SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmortarmixer

Working pantry layout advice

11 years ago

It seems that everyone has really good ideas on here and setting up the best use of available space. We are getting the point where I need to decide where water lines, drain, and stove line needs to go so we can get the rest of the walls up. If anyone has any good suggestions or any ideas, I would much appreciate it. What I have is a completely blank slate. I will attach a picture of the floorplan. The doorway and stairs cannot be moved. At least one window will probably go, maybe both. Keep in mind long term food storage, so heat, light, and moisture need to be kept to a minimum. In an ideal world, the plumbing and range would stay on or near the north wall because it's the easiest and most direct route to water and electric supply and easiest to vent outside. It would get really ugly on the south wall, but could be done worst case scenario. This is typically one butt all the time. Occasionally an extra skinny butt or three little butts help, so I'd really like to cram in as much functional space as possible without endangering anyone.

This is what it needs to be able to do.

-Long term food storage, both dry goods and canned goods. Shelving or floor to ceiling shallow cabinetry is ideal. Cheap rules.
-Meat processing, which requires a large expanse of countertop, as well as room for a commercial meat grinder (about 18x24") and freezer paper roll (15X24"). I'm thinking at least 6 ft of uninterrupted counter.
-Canning. I use my 30" electric range for this, plus a good exhaust system. Needs to be close to sink.
-Sink. For hand-washing and canning. I'm thinking a laundry sink with a pull down faucet might work for here, and be incredibly cheap. Whatever the sink, it needs to be tough, there will be lots of heavy items moving around in here.
-Chest freezer. I think it's 54" +/- long. I access it at least twice a day. So it needs to be convenient from the kitchen.
-Storage for empty jars. Ideally, I would like to get as many moved inside as possible. Traveling to the pole barn to grab boxes is really inconvenient.

I think instead of cabinetry that will really drive up costs, I would like to do something similar to a work bench with a shelf underneath. I can easily store my canning jars in boxes and bins on the shelf, as well as meat grinder and paper roll. It's also easier to mop after processing when there isn't anything directly on the floor to mop against. We might even be able to bolt the bench to the wall and prevent legs on the floor altogether in that area. I'd also like to leave the wall above the space empty. The ceilings are only 7.5' and Mr. MM is 6'5". Processing seems to require a lot of leaning over and I'd like to prevent a concussion.

Comments (31)