SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Update to my painful drape/rod post

User
15 years ago

*please note: the drapes need ironed and fixed better on the rings. I never got around to finishing up painting the trim because of Christmas. On Christmas, DH's uncle said he would come Monday night and finish it. I put these up and took them back down quick, Monday came and went and no paint. . . . . . . . . .

Question 1: Where do you start the rings clips on the panel? At the very edge? In a little ways? Mine look sloppy close up.

Question 2: The clipped part...when hung, does that part go towards the back and the material beside is hump forward? Hope I'm making sense here. Can't find the words.

Question 3: Should I ditch the rings? Shower curtain keeps coming to mind when I look at them! Could just be me! I think I'd like them better hung with drapery hooks through the rings.

Kmcg - Hope you read this. Would you mind measuring where those rings are on your PB drapes? I'm afraid to take it to DH's Grandma for fear of not getting them back for 2 + months so I may have to find another option.

Before: I'm cringing looking at this. This was when I first hung these up. First curtains ever. I did later squish the panels more. For awhile got rid of the valance. Then added it back, got to a point that I hated the sheers and the cats ruined them.

{{gwi:1670294}}

After:

My Dad hung the rod for me. DH could've drilled the holes but isn't much into playing with a tape measure and football was on. I like the drapes, I like the rod, but I honestly think they could've went out farther on the sides. Surprise. When hanging the rod I didn't take into consideration the width of the brackets. Told Dad 7" past the trim. With the brackets it's 6"..which is PB's recommendation! So really there would only be 6" more to give. Window is 100", 7" on each side (with brackets) totaling 114" from a 120" rod is 6". I don't think it would be good to go exactly 120" for fear the rod might be stretched too far and collapse if pulled or bumped wrong. I have three lovely cats and kids will come.

It's one of those things I just couldn't visualize. 10" past the trim on each side sounded so far out the sides to me. :) *sigh*

{{gwi:1887308}}

{{gwi:1888292}}

Around the Room:

{{gwi:1888293}}

{{gwi:1888294}}

{{gwi:1888295}}

I do believe I'll be painting those wall vents/return things.

{{gwi:1888296}}

Final Question: Whatcha think of the drapes?

Comments (123)

• ctlane
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks great. It looks comfortable and less empty. I really like the EC broken up and it balances out the heavy pieces.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!! I could've never done it with out you guys! Seriously, I was ready to just give it up again the other day and live with my unbalanced living room until it was time to buy new furniture. Deep down was cringing at having the stand apart because I like how it looks together. I do believe it was the best option for the room size, elemements, and all the stipulations I gave. (such as there's no tv jack on the other wall, I'd like to keep all the stuff in the room.)
    Asked DH this morning what he though. He smiled and said he liked it! Ha!!

Reno - Which side of the stand would you put the taller plant/tree on? Would you also keep the palm behind the sofa? I did move both the sofa and loveseat up and it looks better.

Ctlane - Thanks! Somehow I think the room appears larger.

Any ideas what I can do about the carpet crushing? I think I read about using a hair dryer?

Next will be a couple pieces of art on the walls. I'll need help for that with the main wall when you walk in. Don't want it to look cluttered. So excited! Thanks again everyone for all your help and patients. I may sound goofy but it really does mean a lot to me. So glad Brutuses and Reno went there again with my arrangement.

Where is Val and Kmcg? They followed along the drapery road with me too. .

• Related Discussions

Update on daughter and my hip pain--------------

Q

Comments (6)
    Florence, glad to hear she's doing better, hopefully she will continue to thrive. Things like this go one of two ways, make you stronger, or totally depress you & can ruin your life. With me, it made me stronger, with someone else I know they started sinking and almost 3 years later are in a big deep hole. Just be sure to keep your eye on her. About my pain--it is still very painful in the thigh area---I had a bone scan on Thurs but will not know results till Tues--- Did you get the info I left in your other post? If you look here you can see that thigh pain can also come from the lumbar region. I also left you an address for acupuncture, she's very good. I actually had some relief when I saw her after my dad died (2006) but she's so far away, I couldn't drive myself & hubby couldn't take off 3 times a week to drive me. CMA Acupuncture Dr. Chenghhi Zhu 1644 Bridge St. Philadelphia, PA 215-744-8260 and another office 1405 Joel Drive Ambler PA 215-646-3153 Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Another pain update------YUK

