SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

What color paint to coordinate with the brick wall?

vdinli
16 years ago

We have an ugly 1950's brick wall with a brass fireplace and dark, dark faux wood paneling. DH is tired of listening to me crib about this room and wants to paint the paneling over the holidays. This 15 X20 room has only one window facing west-so little or no natural light. As for usage, it gets used only in the eve for watching TV and browsing on our computer and as a playroom by our DS. The furniture/carpet in the room is not an issue as most of it will be replaced once the room is ready.

I am sorry for the mess in this photo-my only excuse is it was taken by an exuberant DH who wanted to share pics of our first home with his folks even before we were fully moved in :-) Not that it looks very different now-the mess is just in primary colors!

So my thoughts as far as colors were:-

Both of us want something warm and glows a little at night-definetely lighter in tone than the ugly paneling u can see a little bit on the right.

I was thinking maybe something golden green/yellow gold.

What do you guys think? Once the paneling is painted maybe I will feel better about this room and ask more decor related questions.

Thanks in advance

Vinaya

Comments (19)

• johnmari
    16 years ago

You'll want to swatch test a golden-green or yellowish color - I can't really see it playing nicely with the maroon tones in the brick, personally, and I think it may accentuate the oranges. Pulling colors from the brick actually makes it LESS obtrusive! Believe it or not, I used a grayed lavender/light plum (warm-toned; Ben Moore Wet Concrete) with brick almost exactly like that and it looked fantabulous. You wouldn't think a color like that could be neutral but it worked surprisingly well with every color we threw at it. A warm medium gray-beige (not quite taupe, that's too cool) might be worth thinking about, since I'm seeing that in the brick too. In the greens, rather than a golden green I would lean more toward a mossy green. If you're worried about going too dark a rich cream color, not too yellow, may also work - try to pick up the cream tones in the brick.

IMO a "glow" in the evening is very much a function of lighting and the actual paint used more than the color, since I've seen chocolate brown and deep blue "glow" and lighter colors fall flat on their metaphorical faces. I like C2 paint for richness and depth of color, even in the pastels. Others here have liked Ellen Kennon's paint from ICI, Devine, and Benjamin Moore's new Aura paint is generating some good reviews.

HOWEVER..... I also might think very, very seriously about just lighting the heck out of the room for now and waiting until you replace the carpet and furniture to repaint (unless you like painting) because it is a LOT easier to match paint to fabrics than the other way around. It's also a good idea to live in a new-to-you house for a while (3-6 months is often recommended) before going nuts decorating it - you may find that the initial ideas you have change somewhat.

• valzone5
    16 years ago

I have a brick wall very simliar to that coloring in my basement and I painted the walls a gold color and really didn't like it at all. I now have green walls and like that much better.

• Related Discussions

help with paint color to coordinate with brick fireplace

Q

Comments (2)
    dark? heck no! Texas Leather wouldn't be too dark for the kitchen unless you had trouble with the cabinets... but you're allowed to play games with the available light, you know... since the hallway is darkest, you might want to go with a lighter shade there - or have it all given a base coat of the Oaks, or something like Wilmington Tan, and use a sponge-roller to go over the hallway in something 'brighter' like the Stuart Gold, or lighter, like the Concord Ivory, to make up for the lack of light. I'd want to know more about the rooms, though - the way light moves across open spaces matters more in some cases than others, where you can get a pink/god light in from the east, a blue light from the north, and a green light from the west, as the setting sun passes through trees or something.
    ...See More

paint color to coordinate with fireplace bricks

Q

Comments (1)
    Post this over at the decorating forum - you will get lots of good ideas there. You post a photo by placing it on a server somewhere, such as photobucket or tinypics, then copy the link in your post and add this in front of the http: >img src= and this after the .jpg BUT, change the carets around from what I have written, at the end.
    ...See More

Orangish brick floors - what color to paint walls?

Q

Comments (16)
    I don't know what lights go with adobe style so I googled some..interesting.. http://www.thesouthweststore.com/CCPEG330-335_series.html I'm sure there are many more. you also don't have to go with strictly that style. but i kinda like it..well i like everything that has animals or plants on it, so i'm far from being objective
    ...See More

what wall color paint to compliment brown brick fireplace?

Q

Comments (1)
    Wall paint selection is based on textiles in the room. I would paint the walls the same color you are planning to paint the bookshelves. Right now the floor is busy and does not complement the FP so 1 color may work best. Have you thought about whitewashing or painting the brick?
    ...See More
  • mclarke
    16 years ago

What other colors are in the room? In terms of furniture, rugs, etc?

