SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

By request: My soapstone fissure/crack (photos)

bayareafrancy
13 years ago

Sis2two asked me to post some photos of the fissure/crack in my soapstone. I'm making a seaprate thread for them so that anyone who might be searching for fissure/crack info or pictures can find it easily.

Some of you old-timers are familiar with my sad story. Brief recap: I bought my slab from M. Texeira in San Francisco, and had a fabricator in Oakland do the install. When it was completed, we found a fissure/crack that goes across the width of the counter. Things got a bit ugly with the fabricator when we tried to resolve the problem. M. Tex wouldn't take any responsibility for the stone once it left them, and they insisted the flaw was a 'crack,' i.e. damage done to what was a perfect stone during fabrication. The fabricator (who was pretty unpleasant to us, to put it mildly) insisted the flaw was a 'fissure,' i.e. a flaw made by nature that was already in the slab when M. Tex sold it to me.

Fissure vs crack wasn't ever resolved with them. At the time, I believed M. Tex because their representative was just wonderful in dealing with the nasty fabricator. I had arranged for her to be present when the fabricator came to inspect the stone (surprise! Look who's here!). I can't say enough nice things about how she supported us, and because of her presence, the fabricator ultimately refunded our money.

After living with soapstone for a couple years, and after examining the remnants of my slab which I obtained after this incident, my own conclusion is that the flaw seems to be a 'fissure.' Here's why: the flaw extends into the remnants, and sadly, I recently discovered it on a separate counter piece cut from the same area. All in all, the flaw was at least 5 feet long (I don't have remnants from the both edges of the slab to know if it actually bisected the entire slab). It goes all the way through to the back side the stone. Although it is very long overall, it is not one continuous line: In some areas, part of the line stops, and then immediately appears again parallel to the other. In other words, it is sort of staggered all the way across my parts of the slab. Is that 'crack' behavior, or 'fissure behavior'? It is perfectly smooth, but I think cracks can usually be felt.

But I'm no stone expert. And this whole fiasco is why I always, always recommend that people buying soapstone (probably any stone) should have the same person supply and install the stone. Had M. Tex done the install, they said they would have replaced it.

Ok. That was a longer recap than I thought it would be. On to the fissure/crack. These photos were taken over the course of 2 years, and show different stages of oiling/patina in the counters. So they don't all look the same.

After the initial oiling. The line is very obviously different from the surrounding stone. This is when I first found the fissure/crack.

Closeup of the front edge, showing the fissure/crack extending all the way through the counter.

2 more recent pictures (counter not freshly oiled):

"Vertical" view

"Horizontal" view

Re: future damage. This is what terrifies me the most! Several months ago I put a hot cookie sheet on a DIFFERENT section of counter. Some time later, to my absolute horror, a small bit of the same white line/fissure/crack appeared on the front surface, extending down the front edge, through the entire slab!! Prior to this, this flaw had not been visible ('fissure' behavior, or 'crack' behavior?) I only have 3 small sections of counter in my little kitchen, and now I cannot put hot things on 2 of them (*sob*). One of these days I am going to experiment with putting hot objects on the remnant that has the fissure/crack, so I can get a clearer picture of how to treat the areas.

Sis2two, I hope that helps you identify what your mark might be. Let me know if you have any other questions. (Email me so that I have your email address in my inbox. That way, once I get around to experimenting with the remnant, I can contact you and let you know the results.)

francy

Comments (25)