Q

Comments (8)
    Florence, there are answers, and I hope your doctors find them soon. I had student a couple of years ago who had horrible headaches much of the time. She was 16 and had been to many places including Mayos. Last year I received an email from the parents that they had taken her to M.D. Anderson in Houston. They found something very tiny in her brain. They fixed it, and now she feels great. Sometimes it may not be the facility, but the doctors who happen to be there. You just need the right person to discover what is wrong. I hope you will be able to get some other opinions, and find out what in the world has happened. (A fellow teacher said that her daughter had minor surgery in her abdomen, the surgery made a nerve angry --"angry nerve???" And that was the cause of her pain. There are all kinds of things that could be wrong. Good luck, and keep us informed. Sammy
    ...See More

Unusual Drape Rod/Hanging question....

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm a little foggy on this, perhaps I'm just not visualizing well...Are you asking whether the brackets holding the rod should be placed next to the edge of the window? If this is what you are asking, then, how would you push the drapes to hang 10" past the window frame with the bracket in the way? I must be missing something. On all my windows, and most recently, on this one near the corner of the kitchen, I hung my drapery rod brackets as far out from the edge of the window as I could, to widen the look of the window, and to allow the fabric to 'stack' full while only intruding into the actual window area the slightest amount. For this window, I had to allow a couple of inches for the finial to not bump the adjacent wall at the corner, so I was only able to hang the brackets 6" outside the window, otherwise, the drape rod with finial wouldn't fit. As a result, the drape does cover part of the glass. I don't like that, but I was limited by space. My window is only 35" wide, but it looks about 48" wide because of the draperies. Red
    ...See More

Help me pick drape material and rod

Q

Comments (11)
    Ladies, thank you so much for the advice. I went today and bought the drapes that were made from the largest swatch. I really could not beat the price and quality. I bought them for $108 a panel. I went to a different fabric store and picked out the same fabric. They gave me a price of $800 for the fabric and making them. I am going to go with the shorter rod. I just really like that look. Now the question is, do I buy the rings with the clips? The drapes have the pocket at the top so you can just slip the drapes onto the rod. Do I just slip them onto the rod? Which way do you think would look better? Carol, I bought the rug at Pottery Barn outlet. If I had bought it from the store it would have been at least $800. I went to the outlet and they had it for $600 with 50% off so I got the rug for $300. I was so excited. Thanks again everybody, once I get the rods and get them hung I will post pictures.
    ...See More
  • saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

(((((((Sheesharee))))))))
    It looks great!! Most importantly you said your DH, sis, BIL & you like it. The minor tweaks have already been mentioned...moving the sofas more towards the TV - don't worry about keeping the lamp centered in the window. For even more conversational seating....you could put the spider back chair where the wing back chair is & put the wingback next to the loveseat. Let the marble piece stand on it's own with a wonderful mirror or artwork over it.

Smiles:)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

It looks so much better, and as others said, it's most important that you all like it this way. The flow is so much more natural and not stilted this way. You done good!!

As an earlier post suggested, you can get carpet to stand back up by putting a damp towel over it, and then iron with plenty of good steam on top, it should raise the threads.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scoobyruby! I'll have to try that with moving the chairs around. How would I angle the wing chair? Towards the TV?

Nanny2a- Thanks! And I totally missed that above about the ironing! Thanks Ibmudpie! I'll try that later today.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I'd put a larger tree/plant (maybe the one behind the loveseat?) where the small plant and table are now.

If you had a "triangle effect" of a tall tv cabinet, a good sized tree/plant, and maybe a stack of pillows or something, it would really bring some color and weight to the area just to the right of the TV.

It looks so dang good, though. I'm just amazed at the difference.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Wow Sheesharee! It looks soooo good. The wall color and new drapes are perfect, and the new furniture arrangement is great.
    I always use the ice cube trick for crushed carpet.