My first thought on looking at your fireplace is that it would be improved with a surround. There are a zillion different styles -- here's just one:

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

A green is going to accentuate the brick even more because the green will play against the red of the brick and accentuate the brick tones more than a color closer to the brick colors will (I hope that made sense!). In other words, red/green are complementary colors so the green is going to make the red redder and vice versa. I like Mari's idea of something along the lines of Wet Concrete, or even a pale gray or rosy-gray (sorry I don't have any specific colors to recommend off the top of my head). I'd also replace the sconces over the mantel. Not only do they look like outdoor fixtures, but with that dark glass, I bet they don't shed much light. With some better lighting and lighter walls, you'll probably like the room a lot better.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your honest opinions. We did some swatch tests on a golden-green and a golden-brown. You are right, it doesn't look very nice. There are so many shades and hues available it makes my head spin to think of tweaking it.
    johnmari, thanks for the BM wet concrete suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of it at all. I have seen pics of your previous living room and it was gorgeous there! I will have to get a swatch up. I was also thinking of SW Blonde for a rich cream(atleast that's what it looks like on my monitor). Also, thanks for the tips on the brands of paints and the difference lighting makes.
    sueb20, I got your point immediately..it made so much sense. I have been thinking of colors in the same way as I would dress. That's not going to work here, right! LOL.
    valzone, I would love to see pics if you have any available. I am also tempted by a pale green.
    mcclarke, I would love to get a substantial mantle built for the fireplace. Its just that I am not sure I want to keep the brick. I want to pick the best color to paint the paneling and see if I like the brick better. I definitely do not like the paneling as is.
    As for the other changes in the room we are waiting for our basement to be finished in the next few months and then we can move the futon and play room stuff down there and get actual furniture for this room.
    We have been in this house almost a yr and half and we haven't done much with a rambunctious toddler and full time jobs keeping us very busy. It just feels like painting the paneling would make us feel better about the room and like we actually accomplished something. YKWIM?

• mzdee
    16 years ago

If you're painting paneling in a room with little light, consider one of the creamy off whites. My former galley kitchen had faux paneling (and more issues than I had $$). So, I painted the paneling a creamy white with Behr one coat. What a difference!

The neutral will allow you to accent the heck out of the room to work with the brick color.

Congrats on your new home and happy unpacking!

• vdinli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mzdee, any ideas on what the color name was? If you remember, i would like to add it to the list of colors to try.
    thank you for your wishes..(makes sheepish face :)) we have been here for a yr and half and that's the only pic i had without people in the middle. Not that it looks much better these days!

• cookie8
    16 years ago

Kind of hiding - would you paint the brick out completely? Then you can choose any colour you like.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cookie8, some days i feel like just doing that! But DH likes the brick so we will try to make it work. if not...

• cookie8
    16 years ago

Benjamin Moore Rocky Road might look okay. It would bring out the stone at the bottom.

• mzdee
    16 years ago

Vinudev,
    The paint was "Innocence" I believe.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Vinaya, these colors were all taken directly off your fireplace... the last one had to be taken out of the fire box itself as that color didn't show up on the brick in the computer picture you provided. These should at least give you some idea of how some different colors would look.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• vdinli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Oceanna! It defintely gives me some starting point to try different colors. can't wait to show DH. Its really nice of you and the other photoshopping experts here to spend so much time giving other people's projects direction. I was thinking of doing some Photoshopping some time soon just didn't get around to doing it!
    mzdee, thanks for the name of the paint. am looking it up on colorcharts right now.
    vinaya

• teacats
    16 years ago

I vote for a fresh soft white walls OR the darker olive green walls. Use lots of fresh white or black-painted accents in the room.

You can also paint the brass doors -- use heat-resistant barbecue paint -- check at Home Depot or Lowes.

Your brick is the same kind as was used to build the outside of my home! SO -- I can honestly say that a darker sage or olive green works really really well -- because thats the color that we painted the siding!

We also painted all of the panelling here when we moved in -- back in 1993 -- in white -- and it changed the feeling of the room instantly!

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I like the color in the fourth picture. Very rich and contemporary looking, and it takes some of the "pinkiness" out of the brick color.

• User
    16 years ago

I wish I had looked at this post sooner....you have the den from my precious house. I wish I had pics to post. We filled the cracks in between the panels and then papered it with a beautiful linen look paper. It was vinyl coated and very rich looking. You couldn't tell that it wasn't linen even when you were really close to it. Our brick was exactly like yours. The room looked so beautiful after we covered all that paneling. We added a floor to ceiling bookcase on one wall out of dark stained wood to match the rest of the trim in the room and the other builtins. You might really want to think of doing htis instead of painting. The look was much more elegant , at least that is what everyone said and I agree. Hope this helps. Caroline

• vdinli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

teacats, I am going to put up some swatches of off-whites and olives just to see how they look. There just so many shades from so many manufacturers, how does one decide?
    mclarke, DH liked that one too. I liked the last one better-we just will have to see.
    trialrunner, your den sounds just like what I want this room to be! built-in bookcases on both sides, a substantial mantle, a warm cozy color on the walls. Thanks for the heads up on the wall paper idea. will give it some thought.
    As always, thank you all for your time and effort.
    Vinaya

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You're very welcome! :-) Here are some lighter colors for you...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I just love the look of painted panelling. Panelling gives a wonderful texture to the wall, and adds charm, IMO. I see painted panelling used in some of the very best magazines.

• valzone5
    16 years ago

Vinaya - I thought that I had a picture, but I can't find it...I will have to take a new one.