SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Are dark green cabinets considered outdated?

sis2two
12 years ago

My kitchen cabinets are almost 10 years old and are of good quality but I have lately been wondering if maybe the dark green cabinets are out of style? My uppers are stained maple with only the bottom cabinets green. I see lots of gray green which is probably considered more neutral than mine. Not to mention that I watch too many decorating shows where gray, white, and cream is more of the norm. Just looking for some honest opinions. Thanks so much.

Comments (44)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Well, yeah, dark green is definitely outdated, but wait a couple of years and it will be all the thing and those gray-greens will be *so* out. If you really care, you could re-paint and maybe do some new hardware. Says the person just now re-doing a 40 year old kitchen that had a simple re-stain 20 or so years ago. ;-)

• brickton
    12 years ago

Not necessarily. Here's a brand new kitchen remodel done by a designer and they used SW Rosemary for the cabinets. I like it a lot and because of the cabinet style, shelves, countertops, accessories it doesn't look even a bit outdated. Or maybe it does look outdated to some and I just love it anyway. Happens.

Green Cabinets

Details

• Related Discussions

Are oak cabinets totally outdated?

Q

Comments (70)
    I love the look of oak. When I bought my refacing supplies 2 years ago, I went with oak. Of course it took me 2 years to get started on the project, and by then my distributor had all kinds of woods, but I'm still happy with oak. I like the graining, and it has a kind of "Craftsman" look that I like. I have the plain flat-panel doors so they're kind of Craftsman-looking and I think that makes them more "classic" instead of "dated." Or maybe I'm just delusional. I do think, however, that those oak doors with the arched panels look a bit dated. But today's dated is tomorrow's retro. Don't you think that in a few years all those maple and cherry cabinets with the dark granite counters will look dated?
    ...See More

Any pics of DARK green/greyish cabs, please!

Q

Comments (25)
    Sarah, Here are some photos of our cabinets as our kitchen renovation is in progress. They are a Wood-Mode "designer" color that doesn't have a name, but is similar to Farrow and Ball Lichen. I hope I set up the link right. I think you can just copy and paste. Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets
    ...See More

What goes with natural cherry and dark green?

Q

Comments (13)
    We're doing a light stain on cherry cabinets with Virginia Mist antiqued granite, which is a dark gray/black color with some lighter swirls. I too spent a long time trying to figure out what to do for a backsplash. Our walls are painted a light grey/blue/green (gray wisp by BM), which added another color to consider. My DH wanted a white subway tile - I liked the idea of a lighter color backsplash, but the white seemed too stark. We haven't installed ours yet (still waiting on under cabinet lighting before making final commitment), but I'm leaning towards an offwhite/greyish subway tile with a crackle finish - the crackle offers some variation and a slightly darker pattern that picks up the dark of the countertop, and the greyish color coordinates better with the wall color, but when you look from across the room it does achieve the white subway tile look DH wanted. I found some lovely fireclay tiles that looked even better, but their cost (~$25/sq. foot) was too much for us - the tile we found is about $9/sq. foot. What helped me narrow down some options was to look online for photos (through this website, google images, and Houzz) of cherry cabinets with Virginia Mist, but also soapstone, and any other dark granite name I could remember. Then I also brought samples home - that made a big difference too and helped me narrow down more of the options. Good luck!
    ...See More

Going green ... Dark green that is!