1. After moving furniture and identifying number of carpet dents, gather one ice cube for each dent.
    2. Drop ice cube(s) in dent(s). Large or long dents may require multiple ice cubes.
    3. Let ice cubes melt in dent - preferably overnight. As the ice cube melts, the nap will begin to fluff up, reducing (and eventually removing) the dent.
    4. Check the results the next morning. If necessary, blot up excess water with white paper towel or colorfast cloth.
    5. If the nap hasn't recovered completely - or you just want to do some additional blending - use the fork to gently lift remaining carpet fibers.
    6. Hopefully, the dent(s) is gone. If not, repeat as necessary.
  • Susan
    15 years ago

i like it too!! the room looks inviting and warm.
    i keep finding out that i prefer furniture set an an angle somewhere in a room--wonder why that is?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scooby - I tried your suggestion about the chairs. I think it starting to make things a bit unbalanced again?
    {{gwi:1888348}}
    {{gwi:1888349}}
    {{gwi:1765337}}
    Reno - Tried moving the plant. I'm not grapsing the tiangle effect with the stack or pillows..? A trunk or something? Nevermind as trunks are usually brown. Wouldn't it start to look cluttered? I stuffed my poor little plant behind the sofa. Don't know where to put him.
    {{gwi:1888350}}
    {{gwi:1888351}}
    {{gwi:1888352}}

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

OMG, it's looking soooo good!

The "triangle" thing is a common decorating element. You want to stagger the heights of things in 3's or 5's. So if you have a tall tv stand, you want at least 2 other (varied height) items next to it to give it interest. (Same rule applies on table top decorating, bookshelf decorating, etc.)

I'd love to see the plant to the right, then the web chair. The effect of looking at that web chair against the wall is too cool, as the web design is so eye-catching.

See, here's where it gets fun. You have the bones right, so now it's just a matter of tweaking the smaller stuff to bring life, character and personality. What fun!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terriks - We must have been posting at the same time. Thanks! If ironing doesn't work I'll be sure to try the ice cube trick!

Fallingwaters - Thank you!

Reno - I've heard the the 3's and 5's thing I'm not sure what to add as a third thing with the plant and stand.

The plant to the right of the web chair... are we talking where it's located in last set of (3) pics? Right now the web chair is back beside the marble table and the wing chair is to the left of the stand.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Yes, leave the plant where it is now, right next to the TV cabinet, but then add the web chair right next to it. Don't worry yet about the 3rd element. Seriously, it could be anything; a stack of cute pillows, a stone topiary planter, anything. Or the cute little table that's next to the love seat may work visually as well.

You may have to work with the plant a little; pushing it back, pulling it forward, side to side, etc., to get the right layered effect.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reno - Hmmm... forgive me for being dense. I still don't know if we're thinking about the same thing. You want me to leave the wing chair to the left of the e.stand on that wall by itself. Keep the tall tree to the right of the stand and bring the web chair infront of the tree and later add a third thing? In my mind this isn't looking good. Ha I'm going to go try it and pray my camera batteries hold up!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

LOL! I understand....it's Sunday, the holidays are over, and my brain is a bit addled myself.

You got it. Leave the wing chair to the left, keep the tree to the right of the tv stand as it's pictured above, and then move the web chair next to the tree. Maybe later add a third thing. (Remember though, bigger things first. Work first with what you have to get that right, then you can always add smaller items later.)

Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back either way. The room has come so, so far, and looks amazing.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hi Shee! It's looking great! I know you have put a lot into the room and it shows! I promised you it would be worth it! The more I see your drapes, the more I am convinced they are the perfect color! Now, sit back and enjoy!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Like this? DH wouldn't move so here he is in his usual LR location.
    {{gwi:1766029}}
    {{gwi:1581821}}
    {{gwi:1888353}}

You don't think this looks like too much in front of the room? The branches aren't cooperating.

I need to center the marble table more I see.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! But center the web chair between the plant and small table, resting flat against the wall. Scoot the plant forward and toward the chair just a tiny bit.

No, I personally don't think it's too much on that side of the room. (But then again, I tend to be of the "more is more" decorating camp!)

