SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

what to put on either side of the fireplace after my giant goof

susanwrites
13 years ago

So I goofed. Big time. 6 months ago I bought some beautiful solid oak bookcases with lovely fluted edges on the shelves on craigslist. I could totally picture them on each side of the fireplace after the whole house makeover.

Bookcases were moved on their side behind a couch in the library. They've been there for a few months. Enter the carpenter who created a new fireplace for me that was more in keeping with the house. A fireplace I love. With a mantle I love.

However, and I cannot believe I was this stupid, but we did not keep the width of the bookcases in mind before the mantle was installed so now those bookcases won't fit.

Besides the fact that I need to think about where I am going to put all the books that were supposed to go there I am having trouble picturing what to put on either side. I don't have the money for custom, not after all the stuff we've done the last few months. I could get short ones (if I could find them on craigslist) but they won't help with the storage of the books. I needed more space.

So I'm trying not to think bookcases right now. Maybe someday we can have something made to fit but not now. I've been looking at pictures in the gallery trying to see what people have done on either side of the fireplace but it seems to be either bookcases or windows. Since I won't have either of those, what kinds of things are people doing?

I could look for a pair of chests, but that would be rather matchy matchy and probably expensive. A chest on one side and a bench on the other?

This is the room.

It will be the dining room so there will be a dining table, a sideboard, a buffet and a display cabinet. None of those pieces are small enough to go on either side.

Would love to see pictures of fireplaces in the middle of a wall that don't have windows or bookcases on either side.

Comments (43)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio