SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Ebay question for ebay mavens. Selling first item.

ILoveRed
16 years ago

I am selling my first item with dd's help---Four concert tickets that we won't be able to use (GOOD tickets starting at face value with free shipping). They are the printed kind from ticketmaster, not the hard stock kind that are sent to you. Should I have mentioned that in the listing? Does it look like I am trying to rip off the buyer? Will I get a negative feedback when I send them these printed tickets?

Should I go back and revise the listing, or am I just being backward?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (31)

• patches123
    16 years ago

As long as the tickets are valid and you note that they are the kind you print from ticketmaster you will be fine. I would note the ticket type in the listing just to avoid any craziness with first time buyers.

A lot of times, there is a link you get from ticketmaster that you can print your tickets from. If so, I would send the winner the link. Anyone who has bought tickets recently probably is aware that "hard stock tickets" are becoming a thing of the past.

• snookums
    16 years ago

Definitely mention it. Rule of thumb - if in doubt, DON'T leave it out.

Most likely most people who have purchased tickets on ebay before will be familiar with this type but you want to cover your butt just in case.

• Related Discussions

Selling on Ebay -- Any Advice?

Q

Comments (17)
    I just read on an EBay item that the seller adds .80 to cover the buyer's confirmation that they received the item. She says that even though she has proof of mailing it, they say the item hasn't been received and therefore needs proof on the other end that the item was delivered. I watch Marjolein Bastin items (Hallmark collectibles) and I am amazed at how much some people ask for items. I bought a set of her prints for less than $10, and now I am seeing them offered for $60. Someone else will be selling a set of her decorative plates for .99 as a starting bid and the selling price ended up being $13.00 but another seller started one plate at $13 and it went unsold. Who would bid on the one plate while the set was offered for so much less? Also seems that the same people end up winning bids. I am sure that many are resellers and put in auto bids but give others a chance to collect things we like and can afford. I know... if I really want it, I will keep bidding. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. That's life. I sold both my used fridge and stove, $50 each and my old set of cookware for $25 in the same weekend on Craigslist. Cash only, people came on time and took each item and were happy to get them. I made sure hubby was home when they came and I handled everything by email. Couldn't very well go to a parking lot with fridge hooked up so they could see it working.
    ...See More

Does anyone still sell on Ebay?

Q

Comments (12)
    You really must have a good idea of the shipping cost before you list an item. Surprises later will not do! I ask international bidders to contat me for shipping costs before they bid. Buyers seem to understand that shipping costs have increased. They're also probably happy to find a seller who doesn't grossly inflate the shipping fee. I'm reluctant to sell fragile china and glass because I'm afraid to pack and ship it. I know people do this all the time, but I'm convinced mine would arrive in a thousand pieces. Kath, pay close attention to the words you put in the subject line. Think of the terms people might use to search for your item, and include as many of them as you can. And take good, clear pictures!
    ...See More

My First eBay Sale - Hope to declutter more!

Q

Comments (4)
    I too have been trying to declutter and sell some things on e-bay. I have only listed about 6 things at a time. As I list them I put them in a rubbermaid tote set aside so there will be no confusion what has been listed. I have so many professional clothes that I no longer wear it seems silly to keep them in my tooo full closet. I have started my items out at a very low price, I really just want them out of here and make a little in the deal! One thing my post office said was to order the shipping things from usps.com and I have done that, its great to have the boxes here to package the items. Lotsa luck to you... Karen L
    ...See More

Ebay question?

Q

Comments (6)
    I have not heard of such a rule. I know sometimes paypal allows returns even if the seller doesn't officially accept them, but that's different. And, I think in June, a new policy will be in place that forces sellers to have a set return policy and allow returns. I also believe in some cases, ebay themselves may actually take the hit if a dispute is unresolved and it is not clear who's at fault. There are some things changing, but I "think" your friend's interpretation is probably wrong. Refer to #3 in the below link. Here is a link that might be useful: ebay seller updates
    ...See More
  • zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Ditto what the other posters have said. Plus, if you don't have any bids yet, you may be able to add the statement.

You can put it something like: "Please note that these tickets are printed from Ticketmaster"

good luck with your auction!

• yborgal
    16 years ago

As others have said, describe them completely.

Also, if you have a Buy It Now option, request "Pay Immediately" so that the auction is still running until payment is made. Otherwise, state you want PayPal payment within X amount of time. You don't want someone delaying payment, and perhaps not paying, so you run out of sale time before the event.
    Accepting checks or money orders takes too long to get the $$ for these types of sales into your account. PayPal is instant.

