SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teapotmissy_gw

Need Help with New Kitchen Layout

teapotmissy
13 years ago

I've been searching the forums for a while and can't thank everyone enough for such valuable information and inspiration. So many of my questions have been answered by previous posts, I haven't needed to post until now.

We are remodeling our kitchen to improve storage and add an eat-in island. The kitchen is 13' 9" by 16' with 12'4" tall ceilings. The house is an early 1900s victorian cottage. Overall, I'm aiming to create a vintage inspired kitchen with a few modern elements. I've finally pulled together my new kitchen layout (drawings are attempted to be at scale), but need help with a few key issues:

1) Pantry/Fridge wall - I want this wall to have the appearance of an antique china cabinet in the middle with glass upper doors. The 36' french door fridge will be paneled. Pantry doors will match fridge panels for symmetry. I can't decide how the china cabinet part should look. I'm also planning to use glass doors with elliptical or X-shaped mullions. I've drawn two options, and I welcome your ideas for improvements.

2) Range Hood wall - I plan to use a liner hood with cabinet style hood. Our ceilings are 12'4" high and I have to vent straight up through attic due to the wall arrangement and code requirements. I need to cover the ducting with either cabinetry or a sheetrock box as drawn. I can't come up with anything better here, and would really appreciate suggestions.

3) Stacking Upper Cabinets - I love my tall ceilings, but the current 42" cabinets look wimpy. I'm concerned about the getting the proportions right at the range hood if I stack the upper cabinets. Our crown comes down about one foot from the ceiling, leaving 136" for max cabinet height. Working from the bottom up: 36" base with countertop) + 18" backsplash + 42" Upper + 18" Upper + 6" Cabinet Crown = 120". That leaves 16" of sheetrock between cabinets and crown. Does this seem right?

I'm caught in analysis paralysis here. Please help!

Comments (6)