But again, if you're not feeling it in person, certainly do what works. I can't tell you how many times I've recieved advice online that just did not/would not work in person. It may make a lovely, balanced looking photograph, yes, but sometimes can't be lived with in person.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

This has been a wonderful thread!!!!! I've followed it all along and had my ideas but waited and sure enough, someone would say the same thing. I LOVE the way the room developed and look forward to see the completion but I loved more the spirit of caring and helping one another. You've got a beautiful room there sheesharee!! The suggestion of putting the ec in the corner made it all work.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Yes, I really like the spiderback chair over there!! I love those chairs & it really shows itself over there with the sitting group alot better ~to me~ anyways. Just play with the plant & angle of the chair to where it feels right with the conversation group.

If you have too much space between the loveseat & EC...it looks like you still have room to move the the loveseat over some towards the EC & big sofa over, too. Does that make any sense? That would give you more space between big sofa & book shelves.

Doing good, girl.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the idea of being able to see the web chair when you came in the room.

I'm a more is more kind of person myself and need to be careful! We haven't even lived here a year and I've accumulated a lot of stuff. I don't want to end up a pack rat or looking cluttered. I love both Reno's and Scooby's house and think you ladies have great taste (as well as a lot of other people on here!) so I'm going to give me eyes some time to adjust/catch up!

here's some more pics.

straight
    {{gwi:1888354}}
    {{gwi:1888355}}
    slight angle
    {{gwi:1549908}}

poor marble table by himself :)
    {{gwi:1888356}}

If I move the sofa up more..I would have to push the loveseat down and it's down pretty far. If I move the sofa to the left a bit and up, it'll start to enter into the the doorway/walkway area and I need to keep the loveseat in the right angle with the sofa.? Ha now that everyone has no idea what I'm talking about! I'll look at it again tonight.

For a third object should I be looking for something with color? I have no idea what to stick there.

Where should I put that little marble plant stand with the small plant? Should it come out of the room? I have it behind the sofa and beside the bookends.

I think I'm going to boost that plant up a little inside the fast/pot thing.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Love it on a slight angle!

The marble table won't look so lonely if you can find a couple of small framed prints to hang above it. It'll be beautiful! It'll look more like an entry-to-the-living-room vignette, rather than just a table who's all alone.

For now, I don't think you need a 3rd element by the web chair. You have the tall EC, the plant, and the chair. They look great.

Maybe just find a decorative iron/scroll piece, or framed art to hang above the wing chair.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Yep, your good Sheesharee. I agree with Reno...angle & really you don't need anything else there with the chair.

Your marble piece (with those graceful lines, I think he's a she;) ) once accesorized and something hanging above it....will not be lonely. I'd keep it simple on the top of that, too - maybe an oversized tureen with dried hydrangeas or something.....

Sit back, enjoy...pat yourself on the back. The artwork will find you when it is time & you do not need much.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok cool. Scratch the 3rd element idea.

Scooby - Ha I guess it would be a she! You think I need to move my clock huh?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself again, but what size or how many of what should I be hanging on the main wall that you see when you walk in?
    I'm not good at this stuff and in order to keep my eye open it would help if I had guidance for this as well.

• mldao
    15 years ago

I really like the new layout of your LR. I'm in awe of people like renofan who can tweak a room all from pictures. I struggle to that IRL.

I agree with reno and scooby in that you need something on the wall above your marble table and wing chair. I'd check out Target and other discount stores (great after Christmas sales) for wall decorations. This is the fun part now that you've got the key pieces placed.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

My head is spinning from all the furniture moving (your aching back! But those glider things really work on carpet, just don't use them on dirty HW floors like my mom did).

About carpet - I would worry about soaking the pad and getting mold with the ice cube method, but I've had success just with a steam iron on "burst" mode held about 4-6" away from carpet. Give it a good steaming, kinda fluff by brushing the fibers sideways with the edge of your hand (let it cool slightly so you don't burn yourself), then let it rest a day before vacuuming with a beater brush attachment. If the depressions don't come out enough (may try that 2-3 times), then take a damp, not wet, white towel at least 1" thick, lay it over the carpet, and press with a hot iron just until the top of the towel is dry (the underside should still be a bit damp), use the edge of your hand again. Even after doing this, the depression may show but after the carpet dries and cools off try the fork trick and then vacuum it with a beater brush attachment and it should be a lot better. just give the carpet time to recover its shape (newer carpet will spring back better/sooner), though with a really heavy piece of furniture it may be permanently crushed. Good luck!