Q

Comments (64)
    Gigi, first off I love your home. It has a cozy elegance about it that just is so enticing. So many of your beautiful belongings remind me of my DM's home. She had lovely taste as do you. The Relentless Olive looks perfect! I am so anxious to see your room when the painting is finished. Mtn, LOL over your comment on Olive Kitteridge, she was indeed relentless. ET change a word
    ...See More
  • suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I like that kitchen color too. It's a darker green than the pale sages I was thinking of when sis2two mentioned the popular gray-greens, but it's still a grayed green in the sage (or in this case rosemary) family. Sis2two, when you say dark green, are you meaning dark like this kitchen or dark like forest green? Older kitchens in green were often, sort of like:

which are BM's Hartford Green and Tarrytown Green.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are two pics of my cabinets. Any suggestions would be welcome.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

They are great. The fact that you have different uppers makes all the difference. A GW in upstate NY just put in a dark (not as dark as yours but not sage by any means)green kitchen.
    You have subway tiles! All the rage now. Soapstone? Check! Wood floors!WhooHoo!
    Is it just me? I say leave this kitchen as is!:)

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

I love it -- especially since it's not like every other kitchen (spoken as the owner of a white kitchen). Wouldn't change a thing. It doesn't look a bit outdated.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

lower part so dark I can't tell it's green. what I can see of the kitchen looks super! if you like them, keep them. They don't have to be in 'style' if it's what you like. Whose 'style' counts?

yours

• bethcw
    12 years ago

I think your cabinets (and floors, counters, bs, etc.) ALL look terrific! Not out-dated at all! If it were my kitchen, I would keep absolutely everything, except the hardware. I'd replace the wood knobs with something a little more current. that is an easy and inexpensive change.

Beth

• avadoone
    12 years ago

The knobs are the only thing that seem dated to me. I think a brushed nickle knob would be better.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the responses and so quickly. The truth is that I like them most of the time until I see all the more neutral colors on cabinets and start wondering if I should change them. Believe me, I don't relish having them painted. I think changing the hardware is a great idea. Will look into that. Thanks again.

• tracie.erin
    12 years ago

I think your kitchen is adorable and wouldn't change a thing!

• roarah
    12 years ago

I do not know if they are dated but I do know your kitchen is beautiful and I feel it would lose alot of it's design and beauty if the cabs were anything other than what they are now! BtW everything is dated the second after it is finished something else is already on the forefront of design so we should never follow trends just for our hearts.

• brickton
    12 years ago

I agree. The knobs on the lowers are not my favorite, but besides maybe swapping those out, I wouldn't touch a thing about this kitchen. I think it's great.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

It's a great kitchen! I agree, change out the knobs on the lower cabinets, but you really don't need to do anything else.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I think the green cabinets are a great match for your rustic island and as everyone else has notedEverything else is perfect. Leave it.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Great kitchen! I vote to leave the wood knobs on the uppers just as they are and to paint the lower knobs green to match the cabs. (The wood-tone knobs down there sort of stick out.) Or if you feel like more of a change, perhaps dark metal knobs or pulls for the lowers, still leaving the upper knobs alone. You just don't see wood knobs in kitchens much, that's why I like them on your uppers. They give an antique-furniture look to the cabinets.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I want dark green cabs on my lowers now that I have
    seen your adorable kitchen. Keep your green.
    ~boxer

• dee850
    12 years ago

I love seeing painted cabinets that are not neutral, and I don't know that bold colors were ever so common that paint color alone would date the kitchen. I really like your kitchen as is, sis2two, and agree with others that the only thing to change may be the knobs if you want. I think painting them the same green would look good, but might not stand up as well to use.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I like the dark green. Yours seems so dark that it is a neutral, but with some life -- and a natural color that seems a perfect compliment to the stained wood. I do agree about the knobs. I'd probably replace them all, but definitely change the ones on the green cabinets. Those big contrasting knobs are a dated look. Everything else seems very current without being cookie cutter.

• judydel
    12 years ago

Looks great to me also. I wish I could see the actual color of your green cabinets. Not because I'm worried they are not a bad color. But because I'd like to enjoy seeing the actual color green, that's all. Your kitchen feels very colonial to me.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

My only thought was the knobs stick out too much because of the contrasting color and they are a little too chunky IMHO. I was afraid I'd be the only one after reading the first few, but it seems like it is the consensus.
    I'd try something else, but not necessarily anything too current or you'll be wondering if it looks outdated soon enough.
    I think a simple glass knob would work on both uppers and lowers. Going with pulls instead could also freshen up the look....
    Please post when you are completed so we can enjoy the transformation. Hardware alone can make a big difference.

