SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramseybean

New to GW: help with counter/backsplash w/cream cabinets

ramseybean
13 years ago

Hi All,

I have been reading all of your comments for the past few months and have gotten lots of good ideas but I have hit a wall now that the cabinets have arrived. They are beautiful, but more creamy than I imagined in the lighting of my kitchen. I don't have a lot of natural light due to a wooded lot and a western exposure. The sample cabinet looked great but now that it is all in I am struggling with what to pair with the cabinets so they don't look 'dirty'. The color on the cabinets is most similar to BM Bone or BM OC-1 Natural Wicker. They are really gorgeous but the combo of the lighting and colors of counters concern me. It is too late to change the color (I am thinking I should have chosen a 'lighter' cream but was too afraid of it being too white).

We have brought home a million countertop options and I am really puzzled as to what to pick. I do not like granite or the look of granite, so that is out. I have looked at Caesarstone, Silestone, etc and am just not sure what to pick. I love the look of soapstone but am concerned about the maintenance. I just looked at lucretzia's pictures of her finished kitchen and they are amazing.

I was hoping to do a glass tile backsplash and an engineered countertop. I have been leaning toward the light counters - the cream/marble look (I don't want to do real marble). For instance I have looked at Tigris Sand Silestone but my husband and best friend say it is way too blah (as the Tigris is about the same exact color as the cabinets).

I tried Caesarstone oyster - that is white with some flecks with Walker Zanger Roku Sharkskin but my husband thought that was too blah too.

Any thoughts on the soapstone with this kitchen? I like things to look clean & am not a huge fan of a 'weathered' look. Will that look really weathered in 10 years? Also what about a backsplash? Should i stick with a creamy subway tile or is there a glass option someone has seen/used that might work. Walker Zanger is killing me with their prices so other options are welcome.

Also I am going to try and figure out how to post pictures. I used a flash at night so I don't think the pictures are truly reflective of the color. Any input would be so welcome.

Thank you for your time!!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pictures

Comments (8)