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say the new arrangement looks fantastic!

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

There is not enough water in an ice cube to do any damage to the carpet or pad. I wouldn't worry about it. I have used this method for years with no problems.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to report back to say I do really like the web chair near the tv with the plant now. It took a couple days of starting at it to decide. I've received many compliments on the new arrangement now so thank you again to everyone's help.

Haven't tried to fix that carpet yet but that's on my to do list at least by the weekend. Things have been a little nutz the last couple of days with birthdays and what not.

I know art is a personal thing but what should go on this wall? Anything? One large pic? A couple smaller ones? I need some guidance before I start brainstorming/shopping.
    *note this is one of the same pics above before I tweaked the chair and plant placement. Darn close to the finished pic.
    {{gwi:1766029}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reno - Were you saying about to put the small table flat against that wall? I took it as the web chair not at an angle. That's what I posted those pics with the web chair straight above.

Should that small table be situated different?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Reno - Did you mean the table like this? I also tried to take a pic of the table a little more in the middle instead of flat against the wall but my batteries died.

*notice DH AND Mossy are on the furniture instead of the floor for once! A miracle! :)
    {{gwi:1577987}}
    {{gwi:1888357}}
    {{gwi:1888358}}

What about art for that wall?

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, I just had to tell you that your LR looks AMAZING now! I don't have the talent to have told you what was wrong before, but it felt like something was "off". Now it looks fantastic!

I had to laugh at your DH! It seems like he's just *there* and you're moving stuff and taking pics around him. He probably doesn't give a hoot as long as he has his TV and football -- cracks me up!

I'm happy that it's coming together for you!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, I'd leave the table closer to the couch, but I'd be on the lookout for a larger scale lamp. If you had a taller lamp and bigger shade, it would give that area a little more visual depth.

For behind the couch (in the corner) it would fun to see a tall pedestal with a vase on top, maybe with an uplight?

Art is hard. That's why I go with iron scrollwork for the interim between "nothing on the walls" and "I found the perfect piece". I know people say don't buy something unless/until you love it, but my walls have had iron pieces hanging until I could find the "right" element before, and it works for me.

Hobby Lobby *always* has something I can use, and they have their 50% off sales all the time. I would probably do something like this above the wingchair, just until you found something you liked better.

{{gwi:1888359}}

• sc_irish
    15 years ago

Just have to add how much fun it's been watching this post and the developments achieved. Most of all, it just wonderful reading the commoraderie (sp) with which everything came to be.

Is this a great place....or what?

The room is coming along nicely. Now, you just have to be patient while waiting for the best things to find you. You'll begin to know it when you see it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Wow! I haven't checked back on this thread for a while. Shee, the room looks great with the new arrangement!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*Sigh* Reno I know you're right about the lamp size. I just love that little lamp. What about sticking it on the marble table!? :) Seriously, where would you put a lamp that small? I would think it's almost too small for a bedside lamp as well. I'll look for another one for that table.

The table closer to the couch the old way it was placed or the new way?

So nothing on the main wall you see when you come in (where the wing chair is against).

I like the idea of the tall pedestal with vase behind the couch. I kept thinking floor lamp but I really don't really want another one.

I know you should usually wait but it'll take me 3 years to find art if I wait. I do like iron stuff so I'll probably go with that idea. Were you referring to using one of those pieces above or all four like in the pic? I'll look around. Sadly, we don't have a Hobby Lobby here. I hear so much great stuff about them though!

Thanks again for bearing with me as I'm tweaking. It really helps when I have other eyes looking at this stuff.

Hoosiergirl - Thanks! Haha yeah DH is always asking if they're for my online buddies again.

Sc-irish - This really IS a great place! Thanks!

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I have been following this thread also. I just love all the advice you are getting. I would love to see now more photos of the whole room. I have no idea now where your bookcases are. Could you stand back and give the largest allover photo of room.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyban - Sorry about that! The room is kind of hard to take a picture of. The web chair beside the tv is the main wall when you walk in the room from the foyer/hall entrance. The bookcases are to the left of the entrance, behind the couch and across from the marble table.

