sent was the wrong color and I was afraid to order from that maker again. Yeesh, who said this was fun?

Shellfish, I think I asked about your chairs months ago and when you gave me the maker, they were discontinued. I bought my LR sofa and a FR chair from Walter E Smithe.

Small world. :)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Shellfish: I just adore your room -- elegant and so sexy! Brillant space for a party!

Jan

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

shellfish~ sorry, your post wasn't on here when I posted last. We must have been cross posting... I was long winded I guess. ;o)

Yes, that is black cabinetry on the island, and each cabinet flanking the stove hood. The rest of the perimeter cabinetry is brown. In the breakfast room, it's just the black, distressed a bit, with some glaze. We LOVE the combo, and everyone who visits seems to like the variety. ;O) Thanks.

Parma~ How funny that you just mentioned your other post, as I posted on that one a few minutes ago, and I too noticed that Amy voted for "my" chair. :o) he, he

I'm thinking the colors of the chair vs your rug might not be great together. But it's hard to tell irl. When you scroll back and forth between your rug photo and my chairs, what do you think?? Wish I could get my hands on your rug and put it under MY table. Then we'd know for sure, right??!! :o)
    Anyone in the mood to photoshop for Parma? I don't know how, or I surely would. :o) he, he

• segbrown
    15 years ago

debi_2006, thanks. The table and chairs are made by Statton, which closed business this fall. They are cherry. yes, I have more chairs; not sure why that one was missing.

Statton is still selling the rest of its inventory ... check the statton.com website if you're interested. The table is 7404, the chairs are 7226 (I think ... Fulton is the chair).

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

Thanks segbrown.