SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

I'm clueless! upholstery fabric: through designers only?

tetrazzini
16 years ago

I'm planning to replace our old, beat-up sofas with the kind of upholstered furniture you see at Crate and Barrel or Mitchell Gold, for example. The problem is I haven't been in love with their fabric selections. I have a pretty discriminating eye, so I don't settle for things easily.

I think if I could see a selection of really nice fabric, I'd be able to put together a combination I'd be happy with. I've gone to a couple of upholstery fabric stores (a local one with a huge selection, and Calico Corners) and haven't seen anything I've liked. I have seen some fabrics I like in magazine ads, so I know it exists. I have the impression that the best fabrics are sold "to the trade" only.

Can anyone explain how this works? I know I'd have to have a decorator involved in order to buy anything, but can I go into places by myself just to look? Do these kinds of places have showrooms, or stores, or what, and how does one find them?! Or am I wrong, and can find more interesting fabrics at retail places I don't know about? I live close enough to NYC to look there, I just don't know what to look for.

I've tried looking online, and somehow keep hitting dead ends. For example, the other day I saw in House Beautiful some fabric I liked on a chair. I went to its website (the company is Kravet) hoping to find more fabric I liked and couldn't even find the specific fabric mentioned in the magazine.

As you can see, I'm clueless here. Can anyone help?! Thank you!

Comments (20)