SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Are honeycomb shades durable with kids?

lithigin
13 years ago

We are going to get blinds for our 12' front window array in the house we bought this summer. (We currently have the curtains left behind, which I think are lovely, and white sheers, but hate dragging them across the windows for a semblance of privacy when they don't cover it all). We have a nearly 4 year old who doesn't mess with household things or pull or climb, but with another on the way and another 18 years of kids in the house, I don't want to make a shortsighted decision based on price.

Anyway, we priced out Kirsch woodgrass-type roman blinds with cordless mechanism at $1000-$1200 depending on style, and Kirsch honeycomb shades with the same mechanism for about $600 or $1200 (we'd get the woven wood before the pricier honeycomb). These are initial quotes from a high end curtain shop; we haven't price shopped yet.

How durable are those honeycomb shades? They seem to be made of a woven paper/Tyvek type material. All of the samples at places like Bed Bath & Beyond are torn and ripped and I wonder if they are fairly delicate and tear or crunch easily with kids around. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)