• function_first
    12 years ago

I love your cabinets, and think your soapstone is gorgeous. I think, though that I would paint the lower cabinets black vs. leaving them green. In the pics above they read as black -- at least to me they seemed to be the same color as your kitchen chairs -- but in this backsplash photo from your album, they look a much lighter green, which doesn't look bad or dated -- but black would be more sophisticated, IMO> Of course flash can do crazy things to color, so maybe this isn't an accurate representation of the color....

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you who answered my post. The actual color is called cottage green by woodmode and reads a little darker than the last picture posted by kris ma, probably due to the fact we live in the woods. Changing the knobs is a great idea! I ordered several different ones last night from restoration hardware. Glass would be my favorite but not sure if they would look the best. They had one called seasons in an oil rubbed bronze that I loved and also ordered. Ordered about seven in all including some nickel ones If all of you could just come over when they get here, that would be great! I really appreciate you guys. Thanks for the kind remarks. The style I am going for is farmhousey. Is that a real word.? Thanks again.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The actual name of the knob I like is called ornate seaon. Reads as black to me though.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Just MHO, I really like the wood knobs and think they go with the rest of the elements in your kit.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

I was expecting something different reading your text and was so surprised to see your actual kitchen photo. It looks like a brand new reveal here. Dated? No way.

The only thing I would change-my taste-would be to select darker (oil rubbed bronze?) knobs for your lowers so that they'll blend. Right now those knobs are highlighted feature because of the contrast and I think there are much nicer elements in your kitchen to draw attention to!

You could also paint those lower knobs to match the lower cabinets....

Perhaps relevant to folks contemplating green cabinets, the cover of The Oregonian Home & Garden section today showed a (mid) green kitchen. (See link below.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Green kitchen in The Oregonian, scroll down

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

i love the color as it shows in kris ma's post!

found this pic of cottage green online - do yours look like this in real? lighting has so much to do with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage green

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph--mine don't appear that same color in real life. It is really weird, but sometimes they look green/black and other times they look like the greens in suzannes1 photo of bm colors. It really transitions throughout the day. I am curious about the photo that you found because wood mode actually stopped carrying cottage green a few years ago. I guess it probably isn't a recent photo. Thank you for pulling that picture. Does the hardware look like nickel to you. I have tried some black and orb hardware and I'm not sure that I like those. They just disappear, but maybe I need it to. I like brushed nickel, but am not sure I would want to leave the wood knobs on the uppers. What do you think?

• dutchaccent
    12 years ago

Sis2two, I love your kitchen! I also like the fact that your kitchen is different than everybody else's . Good for you!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dutchaccent- thanks for your kind words.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

hi sis2two--Just my opinion--I would not mix the nickel with the wood. I just saw that you said you're going for "farmhousey." (When I first skimmed your thread I mistakenly assumed that maybe the "country/cottage" wood knobs were what you were wanting to update.)

I wonder if you're not liking the nickel and ORB because they're looking less farmhousey (compared to the wood) to you? Satin nickel hardware doesn't scream farmhouse to me, but I think oil rubbed bronze hardware on uppers and lowers could work.

What about ORB bin pulls (aka cup pulls) on drawers and ORB knobs on cabinets? You mentioned Restoration hardware...what about using the Gilmore pull on your lower drawers in ORB with the Aubrey knob in ORB on all the cabinets?

Another idea--just brainstorming here-- what about white or black porcelain knobs? White to tie into your backsplash? Black to tie into your counters? Or choose same size/profile and do black on the bottom and white on the top?

Wood knobs are quintessential "farmhouse." I think as lascatx said it may just be the contrasting wood knobs on lowers that could appear dated, if the lower knobs were painted the same green I think instantly less so.