When you mail them, be sure to ask for Signature Confirmation, Delivery Confirmation and insure them. Registered mail, though extremely secure, takes a bit longer to get to your buyer than Priority Mail.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

What reason would there be to not revise the listing to describe the item? Please, tell me there's not a fee ;)

I would give them a way to verify the validity of the tickets before payment.

• kec01
    16 years ago

One cannot revise their listing AFTER a bid has been placed.

Revise the listing if you can. Complete and honest descriptions will definitely save you hassles in the future. We've learned that advice the hard way.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

You cannot revise a listing after a bid has been placed, but you can add to it.

Also, you can have a friend ask a question where the answer you give will be what you need to explain. Then allow the question and answer to be posted under the listing for others to see.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

A lot of times, there is a link you get from ticketmaster that you can print your tickets from. If so, I would send the winner the link. Anyone who has bought tickets recently probably is aware that "hard stock tickets" are becoming a thing of the past.

Absolutely correct.

Definitely add a statement about these being electronic tickets to your listing, just so your bidders will be completely clear on what they're getting. I can't see how it could be a problem, though. I've sold a few event tickets via eBay myself, and they've always been electronic. I don't think most people even expect "hard stock" tickets anymore.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Just realized I posted it on the wrong side. No bids yet, so I will make revisions tonight if I hurry. Seems I have a lot to learn about selling.

Off to make the changes.

Thanks!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mona--If you are available, may I ask you a question? For the life of me, I can't figure out how to add to my listing "Buy it Now". I have 100% positive feedback with a score of 23. I also have a PayPal account and required Paypal for payment in the listing. The more I read on ebay, the more confused I got. Can you explain it in simple terms, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks. Still zero bids. I thought I would place a lower "Buy it Now" price just to get the tickets sold (hopefully).

I also added the statement "The tickets are printed from Ticketmaster" as zone 8 grandma suggesed.

Thanks all!

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Red, no problem. It should be simple.

Go to the listing. Click on "Revise your item"

Scroll down past the description to where you have your starting price. To the right should be a Buy It Now option where you insert your $$ amount.

After that, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "continue".
    At the bottom of the next page you'll see something like "Submit Changes".

Feel free to email me if this doesn't work or if you have other questions. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Are there lots of these tickets available? Are they selling?
    Can you give an auction #?

Mona

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Speaking of eBay. We had a lengthy thread (now gone it seems) on insuring items. I've been browsing a bit and notice some sellers stating that shipping & insurance is the sole responsibility of the buyer. During checkout, it is an option.

I have chosen no insurance on a couple items because I fear I'm being double-dipped or something.

Didn't someone find it in writing, by eBay, that the seller is always responsible for ensuring a safe delivery of the item?

• yborgal
    16 years ago

A seller doesn't have to insure an item, but is responsible for packing it well and getting it to the buyer in the condition in which it was described. Often, a seller will mandate the buyer pay for insurance and the buyer knows upfront that he will be paying for it. This is acceptable and fairly common.

Sometimes insurance is optional. If an item is not expensive, non-breakable and the seller knows the packing is solid, then insurance isn't really needed but sometimes a buyer will feel more secure in having the item insured and pays for it as an option. This might happen if it's a one-of-a-kind item, or it's worth far more than the selling price.

A seller can disclaim responsibility for a broken item once it leaves his home but the truth is that a seller will always have to reimburse the buyer if an item arrives broken, or is lost in transport.

It's hard to believe but I have had buyers opt to purchase insurance on a $1.99 item where the insurance cost them $1.65.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Taking a bit to get it through my head -- I guess that's why they have the opt on there then, kind of for the seller to chose not to insure, but still giving the buyer the option if they want.

I don't think it's accurate, though, to state that it's the buyer's sole responsibility for shipping when eBay ultimately requires a purchase to the door in said condition.

Thanks for your explanation!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mona--here's the auction #. I am so nervous about doing this. I don't know why I feel like I will screw this up. I did follow your directions for the Buy it Now option. Would you mind looking it over and letting me know if there is anything else I need to add, or if I overlooked anything important?

THANKS!!!

BTW--If these tickets do not sell on Ebay, it really is not big deal--I will put an add in our local paper and I know they will sell. I just thought this would be a good way to get my feet wet with trying to sell on Ebay.

Again-TIA :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My listing

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I would add 'Concert Tickets' to the heading.

