SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

What's 'the look' for bedrooms (older house)?

theresse
12 years ago

Hi there -

This is particularly with regard to curtains and rods (at least curtains). Any cool trends for bedrooms that are somewhat period-appropriate in an older home?

BACKSTORY:

I've only lived in older homes and bizarrely they've always been 1913 homes! For years, in the '90s mostly, I had white tab top curtains - kind of a flowy gauze-like material - for my bedroom. Then I got some pole-top velvet jacquard Pottery Barn curtains (mix of caramel, cream and brown colors I think) which felt more sophisticated but which I recently gave up cause their busyness didn't allow me to ever buy new bedding or throw-pillows that weren't a solid color - I was just ready for something new.

WHAT I JUST BOUGHT BUT CAN STILL RETURN:

SO I just went back to boring white linen (lined) Pottery Barn curtains again (can't seem to find anything better anywhere else and I'm not going to pay more than I would at Pottery Barn). But I'm second-guessing myself cause I'm being anything but unique here! I bought new black-colored rods and placed them in a higher and wider-than-windows configuration so bought taller curtains and now all that white feels kinda, I don't know... not sure if the word is sterile or overly-dramatic!

OTHER DETAILS ABOUT BEDROOM TO HELP GIVE YOU AN IDEA:

My bedroom walls are a childish periwinkle sort of color (more blue than purple) which I've had for longer than I care to admit (I'm 42, BTW). I thought of painting the walls a tan-ish color but that's already a pretty outdated look I'm guessing. Would love to do something fashionable, while it's fashionable, for a change! ;) I have a black rod iron bed and antique bronze (black) Pottery Barn double curtain rods with sheer white curtains behind the main ones and black rod iron P.B. laps on my nightstands as well. Below is the link to the black rod iron king-sized bed I have. Maple floor (long thin pieces, original). Hope to get a throw rug eventually too.

p.s. I'd like to eventually get a nice upholstered king headboard but I bought the black rod iron curtain rods to go with the black bed even though I think even that look's going out as well - haha. I love the look of those sort of aged nickel looking curtain rods (like a cross between golden brass and silver) - especially with an upholstered headboard - but oh well; I can more easily change the rods than the curtains, oddly enough (curtains cost more plus require hemming in my case).

Thanks for reading all that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutherford bed by Charles P. Rogers

Comments (5)