SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Prep zone/Cleanup zone--how do you separate them?

breezygirl
13 years ago

In the few minutes I've had between small children duties this summer (boy, will I be glad when school starts tomorrow!), I've been trying to work on my layout since the third one I posted still didn't seem to have any fans.

One of my main problems with the current one-sink kitchen is that my prep zone always interferes with cleanup zone. I must prep very near to a sink as I wash/rinse my hands VERY often (IÂm weird), plus the usual water needs for prepping. I canÂt stand working in an area with dirty dishes sitting on the counter or in the sink under where I am working. I try to clean up the dirty dishes after a meal or before I start the next meal prep, but IÂm time-challenged with the kids. IÂd love to have a separate prep sink to solve this problem, but maybe my kitchen size wonÂt support it. (IÂm planning on posting my plan again with better visuals soon, but wanted to ask this question in the meantime.)

How do the rest of you with one sink handle this? Are you vigilant enough to clean all the dirty dishes before you begin the meal? Do you just ignore the mess and work around it? Order take out? Sit on the kitche floor and sob?

Comments (14)