SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Turn Wet Bar (Room) Into Pantry?

pricklypearcactus
13 years ago

What do you think about turning a wet bar room into a walk in pantry? How would this impact resale to the modern family?

While a remodel is still a ways out for me, I am trying to work on possible layouts for when I am able to do a kitchen remodel. My kitchen is on the small-medium side and while I hope to maximize storage, I seem to struggle for an appropriate place to store pantry items, specifically non-perishable foods and dog food. My home (built in the 1970s) has a wet bar room off of the family room with a pass through and bar counter into the family room and an entry door off of the laundry room (which has a door off of the family room). The family room is directly off of the kitchen: down a few stairs but open to the kitchen.

Right now we find the wet bar to be not very functional as its intended purpose. The entry into the wet bar requires passage through the laundry room and then through a door which must be closed except when entering due to doorway/passage conflict. The laundry room is also the entry into the house from the garage and acts as a mud room of sorts. The wet bar has a single small sink and shallow base cabinets. We store liquor, wine, glasses, and bar tools (cocktail shaker, stirrers, etc) in the cabinets. However, we do not drink much and when we do, we're more often hosting a party where the guests are drinking beer from our beer fridge in the garage. Mainly we use the room for storing dog food (a big tupperware box sits on the floor in the way of the never used sink) and we use the countertop for our family dropping ground (keys, back packs, hats, anything-else-you-could-possibly-bring home). It's a mess.

What do you think about closing off the pass through and turning the room into a walk in pantry? I would then probably want to route the plumbing into the family room and have a small wet bar area where the countertop is currently located with enough cabinets (lower and upper) for storing glasses and liquor. I would also consider putting in a small wine fridge, which I would certainly enjoy. The benefits would be gaining a large pantry and making a more usable bar. The drawbacks would be any resale issue, the loss of bar seating (which we don't even have/use right now) and the loss of a drop zone. I suspect the bar countertop could end up being a drop zone, or better yet, I could possibly put a cabinet or table a little further into the room for that purpose (with drawers to hide cell phones and purses and such). I should also clarify that I live in Utah, where a large percentage of home buyers would not have any need for liquor, wine, or beer storage or usage.

Here are a few inspiration images of the type of small wet bar area I would want instead of the current room setup.

Comments (8)