SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Pick a color, any color...seriously! At a loss for MBR

lkplatow
15 years ago

More than 2 years after the Great Stucco Disaster, we're finally, FINALLY tackling our master bedroom. Since the GSD, we've lived with gaping holes in the drywall for about 6 months, then with spackle and drywall patches all over the walls - it looks like we're living in new construction. This week, in an effort to insulate the house better, we took down all the window trim and baseboards and foamed behind them. Now the room is such a wreck that we can't possibly ignore it any longer, so I'm finally gonna patch all the drywall and paint so we have a bedroom again.

Only problem is I have NO CLUE what color to paint. Really, I'm starting almost from scratch here and since I so rarely have the chance to do that I'm at a loss. I want to keep the furniture and that's about it - everything else is up for grabs.

I don't have a pic (room is so destroyed now you wouldn't be able to see anything anyhow), but it's a smallish (15 x 12ish) master bedroom with 2 windows facing North and 1 window facing East (so kind of a cool light). When we first moved here, we painted it Duron's Soaring White (a very light yellowy cream), which looked great in our south facing MBR at our last house. Didn't look so good here - kind of washed out and blah. So I need a color that looks good (and not cold) in a north-facing room.

My house is styled after a 200 year old farmhouse and this bedroom has the same pumpkin-colored random-width pine floors as the rest of the house. The floors are pretty, so I prefer not to cover them up with area rugs, but I'm open to the idea. The furniture is colonial in style - a black painted pencil post bed and several antique shaker-style dressers and blanket chests. I like the furniture, though I do feel it restricts my choices somewhat - I can't go too modern-feeling with the bedding since the pencil post bed makes such a "historical" statement. My current bedding is a red and blue quilt and I'm sick of it, so I've been trying to find something new I like. I currently have a plain cream matelasse-style coverlet to start with and also an antique crazy quilt that has lots of great colors in it.

The rest of the house is painted pretty mellow - while I'm drawn to tropical colors, they wouldn't look right in this house, so I've avoided them and went with golds and creams through all the public areas, basically. The bedrooms have been a free for all - my kids picked their own colors so my daughter's is pink and my son's is blue. And I was thinking of going with something out-there for my bedroom too - I love, love, love apple green (think BM's wales green) and this room is probably be my last chance for an apple green room until we move. There is apple green in the crazy quilt, but I'm having trouble picturing an apple green bedroom with all this traditional furniture. I was hoping I could pull off something Susan-Sargent-y but I can't afford Susan Sargent prices and I'm not sure I'm talented (or brave) enough to pull that look off.

Another color in serious contention is robin's egg blue/aqua - I love that color, but am concerned that a) I'm not really a blue person and don't have much blue elsewhere in the house and b) it will look cold in the north-facing room. I tend to like warmer colors and that has steered me away from blue in all the houses I've lived in. I also recently saw a room in a magazine painted a light orange (not peach - I HATE peach) and loved that, but I'm guessing that a) orange isn't a good color for a bedroom and b) it will clash with the pumpkin pine floor.

So I'm stumped. If you got this far through my ramblings, thank you! Any input on the colors I'm considering or other color suggestions for a north-facing master bedroom are MOST apppreciated! Gotta paint soon before I lose my momentum and we're stuck living in new construction for another 2 years!

Comments (6)