SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

How to get an excellent countertop fabrication and installation?

It's time for a new kitchen in my old house. I have never created a kitchen from scratch, so I have been reading lots of posts in this forum and have learned so much! Even so, I still have several questions. Here is another one...

After looking at lots of slabs, I want Taj Mahal, Madre Perola or a similar quartzite for countertops. The kitchen I want is airy, quiet, light and classic which will fit my lovely old home. (Life has enough drama; I don't need any in the kitchen.) I have read the numerous posts about marble marketed as quartzite, countertop geology, etc. I think I am making an informed choice and will certainly test any slabs with lemon juice, red wine and a piece of glass.

What I worry about is the fabrication and installation. The layout includes three corners so there will have to be several seams. Are the best places at the fronts and backs of sinks and the cooktop? I have read so many posts about rusting rods, ragged edges, bad seams and other issues. Are rods always needed? If so, where? Will there be a better outcome if certain machines, blades and tools are used in fabrication and installation? If so, which ones? What questions should I ask potential fabricators to increase the likelihood of an excellent outcome? I live in a mid-sized city so there are only a few fabricators from whom to choose and I want to choose wisely.

Again, your sage advice is appreciated!

Comments (9)