SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Reflections on minimalism --notes from the laundry room kitchen

sayde
13 years ago

with apologies to Mark Bittman. Attended a book signing a couple of months ago and took note when he said he had gotten rid of all his cookbooks because he didn't have space for them. We know it is a badge of honor with him to cook in a little NY apartment kitchen. I admit to the appeal of his asceticism, and even to some nostalgia for those simple grungy grad school digs.

But never thought to be back there. Shortly after we started our demo, came home to find DH in the basement laundry room completing the hook up of the gas rangetop that he had just taken out upstairs. I knew he would be making some kind of little cooking space down there to make his doggie burgers (for the dogs, trust me). But was surprised to find an entire "grad school grade" tiny kitchen -- shelves, bins, a counter, microwave, a drawer, the Breville countertop oven and of course the ancient laundry tubs for water. Two dorm fridges from my son's college days, plastered over with Moon Ska and Stratton stickers, topped by the big box of red wine with a spigot. Room to chop, room to assemble and even a table and chairs. I knew we were in for a long siege then.

The surprise is that it is kind of fun. Kind of. Like camping out. The dishwasher is sorely missed. But I am getting a big lesson (again) in what is really needed and what is not. Sometimes I have to dig through the packed boxes for things I really must have right now -- the Zyliss cheese grater, the mezzaluna and round chop bowl most recently. I had packed almost everything away not expecting to be doing any real cooking, not knowing what was coming.

This may get old quickly. But in the meantime we are eating well and my DH in his wisdom knew that it would be a whole lot less stressful for both of us to have this little kitchen. Oh, and it is even (mostly) white.

Delight in unexpected quarters. Meanwhile, upstairs . . . . .

Comments (8)