SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondhalf_gw

4 inches of rain and micro tornado- flooded basement in week 2

secondhalf
11 years ago

Well, we were lucky enough to get the best contractor in the state but not lucky enough to fool mother nature. A micro cell whipped through our New England town and because the foundation was temporarily open when 4 inches of rain came down in an hour, our 25 year old base,ent, which has never had a drop of water, was covered in 2 inches of water. It's finished...I had already moved 14 boxes of material from the first floor to get it out of the way of the renovation- the boxes were soaked...my poor husband was up at midnight balancing stacks of my great aunt's 100 year old china....I never let ANYONE touch it...the family jokes that no steak knives are allowed near it....and here he is taking it out of soaking boxes. The contractor and emergency crews were here all last night and today. There is insurance. We saved the stuff that meant something. I'm being forced to throw out stuff I probably shouldn't have been saving anyway. I know this isn't kitchen talk, but I also know that you great people have listened to me fret over counters, soapstone, cabinets, 8 foot ceilings, etc and I knew you'd understand the work involved in unpacking and repacking 15 boxes of soaked kitchen and dining room goods, not to mention cleaning out 19 years of basement that you didn't intend to tackle for a few years. Best to all of you who have lived rough much bigger disasters tha this little blip.

Comments (16)