SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_343451

Venting out of an unused chimney in a 268 year old house

User
15 years ago

Hi all!

I am on to a new project; this time ripping out a kitchen in my mom's new 268 year old house.

I just ripped out the old kitchen and I found a hole in a masonry wall which had been covered with drywall sometime in the last 30 years or so. We think this masonry wall is the back of an old fireplace which has been covered over and turned into a closet under the stairs. The hole is likely where the original cookstove vented into in last several hundred years. When I look into it, there is a small horizontal run of 1-2 feet leading into the origianl chimney. There are no plans to ever reconvert this to working foreplace as there is another fireplace in that room too.

Does anyone know if a chimney could be relined with ductwork if this could be used for her over range ventilation? It looks like a terracotta stovepipe sticking out of the roof.

We are trying to do a historically appropriate unfitted kitchen with all the modern day conveniences. There is only 1 place now to put the range due to the 18 inch thick walls and ventialtion requirements and if she could use the chimney, it would be another place we could put the aga range. Currently the only place to put the range is in a corner, not the most ideal spot.

Thanks for any advice!

Cleo

Comments (3)