What did you think of the idea that others suggested of just keeping your wood knobs and paint the bottom ones green to match your cabinets? I like that idea best...and it would probably be cheapest, given the prices of RH's hardware! :)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

sis2 - I copied that pic into my photo prog, lightened it up and pull the pulls up closer. they look silverish, so I'd say nickel.

That might look too shiny/modern for you. Have you thought about a dull silverish finish like pewter? My sister has great not shiny pulls from Lee Valley Hrdw. I love hers. they are actually weathered nickel. see link - page 26. she has R and T on top left of page. click on the page to enlarge.

Lee's has others in pewter and other duller finishes. I need to look at what's new there!

cottage green paint color - it could depend on what it was painted over? type of wood? primer? and I'm sure the lighting has a lot to do with it. The lighting used for the ad pic was much different than what's in your kitchen I'm sure!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Diamond pull

• sayde
    12 years ago

I really like it too! I like the wood knobs. They are right with those cabinets. Don't change a thing! It all works. Love the great view out your window too!

• annac54
    12 years ago

Love the green cabinets (my favorite color), but for me, personally, I would have to go with something other than the wood knobs. I'm a sucker for pretty knobs and pulls.... :)

If ORB hardware is darker than you like, try looking for "antique" or "weathered" nickel or pewter. They wouldn't be bright and shiny, but are not as dark as ORB and would show up nicely against both the natural and painted green cabinets.

There are a lot of online sites with a good selection of hardware and many will send you samples for a nominal price.

I got good service and pricing from Interknobs.com, and samples from several other companies.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I am actually going to contact Woodmode tomorrow and inquire as to whether I could order the green wood knobs for the bottom. Since they no longer carry the cottage green finish, I'm not sure they would be available. I love the British version of our country home magazines, and in those their cabinetry, which I love, uses the big wooden knobs. That is where I first started seeing those. Most were the white or light painted cabs with the natural stained knobs. Thanks again guys.

• Studioist
    12 years ago

I really like your kitchen. It looks very warm and fresh.

• hackwriter
    12 years ago

Sis2Two: How big is your kitchen? I posted elsewhere about my oak-refaced upper cabinets but I want to replace my base cabinets with something dark and your colors are pretty close to what I have in mind. My sister the realtor thinks these colors won't work well in a small kitchen, that it'll be too cluttered. My kitchen is 9-1/2' x 17' and the L-shaped cooking area is about 9-1/2 x 10.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hackwriter- my actual kitchen area is 14 x 12 but has a breakfast nook of about 10 x 11. Recently I saw a kitchen in a remodel that had black distressed cabinets and it was beautiful. It was a very small kitchen.

• bondia
    3 years ago

If you see this, sis2two, I'd love to know what you did. Interesting that eight years ago you thought green cabinets were dated - here they are, in 2020, very "in" again. And you seemed to be an early adopter of having uppers wood and lowers painted (or vice versa.)

sis2two thanked bondia
  • Julie Schmooley
    3 years ago

Can’t wait to see the knobs you ordered! Like everyone else, adore the kitchen!! 🥰

sis2two thanked Julie Schmooley
  • Julie Schmooley
    3 years ago

That is so weird I see now this post is from 2011!! It showed up when I was searching discussions! I can’t see your previous posts are able to comment with pics today?

• bondia
    3 years ago

sis2two, that sounds lovely. So glad you are happy with it.

• Laura Barber
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have a lovely Pear-wood Arts and Crafts style kitchen...it's around 20 years old (the cabinets etc.) but I wouldn't paint over it - no matter how untrendy people consider it. Lovely coloured leaded light cupboard doors and square cut-outs. I can't stand these dismal dark green kitchens...sorry to say that, if you've got one, but I'm old fashioned! I like the one pictured, though, as it seems to be surrounded by natural wood and the green acts as an accent rather than adding to a dark look. Nice neat job in the picture.