Is $240 the face value? If it's a sold out event then they will probably sell, just keep relisting. Otherwise, lower the price on the relist if you want to sell them sooner.

To list in our local paper is expensive, so you may want to consider deducting what you'd spend for a local ad and see if they'll sell faster on ebay.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Red, it looks good to me but I would offer insurance as part of the free shipping.

Remember if they sell, get Signature Confirmation and Delivery Confirmation and print the label through PayPal as added proof of a shipping label.

The only thing you might have done is list them in 2 auctions of a pair of tickets. If you listed them within minutes of each other and offered to combine shipping someone could still have bought 4. And if 2 separate bidders only wanted 2, then you offered them an option.

I see there are other tickets to this concert listed and they have no bids either. It may be that it's too soon for people to be planning so far ahead with Christmas shopping to take care of right now.

If they don't sell, relist them around January 10th. That might be a better time.

You'll have your nails bitten down to the quick before this first listing is done. It gets better, trust me.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

annz--I tried to add "Concert Tickets" to the heading and it wouldn't let me. I didn't have enough characters left. Would it be worth adding it as a subheading for .50 (I know--dumb question). I actually paid 282.75 all told. The tickets were 59.75 each and with the other Ticketmaster charges it came up to 282.75. So, I will be losing money if they sell at the price listed, but I figured it was better than losing all of my money. Do you think I listed too low? TIA.

Mona--A couple of questions.

1) I will send the tickets UPS with insurance. Do I need to note that in my listing? If so, where?

"Remember if they sell, get Signature Confirmation and Delivery Confirmation and print the label through PayPal as added proof of a shipping label."

2) I have only paid through Paypal--I have never been PAID through Paypal. How does that work? Where do I find the label (through Paypal) that you refer to above (in the quote)?

Thanks, thanks, triple thanks!

"The only thing you might have done is list them in 2 auctions of a pair of tickets. If you listed them within minutes of each other and offered to combine shipping someone could still have bought 4. And if 2 separate bidders only wanted 2, then you offered them an option."

Great suggestion! Scary--but great.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I'd pay the extra $.50. In the first line "Concert Tickets". In the 2nd line "4 Great Floor Seats"

After the sell, you'll be given a prompt to send an invoice. After they pay, you'll be instructed to print a label. On the next page you're given a choice to print a sample or print label. Print the label. Another drop down box appears DO NOt CLICK OKAY UNTIL AFTER YOUR LABEL HAS PRINTED OUT! Then you pring a packing slip...print 2. One you include in the envelope and the other you keep with the label receipt for your records.
    I would send them USPS Priority with the above requirements.
    You have Seller Protection this way.

If you're losing money at this Buy It Now price, subtract the final value fees and listing fees and you'll be losing more.

I'd raise it to $290 and start at $260, especially if it's sold out closer to the concert date. Or when you relist just start them at $260 for a true auction with No Reserve or Buy It Now.

I'd leave the amounts alone right now because a lurker could be discouraged from bidding if the price goes up. But think about this for a future relist.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK Mona, I added the 2nd line. Yes, if they sell at this Buy it Now price I am losing at least 40 bucks. So, if they don't sell, I will relist at a higher price.

I thought about raising the "Buy it Now" price on this listing, because I am losing so much, but as you noted it might scare off any lurkers. I did notice that I have a "watcher" (so cool!).

I printed your last post in case I need to do that. It sounds like you think I might have more luck closer to the concert date.

Thanks again. You have been so helpful.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Curious, how does this response strike others? My question was whether shipping costs could be reduced by shipping non-Priority and no insurance:

In answer to your question. I am sorry but the shipping cost cannot be reduced. This is a fair shipping amount and as you know the rates have increased. I posted the amount on the site ... and if you had any qualms about the shipping you should have asked before bidding. It is a standard rate amount and sent 1st Class mail-no insurance added. Thanks for doing business with me ...

• yborgal
    16 years ago

If you're already shipping non-Priority then other than 1st class you could only go with Media Mail but that's only for printed material without any advertising. Is this what he's asking?

And as far as insurance goes, if the item is fragile and expensive then you really need to protect yourself with insurance. The question is who would pay for the insurance.
    If you're making a nice profit on the item you might offer to pay for the insurance, but you're not obligated to do so.

If you stated that insurance was required and that you were shipping 1st class, then he should have read that and bid only if he was comfortable with the shipping terms.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm the buyer :) A lot of sellers autom ship Priority and I also wanted to make sure insurance wasn't being added to the shipping charges. It's just a piece of fabric, not terribly expensive. So I asked if shipping costs could be reduced by shipping non-Priority and w/o insurance.