I found these pics on my computer. I'll have to take some better ones when I get home tonight. The sofa is also scootched up farther from the bookcases for a bigger walkway there.

{{gwi:1888360}}
    {{gwi:1888361}}

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I've been following this thread with enjoyment but haven't commented because everyone was doing such a wonderful job of helping and the camaraderie among you was a pleasure to see. I've been looking at all the pictures, of course, and something was a little "off" in my mind which took me a while to figure out. The overall plan is great and really imaginative. What I realize I felt all along was that the wing chair stood out from everything else in terms of color in every picture. This is just my personal opinion and I hope I'm not offending, but to me it was the one thing that didn't harmonize in an otherwise very harmonious room. It may be that in real life it works just fine but I thought I'd offer that comment in case it has some validity and is of help to you.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ingrid - Nom you didn't offend me. The color is lighter then everything else in the room. I tried to help it along with the throw and pillow. I'd like to have one of "matching" pillows that came with the sofa and loveseat made into a small pillow for the chair.

At this point, I'd like to keep the wing chair but I see what you mean about the color.

Any suggestions about any way to improve that without getting rid of the chair?

• sheconquers
    15 years ago

How about an area rug, large enough to touch at least the wing chair so that it anchors it to the room? I didn't read all the posts so maybe someone mentioned that.

• rhapsdy
    15 years ago

Why not get a pillow or two for the sofa in a lighter fabric that would tie them in to the wing chair?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheconquers - I agree an area rug does help tie things together in a room but the carpet isn't even a year old. I can't bring myself to cover it yet. :)

Rhapsdy - I've had the dark green/brown looking pillows for about a month now. They're from JCP and I still have the receipt. However, I cut the tags off. . would they even take them back after that? They do have that same pillow in a lighter fabric. I was just looking at them tonight actually.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does the chair look that out of place? I don't think IRL it's as light. What if I swithed a different throw or something. My friend bought me a dark choc. brown throw for Christmas. Don't have it yet but probably in the next week or so when I see her. (we give each other lists)

Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, I don't know if I DO still have the receipts. Eek.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

shee: Wow, your room is really taking shape! Your instincts were right on with the new drapes. They look lovely. I like the new furniture arrangement much better. It looks much more balanced. Personally, I think the wing chair is just fine. It has sentimental value to you and I think adding a throw or pillow will do a lot to tie it in with everything else. I am a strong believer in incorporating items which have meaning and/or speak to you into your decor--otherwise it just looks like a staged home--lovely, but impersonal. About the only suggestion I can make it to consider a larger/wider sized planter for your plant. I know that is your DH's favorite location, but are you considering a coffee table?

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

Whew - I need more coffee. What a gorgeous room. But, back to your original post:

"for fear the rod might be stretched too far and collapse if pulled or bumped wrong.

I would think you can get a long dowel to go inside of the rod to give it strength. Just a suggestion...............

• funkyart
    15 years ago

WOW! It has been months since I have checked in on your progress (or anyone's for that matter). I am stunned-- your room looks wonderful. I love the warm, inviting color-- and it really works well with your wood tones and rich fabrics. I love the furniture arrangement -- your room was very nice before but ho hum.. you know, like everybody else's. No longer-- your room is a stand out and it enhances all your pieces.

A few thoughts--
    I also like the light wing chair-- you need the lighter color in there IMO. The throw really helps to bring it together with the other pieces and it looks cozy. I think something that may help in the future is a rug to connect all in the space-- are you a rug on rug person? Is DH? You could get one that is really soft to please the DH in his favorite spot ;)

I also like the little table at the entrance. A pair of framed prints would make a nice little vignette. A quiet pretty little spot away from the core. What is working against you though are the air returns and registers. I think you mentioned painting them the wall color? That will be a BIG improvement and I think you will like the space much more.

I don't have much more to add-- you have received such gracious help from so many. I just think everything is working and you have done an amazing job of sticking with it despite frustrations. It paid off, girl!

