SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanar_gw

'Green' kitchens - check in here

jeanar
15 years ago

I'm wondering how many others there are out there trying to incorporate some green features and thought we might share some ideas. I know there are many who think the green movement is a bunch of bull, but I plan on doing what I can anyway -- without sacrificing what I want too much.

We're to the studs and used FSC certified lumber for any new construction and the cotton insulation was put in this week. Our contractor hadn't worked with it before, but said he thought it was pretty interesting. Beyond being double the price for fiberglass, he also had to put up a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) that he hadn't intended, so more money again. Still, he thought it was great not having to deal with the whole fiberglass nastiness.

We've had to walk away from the cork -- more for aesthetics. But the flooring guy says the new oak he'll be putting down is a mixture of old and new, and the old maple he's pulling up will be reused.

I'm ignoring the fact that our soapstone and granite is quarried in Brazil. I'll have to buy some credits for that one.

What are you doing?

Comments (27)