So, that was the response I got.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Okay. Then as the buyer I would be wondering how much the fabric weighs and calculate shipping from her zip to mine to see how much extra she's adding in "packing fees" to the postal rate.
    How did she describe the shipping? Is it calculated or flat rate for everybody. Standard rate? If so, then I'd assume it was not Priority. And if she didn't say Insurance was included in shipping, then I wouldn't expect to be paying for insurance, either.

I have specified Priority Mail in my auctions and have had a bidder ask about 1st class mail shipping AFTER a bid was placed and I did agree to ship at the lower cost. But that's because I wasn't padding the shipping fees to make a "stealth" profit. Maybe this seller is making extra $$ on the shipping and that's why she won't budge.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Well, the reason I'm asking is because her answer seems so darn snippy. I just wanted to check on the way it was being shipped because I don't need anything special. Other sellers have adjusted to remove the special shipping charges.

I do think it sounds like she might be padding it, based on her tone. I wasn't having qualms about the deal after the fact.

I'm not up on all the shipping terms, etc, so I ask. Guess I can just look at the label when it arrives and see how much the actual postage is.

No one else responds like that. They're very friendly. I thought it was weird and was taken aback a bit.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Squirrel,
    I thought the answer you posted in your original post was a bit rude, but because I mis-read your post I thought you were the seller, not the buyer, and I was sugar-coating my response so as not to offend an online friend.

Had I been aware you were the buyer I would have responded with these comments.

"If she were a caring seller I think she should have simply said that she was shipping non-priority w/no insurance. Her added comments were not neccessary and rude."

I don't think I'd buy from her again.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Gee, I sure hope I don't come across like that! Her answer struck me as verrry rude, actually, and I was taken aback by it. I'm getting old and really don't like being talked to that way :) I'm thinking the same thing -- I won't bother with that kind of aggravation again. How odd.

I re-checked to see how I worded my question. It was a bit brief, but I don't think it sounds bad:

I'm wondering if shipping costs can be reduced. I don't need rush Priority Mail or insurance.
    Thanks!

Well, gee, I guess that question would tick just about anyone off, huh? Good grief.

Glad it's not just me :) Thanks.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Squirrel, you were perfectly within your rights to ask that question and you worded it just fine.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I am so sorry you are getting old! When did that start happening??? lol

I was reading your question and her response. I think she may not have meant to read "rude" but rather, she might have read too much into YOUR question, that you were questioning HER about her high shipping.......see what I mean??? And I will say one thing.......when I sell on Ebay, I usually use a little post office store in the shopping center where I work, and ship Priority everything. Unless it's a big box, that is. So I just do those rates on all since I don't have the time or desire to hunt around for other options, and it seems so many people really love that Priority thing, their stuff arrives a little faster, you know?

Red

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

She has a good rating but I scrolled around to read a few neutrals. Ha! Didn't a couple people note how high the shipping was compared to the postage stamp -- $8 for a $3 shipment, and double on another. Looks like I'll be getting some smokey items too. She leaves the same snippy comments in response to complaints.

Her shipping isn't all that different from other similar items I just ordered, so I'll have to see what the postage actually is. One came the other day and it was just wrapped in a simple plastic bag. I think some sellers charge for their trip to the post office and such. That's what one woman overseas told me a few years ago. She had to take a cab into the city and get it weighed and posted .... now would I do all that for nothing? .... Very expensive, but they do seem to like sending air though.

Sigh. Just trying to keep the costs down!

Thanks for your help!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Red, I didn't see your response. Yes it seems a lot of people do like the Priority shipments. I just don't need to pay more to have things here fast. Shipping fees are a drag as it is! I bought from the UK quite a bit a few years ago and they would always ship air, understandably I guess because of the slowness otherwise, and the possibility of things getting lost in a winding transit. But, it was quite a bit more expensive, so I'd go parcel post most of the time. Usually didn't take all that long. Added to insuring items, it just really adds up. And when you haven't even seen the item firsthand, well, it's just a lot of money on extras.

Yes, it does look like some of her buyers have noticed the post on the package is quite a bit lower than what they were charged. So she may have thought I was questioning her too.

Well, I have no control over her packaging and handling charges, but can request slow mail and no insurance! :)

And dang! I did manage to get old. I'm not sure when that happened!