SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrpandy

One thing after another... they set the bar too high

mrpandy
15 years ago

We told our KD and GC all along that we wanted a raised bar area adjacent to our new counters - just your basic breakfast bar with a couple of stools. The whole project is almost done, and we went out last night to look at furniture - a round, bar height table with four stools, and two more stools for the bar. We were stunned to discover that our bar was built too high. The counter is 36" high, and the bar is 48". We now know that chairs are usually 12" shorter than the eating surface, and the standard height for a bar is 42". The 30" stools and 42" pub table we found would look great with our cabinets, but the people sitting at the bar would have 18" from seat to plate - perfect for shoveling food into your mouth but otherwise pretty uncomfortable.

There are places that can get 36" stools, but vertically-challenged folks like MrsPandy would have trouble hopping up on them, and they just don't look right to us.

I thought that the bar looked a little high, but I didn't know what was correct so I didn't question the professionals. Should we have known what height to tell them to build it, or we were correct (and unfortunate) in assuming that they should have know what the standard height is, knowing that we wanted to sit at the bar on bar stools?

Sometimes we just feel like crying.

Comments (11)