(and now I am even more ashamed that I havent made more progress myself.. sigh)

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Shee,

I've got an idea for you to tie in the lighter chair!! I've been lusting after this pillow for awhile now - it comes in a pair - not cheap, either - we'll split the cost - you get one & I'll get one!! I'm only half kidding here:) $375 but free shipping:) Crazy, huh?!!!! No, really I am kidding - there has got to be a knock - off of this pillow - I just can't do almost 190 per pillow right now!! But he is good looking, isn't he??
    The lighter field of the pillow would work on your sofa to tie in your lighter chair but that gorgeous pheasant has the deeper tones of the sofa. And of course it would be perfect in my den cuz of the pheasant fabric I have in my kitchen & I have a Danchin print of the hunt dogs with a pheasant in their mouths AND 2 wood carved pheasants on my table!! Hee hee:)

But, really, maybe a longer kidney style pillow for the sofa with a lighter background that has the deeper colors of the sofa.

PS. I do have a paypal balance if your game:)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Val - Thanks! So you think I should get a different pillow and throw for the wing chair? I'll admit I don't love that planter I just had a hard time finding anything. A different style? Not an urn type? Big, wide pot? I've thought about a coffee table. Even found one on CL awhile back I considered getting. I think I'm going to hold off though. I could see it easily becoming a place for STUFF to collect. Plus I don't want it to start feeling
    cramped. I may get one in time though.

Wantoretire - I never thought of a dowel rod. Really think that would work? Thanks for the idea and the compliment!

Funky - Since the carpet isn't even a year old I don't think I can bring myself to put a rug on there yet. If it were worn pretty bad and we didn't have the money to replace it, then maybe. Plus I think I'd need a pretty large rug, and what about the pattern since my futniture is, eee I cringe at the thought of finding "the one". Ha there would be many posts on here. I agree it would help to tie it together. However, the money we're spending in a couple weeks to have all the carpet FIXED (thank you Shaw) I could buy a nice rug. :) Maybe sometime down the road.

I painted the returns today. They look much better! I'll have to post a picture later.

Scoobyruby - That is a beautiful pillow! You are bad! I probably could bring myself to spend that on a pillow but DH ...haha. He would think I lost it. Ya know, I think you're the person on here that really got into pheasants all of a sudden. 1 year ago I wouldn't of looked twice at a pheasant or any type of bird print, etc. I find it interesting that this forum had kind of help mold me into my decorating style. Getting back on track, do you think I should still keep the other pillows on the couch except for the matching one in the middle, and try and find a kidney shaped lighter pillow to tie everything together.

I will say I was looking at the room again today and IRL the sofa and loveseat have the gold color that matches the bronze/gold pillows exact but looking at the whole room it kind of looks like the tan color of the wing chair.

What about the main wall with the web chair? Should any art go there or no?

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Shee,
    Really, I think your fine. (unless you want to split the pillows with me - hee hee) Your main pieces are good.....now your just into.....adding the stuff that really speaks to you when you see it.

I collect dog art done by a french artist Leon Danchin - see below link - I am dog crazy, thou so it really speaks to me. I have one that does have the pheasants. My DH duck & pheasant hunts. I personally think pheasants are gorgeous birds. I was just given the old Audubon blue heron that got worked into my den - we see alot of blue heron at our lake house - so it is another piece that really works with me. I also have quite a few Ray Harm bird prints - again, bird watching is a hobby of ours. I enjoy the hunt. There is a set of 4 antique dog prints at antique store now that I am drooling over.

I am just giving you examples of why I have certain things on my walls. You could just as easily find a great calendar of botanicals or birds or cats or dogs or stars or whatever & frame them. Tapestries, the iron scroll pieces like Reno mentioned, go to Goodwill, antique stores & just wait until something hits you! The 1st time I saw a Leon Danchin I was floored & knew I had to have one for myself.

I am being very rambly.....but also wanted to mention about a coffee table - I know I drew one in - but since DH likes the floor & you plan on having kids - I'd forgo one. I took mine out once wee baby DS got to moving around & then in came a Thomas the train table for awhile!! So after kids your den gets taken over by plastic toys for years:)

Here is a link that might be useful: danchin

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Scoob, Did you see the fabric my3dogs is using for her drapes? Look Familiar?