SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancingcook

Maple countertops - should we seal/oil/protect edges too?

dancingcook
14 years ago

Hello,

I've been reading lots of ideas and suggestions on this site as my kitchen reno progresses (slowly!). I have maple cabinets, and chose maple with black walnut edges for my countertops. I'd read a lot about wood/maple countertops, and have read all about bb on this site, too. I was excited to have natural wood. But, when the installers came 2 weeks ago, much to my surprise, the wood was dry, not treated at all. The KD said it should be oiled with mineral oil, so the installers wiped one coat of oil on and left. The plumber came the next day to hook up sink, dishwasher etc., and left water marks all over, even raised bits of wood. After crying and getting angry, I spoke to KD, who came to look at it with installer. They sanded and re-oiled, then left me a bottle of mineral oil and said oil it daily for a week. This I've done, and the wood just soaks up the oil so that it's dry a few hours later.

Now, what I've been worrying about, and complaining to KD about is the parts of the countertops that are not getting oiled - against the walls, next to the stove, and the bottom of the countertops (everything I've read says the top and bottom and all sides should have been oiled prior to installation). I'd really like to have them all removed, properly treated, then reinstalled

Question to you all: am I worrying for nothing? should I keep up the fight with the KD? what are your experiences and advice?

I have to say that they look absolutely gorgeous as the oil brings out the lighter maple and the deep black walnut edging.

Comments (9)