SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrydi_gw

Soapstone w/Formica?!? Calling for backsplash help!

countrydi
13 years ago

WeÂre gutting our small-ish (9x15Â) 1965 kitchen and starting over (woo-hoo!). My question is about mixing materials/surfaces.

WeÂre doing soapstone countertops and a 42" single basin copper sink (Rachielle). Those are our loveÂem splurges.

The backsplash is throwing me, however. My husband suggested Formica, almost as a joke after exhausting numerous other ideas. While it does seem weird to put Formica behind soapstone, I find I rather like the idea for functional reasons  it's easy to clean, flat (no counter space lost, no dust ledge), has finish choices that can tie all the colors together  and itÂs inexpensive, to boot.

But is it too weird?

My problem isnÂt a Formica aversion  my second choice for countertop was Formica, but IÂve craved soapstone for ages and itÂs easier to do an undermount sink with stone. WeÂre probably using vinyl planks for flooring, so weÂre not opposed to mixing quirky surfaces in this space.

Anyway, backsplash alternatives or suggestions?

Tile? I really, deeply dislike grout.

Copper? I worry about it matching the sink over time.

Beadboard or sheetrock? WeÂre nervous about water.

4" soapstone? A dust ledge (shudder!), plus I really want the backsplash to be 18" around all the counters. An 18" soapstone splash would be more money than I could stomach, in addition to the dust-gathering ledge aspect.

So, Formica is our best idea for a backsplash, despite itÂs incongruous aspects.

Function over form? Or just plain weird? Alternative ideas welcomed.

In case it helps to picture things, weÂre carrying over colors from elsewhere in the house:

khaki/olive-ish stained cabinets,

creamy/yellow-ish walls,

copper sink (like an old penny, not a faux dark finish),

soapstone,

black and black/stainless appliances.

A Formica backsplash would probably be one of the slate patterns (Madras Indian Slate honed?) to pick up all the colors. I'm aiming for neutral/blended rather than strong accent. We'll accent with decor.

The faucet finish is also throwing us a little, but thatÂs another post for another day. (smile)

Thanks in advance, whether for head-shaking, outright laughter, go-for-it, or totally different responses. All comers welcome.

P.S.

Does it help to know that we live in the country with two kids? We're not going anywhere, and I don't give a flip about resale value or what the neighbors or contractors think. That's why we're keeping the skylights and the adjoining living room brick floor. We just like 'em. Want to like the backsplash that way, too.

Comments (5)