SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi72_gw

Contractor dented backsplash...what should I expect?

mimi72
14 years ago

I'm almost done with a minor kitchen remodel which included replacing an OTR microwave with a vent hood, and putting in a microwave drawer and some new cabinets, trimwork and reworking a countertop. For under the vent hood I bought a new Broan SS backsplash which was $220. Everything was fine and we were almost done but the builder/contractor was at the house today (it's him doing the work with one helper guy) doing some final touches and trim. Right off I noticed a ding/scratch/dent in the backsplash which was not there yesterday. It's small, looks like a small tool like a screwdriver went awry and into it, but visible. I could probably get used to it and ignore it but, darn it, why do these things always happen to me?

Anyway, I tend to feel sorry for the "other guy", basically a one man show who maybe is just getting by...so assuming I point it out to him...what should my expecation be? He's been understanding so far of my questions and done a quality job. As of now there's only one other issue -- a gap between a quarter round trim and a cabinet that I need to bring up. He was referred to me by the kitchen designer who advised me on the changes.

Advice from others that have had to deal with this but want to always "be nice" would be helpful. I tend to think I'm being "too picky" maybe because this is the way they make me feel. BTW, having my husband step in and do the dirty work is not an option, he won't and it's my baby.

Comments (9)