SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwendolynne_gw

Met my favourite artist, got a print signed...had to rearrange

gwendolynne
16 years ago

Hubby mentioned in passing one morning last week that he had noticed an ad in the newspaper saying that my very favourite artist (Robert Bateman) was going to be in town for two days, and you could meet him at one of the galleries that sells his work. I went the first night and met him and he signed my coffee table book of his art. As I stood there, I was watching all the people ahead of me in line buying prints and having them signed and the wheels started turning in my head, but the gallery didn't have ANY of the prints I've been drooling over for years.

Fast-forward to the following day at lunch, in the middle of a snowstorm - I decided to take a drive to the other gallery he was visiting and lo and behold, there was my print! I bought it and left it for him to sign, but when I showed up much later to pick it up, he was still there and since I was the last person in line, I got to have another lovely conversation with him. It must have been meant to be :).

That said, the best place to hang the print is over the living room mantle, which necessitated some rearranging, although I think it's for the better. I think I FINALLY know where I want this room to go. Please help me with this vision!

Here's the room right now (empty spot to the left of mantle will probably get another black and white landscape photo). This is the most functional layout this room has had in two years:

The subject matter and the frame are quite rustic, which works well with the pine mantle. There's a bit of a crazy mix of finishes in this room (pine, fine walnut/mahogany, wrought iron, silver, leather, Ikea....) but I think that after two years of messing around in here, the direction is finally becoming clear. I like the idea of sort of an upscale English country feel, fairly masculine, with suiting-type patterns (herringbone, tweed, plaid) in creams, tans and grays. I'll keep the colours light to keep it from being too dark and manly and I'd like to keep the organic feel of some of the pieces (natural artifacts, etc.)

Things that are in the room that will stay and could also affect style direction are our growing collections of antique maps and books and the "cabinet of natural curiosities" (travel artifacts and the like). It would appear that I'm also quite drawn to bird sculptures - they keep following me home! I'm quite sure the paint colour will need to be tweaked at some point, that's fine.

I love the colours in the picture, all soft, warm grays and straw-colours with a little hit of orange in the fox:

I think this room really needs a rug, I have some FLOR samples coming because they have some nice cream/tan/gray stripes and such in their Martha Stewart collection but I'd be open to suggestions. Particularly like this one (might pick up the blue and gray in the fireplace tile?):

Or is less colour better?

I've been looking at the velvet drapes at Restoration Hardware, they have a few shades of creams and tan that are nice, although I'm quite drawn to the Lava....

Here's the Crema:

Not sure if the upholstery on the armchair will stay (hubby really dislikes it), the chair was inherited but is in great shape. Current upholstery is black/gold/gray. I'd be willing to wait and see if it works, and if not, change it. I like the idea of upholstery in flannel, houndstooth, maybe a little bit of cream-on-tan tartan...lots of texture and cozy stuff.

The two chairs in the bay window are my dining chairs and they can't stay there forever. Would a couple of wing chairs be too overwhelming there?

Ideally I'd love to change out the sofa for something lighter - daybed-style or a loveseat, but that won't happen until we finish the family room in the basement and the sofa goes down there.

I need some new lighting too - the black torchiere and the square-shaded Ikea lamp have to go. I'm thinking of putting a picture lamp over the print, but not sure if I should go with bronze, brass or something else...same goes for drapery hardware.

I think I've finally found the right path for this room, please help me stay on it!

Comments (13)