SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Pantry shelves in laundry? Layout advice/install questions

jenswrens
14 years ago

I've been perusing some of the great pantry threads for the past hour, trying to get ideas on what to do about my overall horrible storage situation in this tiny house (that's another thread for later!). My previous 2 houses had large finished basements I could use. This house is 1/2 the size with twice the people and a storage nightmare! We don't even have a coat closet. The vaccuum usually lies around in the living room - no home for it either. But I digress...

I've decided to add a bunch of open shelves and a few cabinets to my laundry room. I like open shelving for it's ease of access but not necessarily the clutter that might ensue. However, I love the look of organized shelves in some of the other pantries I've seen (buehl, sharb, others).

This "pantry" will be mostly for all the stuff that doesn't fit in my kitchen and other stuff that I don't know what to do with (lightbulbs, catfood, litter, pet meds, cleaning supplies, birdfood, bird dishes, small tools, paper/plastic bags, excess paper towels & tissues, weird little odds/ends, etc).

This laundry room is 8'x7' and will now do the work of 3 rooms (laundry, powder room, pantry/storage). I want it to be attractive and functional.

The one wall I have to work with, opposite the machines and commode/sink, is 95" long x 96" high. I want it to include shelves, cabinets and a space for a rod to hang wet clothes from the laundry. (Tentative sketch below.) I'd like the shelves to wrap around the corner (like buehl's). I also like having open floor space under the shelves/cabs.

My install questions is: Do fixed shelves have to have the long support board underneath or can you just use the decorative shelf brackets? And why do I see so many shelves with a long vertical stick going down to the floor in the corner? Must I have that?

Here's a pic of my tentative plan and some photos of the tiny room. Any advice appreciated!

Comments (5)