SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Is this a train wreck or just demo day doubts?

lascatx
12 years ago

I am in the midst of a major flooring change -- nearly the entire first floor going from a mix of light tiles and carpet to a wood that is turning out to be darker than what we thought we were looking form. The stuff that was delivered is a bit darker than the samples, but my only doubt there is the dust from tile removal that may ever clear the air. The wood will go in the entry, formals and master bedroom.

My I-don't-know if-this-is-a-train-wreck-about-to-happen comes at looking at the cork that is supposed to go in the kitchen, breakfast and family rooms. At one point, that was going to be the same wood, but between worrying about things being dropped and dinging the floor in the kitchen and the fact that the wood seemed as hard as the tile while the cork softer and reminded me of a favorite pair of sandals, cork kept tugging at me. The cork is similar in depth of color but has more red than the wood. What they delivered seems a bit redder than the samples and more evenly that color than I was expecting (samples seemed to have some shade variation that I am not seeing so far). We were planning on running the cork perpendicular to the wood so there would be a change in direction and texture. I wanted the feeling of continuity but not the look of an intended match that missed. Then the flooring guy said it would look like we tried to match and missed -- he was thinking we were going to run it all the same direction -- but still. I'm trying to decide whether to freak out and make a change or go with it. The fact that is has been cloudy is not helping.

I don't know if I have any choice, but I'm not convinced this will be great. Thoughts? Advise?

Comments (14)