SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Today I cried at the stone yard.

muskokascp
12 years ago

I'm such a baby but geez I am so ready for this kitchen to be done and felt like I was just weeks away. Now it could be months and months = tears at the stone yard.

Finding the right counters for this kitchen has been the craziest emotional roller coaster ride - and while I love a good roller coaster, I would not suggest this one!

First, I fell in love with Sochi's quartzite and found some locally but the slabs they had here were not clean - lots of rust and green spots and the veining was more brownish vs grey. I had them move all the slabs so I could look at them but there were no clean slabs. The salesperson tried to discourage me from looking at all of them because "they are all from the same spot in the quarry so they will all be the same". Anywho - checked all kinds of places online trying to find the quartzite. No luck.

Decided I would go with carrera marble but again, no slabs here that made my heart sing. They all had a very grey background and even the stoneyard said they were having trouble getting nice white carrera. Ok, then how about calacutta? Super expensive but beautiful right - yep, on the online pictures but not here in my stoneyard. If I'm going to pay a premium for calacutta, I want stunning calacutta!!

Then in February (yes 6 months ago - sigh, see why I'm dying??) the stoneyard sent me a picture of a new beautiful quartzite (white macabus)they were getting in. Looks like marble - stunning. Ok sign me up! Except...this batch had vertical bands of darker grey interspersed in the stone - very straight 1" bands that did not look natural. They noticed this when they honed a piece for me. Said they couldn't hone it out and it was inherent to the stone. Really. Crap. However, the first sample they gave me was polished and looking at it now, the vertical band is present as well so the honing was not the issue.

Still looking. Still thinking the perfect marble will show up..Last month they got a new shipment of the white macabus in and this shipment had beautiful grey veins and was very lovely. No vertical bands in sight. But they wouldn't hone it for me. Not sure why. Can I live with polished?? Not sure, not sure.

Then my cabinets got installed and they let me borrow a large piece 3X3 to see how it looked in the kitchen. Loved it, even polished. ( and I was not going to get polished anything!) Yay!!! Decision made, the long hunt is over. Reserve 3 slabs for me please. Last week they came to template. Two weeks and they would be installed. Hip hip hurray!! This week I got an email from the saleslady telling me that as they have been going through the lot there has been less and less veining which she figured I would love. Huh?

Today I went to look at my 3 slabs but they had not moved them to the front for viewing so the guy there told me they would all look like the slab on the front. Ahhh - no, you're gonna have to move the slabs so I can see what my $3000 deposit is holding. Took a while and as each slab was revealed, there was less and less veining. Then I saw the 3 with my name on them. That's when I cried. Waa...they are no where near what I thought I was getting. I cannot use these slabs.

Now, they told me there is another shipment coming but the container is not full yet so there is no ETA. Even when it is sent out it will be 5-6 weeks in transit. I'll have first pick of the slabs but what if they are more of the same that I saw today!? I think I have aged just trying to find counters.

I also want soapstone on the island but the soapstone they have here seems awfully shiny to me and doesn't have that lovely soft feel to it. I need to follow up with them to see if they will refinish the surface for me. Knowing them, the answer will be no. Joshua wanna come to Halifax?

I live in a small city of 400, 000 and this is the only game in town with slabs to view and pick from. There are soapstone companies that will ship to us but the problem is finding a fabricator to install..there are no independent installers. They all work for companies that sell their own granite and thus do not have the liability if there are installation problems.

Today my ebb is on low. I feel so defeated and tired and just yucky and sad.

Comments (17)